• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-1 for guitar Hero +1 for us real musicians

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Play guitar some myself, and personally I really like the Guitar Hero series. Firstly, it is nothing like a real guitar, but it does give people the sense they are contributing to a song and thus in many cases makes the players want to take up a musical instrument to contribute in real life. Secondly, it is just a fun game to play. That being said, I don't blame Gibson, they do have to protect their property to stay alive.

This is the stupid lawsuit ever. Gibson is obviously doing it purely for the money since they waited 4 years or so to actually take it to court.

NO PANIC! WE HAVE FOUND THE DUMB!

ok i get it now, and this is lame of them. glad i cant play music, even in crappy games.

It's taking away "REAL" talent from our kids and making them more into a couch potato's and not really accomplish anything at all but a dang high score on the wii or the 360.

I know I'm no BB-king / slash when it comes to playing guitar but it makes me feel good that I don't have to resort to a plastic controller.

Resort? Resort? Who resorts to playing video games? It's called recreational fun. You know, the reason we play video games.

Hey wait, you're on to something. We should get rid of shooters too, because the kids won't know how to hold a gun when they first get one.

Oh! And we should sue racing sims such as Forza and Gran Turismo because we all know people that play the games can't drive like that in real life.

And while we're at it... sports games! Let's sue Madden, FIFA, MLB, everything, because most people that play those games can't play the sport in real life.

Gibson is retarded for suing, along with this argument, and you aren't too far behind.

Gibson is retarded for suing, along with this argument, and you aren't too far behind.

wiat huh? too far behind what?
every one is open to have an opinion but if your opinion isnt along the same lines its not really a reason to get nasty aboot it.

yea i got on some ones case about PSU's earlier but all i hear any more is "if you dont spend a ton of money its a crap PSU and it'll kill your comp d00d" so i called him out but i didnt get nasty about it.

i agree with you that games is games and that this is a stupid lawsuit but man really with some one else here?

Anyone else see this comic and think of Derek?

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070509

I lol in any other "real" guitarists who act like this. Grow up

LOL, I saw the thread and thought of the comic.

I don't like guitar hero... but that's because I play guitar and i suck at GH :D. Mainly though, I hate all of the stupid posers who play GH and think they know guitar/music. You'd be surprised at the morons that play the game that think they're so cool and awesome because that's all they do. I had one kid tell me that Buckethead was a terrible guitarist because for the song "Jordan" he doesn't pick, strum or pluck the strings, but relies on a killswitch (and legato). :rolleyes:

That said, I love RockBand (drums/vox) because of either:

a) i'm not too good at drums because i don't have my own set
b) RB Drums are very similar to actual drums, same concept on a smaller scale

Regardless, Gibson's got a stupid lawsuit and hell if they get anywhere. But I can see why some people hate the game so much. It's because of the stupidity it has spawned from kids who have nothing better to do and then gloat about it.

For the record though, I love pretty much all rhythm games... DDR/Stepmania, Um Jammer Lammy... AudioSurf, anything and I'll probably like playing it. GH I don't really hate as much anymore, but I hate the posers it's uncovered, and the huge *** trend it's started and the following it's gathered. I also hate the iPod trend as well... and uggs, and north face, etc. I'm an antisocial ******* :)

It's strange that no one (that I can find) complained about Dance Dance Revolution, Parappa the Rapper or any style of music/beat game, while 'real' guitarists are protesting against Guitar Hero. Anyone who claims to be a musician because the play Guitar Hero is just as bad as those 'real' guitarists who bash the game because it isn't 'real'.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous law suit I've heard of in 2008 so far. They should be laughed out of the courtroom.

And what does that mean?

I wouldn't touch that game if my life depended on it.

you don't have to play it if you don't want to.

But publicly voicing your opinions about why you dislike a game is then up for scrutiny. Thats the price you pay for saying that you don't want anyone else to play a game you don't like. People have a right to defend their position on the subject as well.

Just as you have the right to scrutinize my dislike of most sports game.

Just don't get upset if your opinion is different from 100 other people's opinions, especially if they would like to voice their opinion as well.

as i said, its the nature of stating your opinion in the public. Once you do that, its then allowed to be debated. ( which i see NOTHING wrong with that, as long as its done in a semi-tasteful manner. and no flaming arises. )

you don't have to play it if you don't want to.

But publicly voicing your opinions about why you dislike a game is then up for scrutiny. Thats the price you pay for saying that you don't want anyone else to play a game you don't like. People have a right to defend their position on the subject as well.

Just as you have the right to scrutinize my dislike of most sports game.

Just don't get upset if your opinion is different from 100 other people's opinions, especially if they would like to voice their opinion as well.

as i said, its the nature of stating your opinion in the public. Once you do that, its then allowed to be debated. ( which i see NOTHING wrong with that, as long as its done in a semi-tasteful manner. and no flaming arises. )
No problem mate.

but I found my self chuckling at the comic as well.

maybe my timing did inprove and I wouldn't touch this game if my life depended on it.

Derek, try playing the game for a few minutes before you base judgment. i thought the same thing, but you know what

i ended up buying it and within 3 months I'm already playing hard and expert songs, I've gone through easy / medium / half of hard already

sure, at first, i said OMG this is hard and just getting the timings down, and other tricks with the songs that I've learned i have progressed considerably

don't knock it till you try it man :beer:

the game's objective is to entertain an individual, isn't that the same objective that a acoustic or electric guitar has?

For the record I started out playing stepmania (fingers) and then bought Guitar Hero. I'm pretty amazing at both... Afterwards, I bought a real guitar and for a years worth of play everyone that's seen me play is very impressed.

Perhaps people who are better at the game would be MORE inclined to spend the real dough on a guitar and give it a whirl.

My g/f's brother has been playing real guitar for years and is unreal at the game. The skill transfers in that direction only. I can play GH moderately well but can't play real guitar to save my life.

Back