• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell me if my overclock is good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UTGamer

Registered
OK I just overclocked my 1.6a to 2127, after 40 minutes of playing quake3 my cpu temp was 52 degrees celcius, it idles at 35-37, does this sound safe to you guys. Also the mobo temp was 41, it also idles in the 35-7 range. Specs are as follows:

P4 1.6a Stock HSF
Asus P4S533
Mushkin 512 PC2700
WD 80gig 720RPM

Thanks, I figure quake 3 is the most intensive program I am gonna run so if those temps are good I'll just quit and be happy with my 2.1 ghz processor :)

Any overclock is good. Running a 100 FSB CPU at 133 FSB is a nice overclock. I just checked at newegg.com and looked at Northwood prices. The 1.6a is $139 and the 2.2 is $239 so you saved about $100. I'd stay right where you're at unless you get better cooling (CPU cooler, Arctic Silver thermal paste, and case fans), but your system probably will go higher if you wanted. If you just used the heat pad that came with the retail heatsink, I would at least recommend replacing that with a good thermal paste and if you have no case fams, at least add one 80mm to the lower front to pull fresh air in (there should be a place to mount it). You should notice a few degrees drop in temps.

Last edited:
Im using some thermal goop my dealer gave me to use with the heatsink and i have a side case fan that is 80mm sucking air in, I also have 3 small fans in the fornt that fit into a 5 1/4 slot but they arent working atm I have to see whats wrong with it, maybe I pulled a wire too hard or something.

:D Excellant overclock except the temp, try to cool that thing down a little bit.

Back