• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you play yours? Blurays...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

I've done a fair bit of reading about the pap being a pain in the sack. All of which is from a few years ago. I stumbled across one bit of media software that could decode truehd but not dtshd, can't remember its name now?

So how does everyone deal with their blurays? Is there a decent bit of software that'll play most things out of the box? With full HD audio?

Is ripping it first a better/easier idea? If so what software and how do you do it? What kind of file sizes are to be expected? I've heard ripping the audio as a flac can retain the hd quality, but does it retain the surround format?

I rip them in with MakeMKV and then compress them with Handbrake. No disks or crappy software to deal with and I can play them in any operating system.

I rip them in with MakeMKV and then compress them with Handbrake. No disks or crappy software to deal with and I can play them in any operating system.

I do it almost the same way. Only difference is I leave the uncompressed MKV on my NAS, then use Handbrake to downconvert them to 720p MP4s for use on my phone. Plus, the E-450 in my HTPC can't handle the straight MKV rips.

I find it's easier to watch than running my external bluray drive between PCs. Also, I don't have to worry about the bluray DRM working with any specific bluray player (found that out the embarrassing way when my copy of Watchmen wouldn't work with a friends Samsung player, even after waiting an hour for the firmware to update.)

Same here, I rip with MakeMKV and then I use handbrake to create 720P M4V files. I also leave the DTS stream untouched as I run PS3 Media Server and alot of new BlueRays use CinnaVia protection. Leaving the original stream intact allows me to stream the original DTS audio and eliminate that problem. The resulting output files are usually around 2.5GB

To add to this if I may......

How do you guys play BR DISKS...... I dont have the luxury to burn most of them since I use Netflix......

Wrong terminology... HOW DO I PLAY FROM THE DISK. HBMC (or w/e) doesnt work even with the plugin, PowerDVD or w/e I dont want to pay for and doesnt work on all disks.

I have BR DISKS that I need to play in a BR optical drive without ripping burning w/e the hell. LOL

AFAIK there is not a single program which will play all BR disks. If you intend to watch directly from disk you need a couple of different applications. ArcSoft Total Media, and PowerDVD are the two most popular.

Wrong terminology... HOW DO I PLAY FROM THE DISK. HBMC (or w/e) doesnt work even with the plugin, PowerDVD or w/e I dont want to pay for and doesnt work on all disks.

I have BR DISKS that I need to play in a BR optical drive without ripping burning w/e the hell. LOL

You need BD playing software. Ordinary DVD software is not compatible. TotalMedia 5 is a good option imo.

Edited by MattNo5ss

Last edited by a moderator:
Mindrot,

For future reference, it's against the rules to talk about what I edited out of your post.

I do it almost the same way. Only difference is I leave the uncompressed MKV on my NAS, then use Handbrake to downconvert them to 720p MP4s for use on my phone. Plus, the E-450 in my HTPC can't handle the straight MKV rips.I find it's easier to watch than running my external bluray drive between PCs. Also, I don't have to worry about the bluray DRM working with any specific bluray player (found that out the embarrassing way when my copy of Watchmen wouldn't work with a friends Samsung player, even after waiting an hour for the firmware to update.)

That's a shame because my $35 RaspberryPi plays my uncompressed 25GB-36GB BluRay rips (using MKV as well) fine at 1080p (only 5.1 Audio, though, cause I don't have a 7.1 or 8.1 receiver)

That's a shame because my $35 RaspberryPi plays my uncompressed 25GB-36GB BluRay rips (using MKV as well) fine at 1080p (only 5.1 Audio, though, cause I don't have a 7.1 or 8.1 receiver)

Huh, weird. I'll check again, maybe I was doing something wrong, since it'll do 720p and 1080p if I lower the bitrate in handbrake, but not the straight files.

I just got a Blu-ray disc playing last night on my XBMC box (XBMCbuntu) with just MakeMKV. I tested it with Avatar and it played fine. Smooth playback although I'm having issues with DTS-MA and the Dolby True HD, but I think that's a separate issue.

Huh, weird. I'll check again, maybe I was doing something wrong, since it'll do 720p and 1080p if I lower the bitrate in handbrake, but not the straight files.

Is that playing over the network or on the local HDD?

I just got a Blu-ray disc playing last night on my XBMC box (XBMCbuntu) with just MakeMKV. I tested it with Avatar and it played fine. Smooth playback although I'm having issues with DTS-MA and the Dolby True HD, but I think that's a separate issue.

I have this working within XBMC on my Windows 7 HTPC, only problem with this method is that it doesn't work with episodic Blu-ray disks, such as the Star Trek TNG season 1 and 2 blu-rays.

Is that playing over the network or on the local HDD?

Network, but I doubt it's an issue with the network itself. My desktop is attached the same way (gigabit ethernet), and it'll play the direct rips fine, even when other computers are accessing it. Either way it doesn't matter too much, as the TV the HTPC is attached to is only 720P anyway.

Network, but I doubt it's an issue with the network itself. My desktop is attached the same way (gigabit ethernet), and it'll play the direct rips fine, even when other computers are accessing it. Either way it doesn't matter too much, as the TV the HTPC is attached to is only 720P anyway.

I feel the same way about it really. I have the space to storage them uncompressed but I reencode them to 720P anyways.

Why would you store them uncompressed? There is no benefit. It looks and sounds exactly the same, but takes up substantially more space. :confused:

Back