• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me to Overclock AMD FX-4130

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZomgHelpMe

Registered
My system specs are
Power supply 750 Watts Blazar Edge
AMD FX-4130 quad-core @3.8GHZ Black edition
ECS A970M-A Deluxe
HyperX Kingston 8GB RAM 1600mhz
Nvidia ASUS GTX660 OC
120GB SSD A-DATA S510
Windows 7 64bit

i just bought this new computer for gaming i play blizzard games specially starcraft 2 hots expansion (cpu intensive game)
and i was hoping to at least overclock my fx to 4.2ghz with the stock fan, i have been achieved it but when in game, after like 10 minutes of SMOOTH nice game play 60 fps :attn: starts to lag to 5 fps then i have to restart because whole computer lags :(

i didnt got past 55 degrees celcius on my tests and even before gaming i stress my cmputer with prime95 over 1 hour and half with no problems temperature was from 48 degrees celcius to 52 max
my multiplier was always at 20x
memory clock on 220mhz
voltages were 1.250 on cpu core,
spread spectrum off, Cool n quiet option off, c1 state off,

windows power settings are also set to maximum performance

thanks in advance ! i would really appreciate lots, but lots if someone can help me with a guide specially with this motherboard and cpu combination since i have been looking night and day for this kind of combinations and wasnt lucky finding any tutorial for it

im all eyes and brain guys i hope for answers soon!:comp::salute:

Last edited:
with a guide specially with this motherboard and cpu combination = I doubt you will find anyone in here overclocking that mobo. It has n0 reputation for being overclock friendly.

even if i already managed to 4,4ghz without hitting 55 degrees? i mean there must be a hidden option in bios that i am not setting right please, anyone else give more feedback ive been 5 days breaking my head trying to find out why it starts lagging im sure it is a setting in the bios but i cant find wich one it is :(

ECS A970M-A Deluxe Motherboard Review at overclockers club. 6 + 1 Analog VRM.
I would mention that without a few features of it's more expensive 990FX chipset boards, overclocking did require more voltage than it otherwise might. The impressive overclock of 4789MHz did also create quite a bit of heat requiring a heartier cooling solution than you will be able to find in the 35-40$ range. While the A970M-A achieved a very good OC, heavy 24/7 overclockers will probably opt for the added features of the 990FX chipset... OverclockersClub << quoted from overclockers club.

In none of the bios pictures at OC review was there any setting for DISABLE APM and without that settting the board will throttle the cpu for various reasons and the FPS will be all over the place.

thanks.. is there a way via software to change it? other way i spent all my $ so i have none left atm and dont have for another motherboard atm... thanks for the info

There is a thread in this forum section about disabling APM. AMD AOD will often do it but you have to do it EVERY boot. MSR Tweaker was what I found would do it for some users. Thread was probably late 2011 or early 2012. I just saw one user that it was not working for on some cheap board yesterday. No idea why his still throttled and there is no way since most of us do not buy the cheaper boards. Not yet anyway.
RGone...

Thanks i downloaded the software, but now what do i do? should i do the whole overclocking from there? also since im new what voltage should i use or hoow to overclock from this software thanks..

The initial idea was to be able to disable APM on your cheaper board without the good settings. So I did not suggest to overclock from AMDmsrTweaker at all. You could if you want to learn how. Most used AMDmsrTweaker just to disable APM and overclock from bios.
RGone...

alright so i apparently found how to disable APM in this Motherboard and it's this option called
AMD C&Q Technology Disabled now,

Is ther any other option i need to know about before overclocking?

alright so i apparently found how to disable APM in this Motherboard and it's this option called
AMD C&Q Technology Disabled now,

Is ther any other option i need to know about before overclocking?

The truth is you do not have to disable anything to overclock. Nothing at all. Just that some results are different. Depending on various boards and bioses and maybe a few other factors that are different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

AMD C&Q Technology = is n0t attached to APM on any other brand of motherboard that the most of us have heard about. C n Q is to reduce the multiplier and applied cpu voltage at IDLE or non-loaded conditions only. C n Q should never effect the cpu speed when under load. That by AMD specifications.

DID ECS thru some bios maniplulation contrary to every other motherboard manufacturer, tie or link Application Power Management to C n Q? Who knows what ECS might do. I doubt it though. They could ignore most other manufacturing protocol and AMD specifications and do as they please I suppose.

I have a rather pricey but good Asus CHV non-Z motherboard. I have cooling enough to exceed 5.2Ghz stable with my FX-8350 8 core processor. I also have in my possesion but not currently in use the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX motherboard that will do the same overclock of my 8 core FX-8350 when cooled by the same components now in use on my CHV non-Z motherboard.

I can overclock either of those motherboards to 5.2Ghz and beyond with Cool N Quiet = Enabled. C1E = Enabled. C6 = Enabled. APM = Disabled. My cpu is not throttled under load by the cpu or the motherboard or by software in the operating system. Either of those motherboards with Win 7 in use can be set in Windows 7 power management to idle the cpu at a Min speed rate of 5% speed or greater and I use the 15% number and also go then to the next choice in Windows 7 power management CPU setting and choose the Max cpu speed to be 100%.

So the question of what else to turn off to overclock is a function of the design of the motherboard and functions desgned by AMD and implemented by each motherboard manufacturer.

I will say this in the end. Using google search I find few of those motherboards in use. I find fewer still discussed as to how to overclock them. My memory is only just fair, and I do not remember any of that model of motherboard being used by a poster asking for help. Not surely since the FX processor series came to retail in Oct 2011. This means that much of any testing to see what works on that motherboard will come from 'your own' testing. We do not generally have any baseline of that motherboard to draw on in giving reliable advice. If disabling C n Q has somehow also disabled the latest version of AMD APM as implemented in the FX processor, then that is just a great thing for you and glad you found it and myself and most of us in the forum are very glad for you. We would never have found such an odd set of circumstances since the other manufacturers do not do such a thing in the bios. Good luck and best wishes to you and your overclocking endeavors.
RGone...

thanks.. i think i will have to wait and buy a new motherboard, also i dont think it was cool and quiet from amd, since i tried disabling it and i still got the FPS drop till i have to restart in game.. after 10 minutes again, i think it's the motherboard, i am just going to try and switch the multiplier x20, and stock speeds, to get a stable 4ghz overclock without modifying the voltages , that might work? or do i have to give some more energy.. any advice would be fine and thanks again for your support really you got me out of so many doubts i had, well it is a bit sad since i wont be able to play as i wanted but oh well.. i will keep trying to overclock with this motherboard, and i will tell if i get a stable overclock to share with everyone whos got the same computer as mine

Frequency default 3800 MHz
Turbo frequency 3900 MHz

AMD does not give that cpu but 100Mhz on turbocore mode so they must not think it will speed up very well or were trying to hold it to 95W TDP.

AMD does not publish stock voltages for any FX processor that I have been able to uncover. So it is just about impossible to guess what voltage your board is giving the cpu to begin with. So how much to raise the voltage to the cpu is just about unknown. Heck raise the voltage to the cpu to 1.4Volts and see if 4.0Ghz is doable. Only you can find out what that board and cpu will do under a load. Luck.
RGone...

whats the difference betwen nb voltages and cpu voltages?? im a little bit confused
and wich one do i have to modify since when i modify cpu voltages theres no change in cpu-z voltage its still at 1,116V

nb voltages and cpu voltages = they are n0t the same at all. One is for the CPU Voltage and the other is for the North Bridge which normally does not require any modification.

Cpu Vcore needs to be made greater when overclocking at times. Not knowing anything about that ECS bios you might need to find that Review Thread at OverclockersClub and look at the bios pics they have and see where CPU voltage is shown. Like I triied to explain earrlier, we have never seen any user with the ECS board and cannot say what ECS has done in bios.
RGone...

thanks so much Rgone i give up on overclocking and reset everything back to normal settings... running at 3.8ghz is fine but now i find this problem, when playing games sometimes spu-z shows the speed is down to 1,4ghz for no reason!! and i dont know how to get it back work to 3.8ghz everything is on stock settings what is going on? and whenever it wants it goes back to 3.8ghz like anti heating automatic system but weird thing is that the temperatures are not over 40 degrees!!° ??? what do i do next, this ****ing amd and this motherboard is killing me, now i decide to not overclock and is still giving me issues.. sorry and thanks again for all your help.

additional info when working good multiplier is at 19x 200mhz (stock settings nothing modified)
when the lag begins the multiplier goes down to 7x WTF? ( nothing has been modified)

I also really doubt there is any damage to my processor since i was always careful with the temperatures and never went over 65 degrees over 15 seconds so i really doubt that did any damage to the CPU was always working under 50° degrees on all my overclocking fail tests

Back