• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

grounding issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcore

Registered
Hello everybody.Realised all of a sudden,while walking by my PC and having a testing screwdriver in hand,i give the PSU a touch,just for fun and i realise that it is giving me the "load" indication!I keep up with some chasis bolts and it is still giving loads.Same goes with PCI cards bolts.Its not like the indicator is all lit up,but i can clearly see,that the little lamp does light up a bit.I have been running with that case for almost three years,without any hickups.What do you think of that?

Nobody curious enough,to take a tester and repeat the "touch" to see if is having the same symptomps?Everybody so sure about their grounding?

check your wall outlet. touch the ground hole, be positive certain it is the ground hole.
if it lights up its a wiring fault of your house.

Thanks for the concerne.
It does light up.Anyway to overcome the issue?

Getting an electrician to your house to track the problem down would be the next logical step to me.

sounds like your breaker box is wired wrong they likely have the white (neutral) and copper (ground) linked together on the ground bus in there. which is fine it just doesnt let any kind of grounded safety measures to work like gfi or surge things.
my house is like that for the time being it was that way when i moved in. just haveto be more careful, im in the process of redoing it all though.
my ups also shows a wiring fault light on when its plugged in.

That sounds really Shocking wagex, i hate to stick any fingers anywhere near your electrics, you would end up like a electric Cat Fish on Steroids my friend!! :eek: ;)

Edit: No wonder all the Catfish are Blue down there, something to do with the Electrics you all!! :p :rolleyes:

But on a more serious note i have my own separate copper earth wire, which goes to the copper water pipe, which in turn goes outside the house. This earths my PC totally separate from any household mains earth. ;) :thup:

AJ.

The outlet has only two cables in it and they are not connected,by any means or mistakenly,to eachother,i am saying that there is no ground.Perhaps anywhere before the outlet or at the panel the electrician did it wrong.The point is,could i plug something inbetween outlet and plug to make things safer for me and the system?

Actually i am with european shuko,i guess nearest electric shop should have something,now that i got the idea...

i give the PSU a touch, just for fun, and i realise that it is giving me the "load" indication!

The outlet has only two cables in it and they are not connected,by any means or mistakenly,to each other,i am saying that there is no ground. Perhaps anywhere before the outlet or at the panel the electrician did it wrong.The point is, could i plug something in between outlet and plug to make things safer for me and the system?
That terminology confuses me. :D

You're not getting a "load" indication but an indication of voltage.

I'm not sure what you mean by two cables aren't connected. Normally duplex (dual) AC wall outlets come from the factory with both outlets connected together, but they're designed to let you separate them from each other by breaking bridges, or tabs, that normally connect them together, to turn them into split outlets, meaning outlets that are wired completely separately:

receptacletab.jpg

p_SCW_187_03.jpg

This is often done when it's desired to have one outlet connected to a wall switch. However the two outlets are still connected together at their ground sockets.

I don't think it's safe or legal to just add a ground wire between the AC outlet and plug, and I don't think it's a good idea anyway because if the AC outlet isn't grounded, it's easier to just add a ground to the outlet, rather than to any adapter.

You're feeling an electric shock because your computer has 2 identical small capacitors in its AC line filter, one connected between chassis ground and neutral (white wire), another connected between ground and line/hot (black wire). Each one drops the same voltage, so when the chassis isn't connected to Earth ground, the chassis will be at half the line voltage, or 60VAC. Fortunately those capacitors are designed to safely allow ungrounded operation like that because they're so small in value and have to meet special safety certification (unless they're uncertified).

You may be able to check the AC outlets for proper Earth ground with a surge protector or backup supply equipped with an indicator light that glows when plugged into a grounded outlet. There are also outlet testers that shine 3 lights when the outlet is wired properly. A voltage meter can be used instead, but you must be very careful to not touch its metal probes or let either test leads to come unplugged from the meter. The meter has to be set to read at least 200 volts AC, not DC, and it is very common for meters to read zero volts from AC outlets because of poor contact or oxidation.

My bad indeed,them two only (no ground ) cables,are not connected to eachother even by mistake,sure i would know if they were,i know.As for the term "load",please forgive the terminology,i am not used to talk,using electrical terms,english is not my native language.I am not feeling any "shock",just an indication of a leak,as expressed formerly.I personally changed a couple of years ago the wall outlet to a "shuko" and did notice that there was no third,no ground cable.Anyways,proceeded and had no issues whatsoever until noticing the "load".Already asked for anything inbetween,an adapter,that could ground the specific outlet,its a no go and i fully understand why not.Only an electrician could,by adding a ground cable from "electric panel" till the wall outlet.That is,if there is not something else that could be done.

Back