• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about AMD OC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gankfest

Registered
I have a M4N98TD Evo that I'm over clocking with a 965 BE for the first time, and had a couple of questions I couldn't figure out on my own.

1. When people say my overclock is 19x220 are the saying my reference clock is 19 and my multiplier is 220?

2. I've read that for the PII 965 BE the soft cap voltage is 1.425, and the hard cap is 1.55. Does this mean that degradation won't impact the chip at 1.55 and below, or at 1.425 and below? Also, is there a chart showing the change in degradation as voltage is applied?

3. Where can I find information on max voltages for my Mobo(NB, HT, etc...) and Ram? I've looked on the Asus site and couldn't find anything about it there... I found everything for the Phenom II, but nothing on Mobo and ram. I just don't want to fry my stuffs. :)

All I got for now. Thank You for the help!

1. When people say my overclock is 19x220 are the saying my reference clock is 19 and my multiplier is 220? >> You have it 'reversed'.

2. I've read that for the PII 965 BE the soft cap voltage is 1.425, and the hard cap is 1.55 >> Those are 'nothing' but guesstimations. There is no "rule of voltage" rather only what most seem to find as okay voltages.

3. Where can I find information on max voltages for my Mobo(NB, HT, etc...) and Ram? I've looked on the Asus site and couldn't find anything about it there... I found everything for the Phenom II, but nothing on Mobo and ram. I just don't want to fry my stuffs. >> You will never find anything for real about ram or motherboards because no manufacturer is going to give limits of voltage for other parts and run the risk of going to court for some other part burning up.

When we slip on our overclocking boots we also take responsibility for any failure on our own shoulders. None of these overclocks are guaranteed by voltage or otherwise.

This link to thread in our forum here has about the best ideas I have ever read anywhere. There are a couple of links in the thread that lead to other reading as well.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384756
How Overvolting Works, The Dangers of Overvolting, and "Safe" Overvolting Technique

EDIT:
I will also say this. I have an FX-8350 that I over-volted somewhat heavily and got some real good overclocks for benchmarking. BUT THEN I realized I did have a good cpu and I choose to NO longer use those high voltages just to reach what are really not useable overclocks and instead I use much lower cpu voltage and a lesser max speed in order to better keep that good cpu alive. So what I was able to do changed to what I am willing to do.
END EDIT.
RGone...

Last edited:
+1 Rgone.
we have to find and set our own limits for the most part.
the denab cpu's seem to all get unstabe at around 55c.
they have a voltage that they get unstable at but it's best not to discuss that in the open forum because people might just plug those in and pop the lesser gear.

Thank You for the responses, I will take a look at that voltage guide tomorrow; as I don't have the time tonight. I might have some questions still, but I want to read that first and see if that answer my questions.

Thanx!

they have a voltage that they get unstable at but it's best not to discuss that in the open forum because people might just plug those in and pop the lesser gear.
Caddi forgot to add to the beginning of this statement "I have hit voltages" :D

Yes, I agree C_D that these outrageous voltages are not for someone writing in that they don't want to fry their stuff. Crap I never think about frying anything for some reason. I just get to the point that I am unwilling to add more voltage. Now that I have read the link about How Overvolting Works, The Dangers of Overvolting, and "Safe" Overvolting Technique, I am pretty sure that once the migration begins there is no return from it. Now I had rather not go so far. Hehehe. I remember you saying to put that FX-6300 on the FatLady and get that 5.5Ghz Cpuz validation and I said to self, we are going to get 5.5Ghz validation come whatever voltage. And we did. But I surely would not suggest such a Vcore for long periods of time. Oh well. Over and out.
RGone...

Hey thanx for the link to the guide, that really helped me out.

Hey thanx for the link to the guide, that really helped me out.

If you are referring to the > How Overvolting Works, The Dangers of Overvolting, and "Safe" Overvolting Technique < link then I think you probably did get some very good information.

I do a lot of reading and looking that I know I likely will never buy and was over in the NewEgg DIY users reveiw stuff on the Sandy Bridge-E 3820 and 3930K cpus and saw a 'few' not many that were reporting that they had run their processors for months and had found that now they could no longer do the 4.6Ghz at 1.4Vcore. You hardly ever see such mentioned at all. Mostly a cpu just quits. But I expect there is a very real reason to exercise some caution with some of the processors.

We have heard very few overvoltage and failing issues with most of the newer FX type processors, but there is still the distinct possiblity. That link is why I decided to reduce the amount of Vcore I would just throw at my FX-8350 since I seemed to have a good FX. But the link also made more clear in my mind why I have always approached overclocking as a hobby that could have some problems that I must fully expect but do not often happen unless I have one of the processors that just is going to be a dud. Good luck to you man.
RGone...

Yup it's a nice guide, but I'm having this problem with the vdroop on the M4N98TD Evo. I have the voltage at 1.45 and VDDA at 2.8, and when running prime95 my voltage in cpu-id is dropping to 1.372 - 1.396 and BSOD. Is there anyway to make it stop doing that...?

Yup it's a nice guide, but I'm having this problem with the vdroop on the M4N98TD Evo. I have the voltage at 1.45 and VDDA at 2.8, and when running prime95 my voltage in cpu-id is dropping to 1.372 - 1.396 and BSOD. Is there anyway to make it stop doing that...?

As far as I know there was n0 spec calling for a certain Vdroop on AMD until the FX processors were released. At that time the "good" AMD 9xx chipset boards supporting FX processors had a well working Bios menu item called CPU_LLC or similar that could be enabled and somewhat adjusted to offset Vdoop.

I think the N in M4N designates an Nvidia Chipset motherboard of an older series platform and doubt greatly that any bios version for that mobo has any support for CPU_LLC or similar naming. If too there is no bios menu for running Offset Vcore then your only choice on that older board is to give the cpu enough initial cpu voltage to take care of the drop in voltage to cpu under load. Especially so if P95 Blend mode or similar is failing under stressing. That is what we basically had to do for years with the AMD cpu and chipsets. OR in some cases there was a physical Vdroop mod that some did on boards that some user had found worked, but it was not for those unable to solder or setup variable resistors.

I think you are just stuck with the Vdroop and must add Vcore initially if Vcore droop is causing stress testing to fail.
RGone...

Got any good recommendations on a board that doesn't have this feature added, or one at least that can be controlled though LLC?

Thanx

Gankfest, it depends on how much you want to spend and what your plans are. I have a 955be sitting on a Asus M5A99X and I really like the way it overclocks on that mobo. I run it stable at 4.1 24/7 and have had it as high as 4.6 and it does have cpu llc control. Though I tried putting my Fx 8350 on it and overclocking past 4.5 stable was impossible for me. So if sticking with the 965 I'd recommend that board if it's available.

EDIT: Just browsing through Newegg I saw a few boards that I'd recommend
Gigabyte GA-970A and 990A UD3
Asus M5A99X/FX

I also believe the Asrock Extreme 4 is a decent board but I don't have any experience with it on the AMD side. These are just a couple of the lower priced boards I saw, there are others for more money.

Last edited:
So I'm currently trying to break into 4.0ghz zone on this board, and with the ridiculous vdroop I have the voltage up to 1.5625 manually; which is 1.552 in the bios reading under hardware monitoring. In CPU-Z and HWinfo it says voltage is between 1.568 - 1.584 idle, and 1.504 - 1.556 under load mostly averaging around 1.540.

I've read that AMD announced that 1.55 was safe max temp for this chip, and people can over volt to 1.6v on a good air cooler with no heat or degradation issues... Is that true? My temps are only around 55 - 57 with prime95.

About the motherboards I was looking at the Sabertooth which is $170ish, and a gigabyte UD3 I think for 140ish. I know the Sabertooth is a great bored, but didn't want to overspend on something that was overkill for my chip. Wanted to get something that had llc and the least vcore drop, but would give me OC ability to 4.2ghz - 4.4ghz... Want to run 24/7 to as close to 4.2ghz as possible.

Thanx! :)

A few things that stick out for me in your last post:

So I'm currently trying to break into 4.0ghz zone on this board
. I'm not going to say you can't but some chips just may not go over a certain mhz, no matter how good the board is. I would say the probability is good that you will be able to go higher with a better board, but there is always a possibility you cannot.

I've read that AMD announced that 1.55 was safe max temp for this chip. We have found that these Cpu's will start becoming unstable around that area. For benching purposes I have pushed mine higher but it is nowhere near stable. If running 24/7 you will want to be cooler then 55c.

Wanted to get something that had llc and the least vcore drop, but would give me OC ability to 4.2ghz - 4.4ghz... Want to run 24/7 to as close to 4.2ghz as possible.. There becomes a point where trade off between the amount of voltage required to run a cpu at certain speed and the benefits of that speed have to be taken into consideration. I know for my 955be going from 4.1 to 4.2 required a significant amount of voltage and the gains were just not worth it.

I know for my 955be going from 4.1 to 4.2 required a significant amount of voltage and the gains were just not worth it.

That 4.1Ghz on Deneb 965BE seems the place where I would guess >95% of those cpus take a 'real' Vcore boost to run the next 100Mhz up the scale.
RGone...

So wanted to post back on my progress...

Most Stable OC:

3.9GHZ 270x15 1.55v
1800mhz 9-9-9-24-34
2700 NB 2160 HT

Looked at a lot of motherboards for AMD, but was thinking of switching to intel for 15 2500k since it's so cheap now... Didn't know if those chips were still beast for gaming overclocked or not. I know if I get an IB I'm going to have to delid it and replace the TIM; which seems like to much work for barely any performance gain in gaming... Really only doing this to pump more FPS into FFXIV and for s**ts and giggles; it's fun seeing how far I can get something to clock. :)

What I have found between my 2500k and my 955be. I find the 955be to be much more fun to overclock. This is because, it is more of a challenge to do so when really trying to push it. As far as my 2500k goes it's a great chip, I have had mine up to 5.3 on Air for benches, runs 4.7 24/7 and it's easy to overclock. Up the multiplier and add voltage accordingly, that's it. Performance wise it blows the 955be out of the water, it's not even a comparison.

Back