• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How to Delete OS off of Hard Drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

Hello, I just got a solid state drive and I'm going to be installing the OS on it tomorrow, and I want to take the OS off of my hard drive. HOWEVER I don't want to delete all of the programs and files off of it. Is there a way to do this, or do I have to wipe the drive completely?

I think he means the data stored on his HDD. You could either make an image of that drive and clone it to your SSD and then delete your files. Because you can't use the programms on the HDD anymore when you install your OS on the SSD. My favorite would be voodoo's first option: Backup your files and and format the drive. The advantages of this method are that you have a clean install on your SSD, no clone, and your storage HDD is free of any programm or OS residues.

I think he means the data stored on his HDD. You could either make an image of that drive and clone it to your SSD and then delete your files. Because you can't use the programms on the HDD anymore when you install your OS on the SSD. My favorite would be voodoo's first option: Backup your files and and format the drive. The advantages of this method are that you have a clean install on your SSD, no clone, and your storage HDD is free of any programm or OS residues.

So in other words I should just wipe the HDD completely after backing up my files, then putting the files back on it once I have installed the OS on the SSD?

So in other words I should just wipe the HDD completely after backing up my files, then putting the files back on it once I have installed the OS on the SSD?
:thup: That's the way I'd do it - everything's nice and fresh then :)

Back