• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware temp sensors on mobos. I have a ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quantumburnz

I have the K7S5A ECS board, haven't had any problems with it. I have a Duron 900 in there, and my temps are about 43 degrees for system temp and 53 for cpu temp. My question is, I saw on a post somewhere that someboards are actually tacking the temp of the core of the CPU now. Is this true? Could this be the reading of my core instead of the CPU? How would you tell?

Next question is, I probably need more cooling too. I'm going to put an 80mm fan infront of my case to push some cfm's in there, and I see lots of good cheap ones on svcompucycle.com but is there another place to get better ones? Or are these pretty good?

When I overclock my CPU, I'm going to do multipliers first of course, but about how hot should thing get before I should be concerned? Not hotter than 60 degrees?

All my temp are in celcius and the CPU has a full 100% usage load on it because of folding@home. Thanx a lot.
Chris.

they do have on-die thermal diodes now, but your Duron does not:(. Only XP and MP processors do. Maybe the 1ghz+ Morgan Durons, but I'm not sure.

The CPU temp reading is from a little thermal diode in the middle of the CPU socket. Even if the diode touches the back of the CPU- and most don't- it is a very inaccurate measurement. In most cases the actual CPU temperature is higher than what the diode reads.

You should be a little worried about your CPU temps. I wouldn't try overclocking until you get it down to the 30s. Overclocking raises your temps a LOT, and yours is already running warm. But don't worry too much- if your case doesn't have an 80mm fan up front right now, when you find one to buy and install it your temps will just shoot right down.

Personally I buy all my fans locally so I don't know where to get them online. Good luck!:D

thanx guys

Ya, I'm gonna get some cooling on there very soon, I'm checkin out crazypc right now, it's pretty cool too. Any ideas of how many CFM's I should be pushing out through the front?

try to get it more or less equal front to back- like if your front intake fan does 30CFM, try to get a rear exhaust that also moves 30CFM.

The key is to get as much all-the-way-thu-the-case airflow as possible, and not have air get 'stuck' and force it's way out the sides, cracks, etc.

CFM ratings on fans are usually bogus anyway, static pressure is the important reading which of course is almpost never given. Just get the highest rated fan that doesn't have a noise warning on it, i say:D

Back