• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-1 for guitar Hero +1 for us real musicians

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My g/f's brother has been playing real guitar for years and is unreal at the game. The skill transfers in that direction only. I can play GH moderately well but can't play real guitar to save my life.

I disagree, from personal experience I'd say skill can transfer either way. The only thing needed to play guitar is great timing and that's what GH is all about. Sure it doesn't have 6 strings but you still get the general timing of when to hit a note, and both fingers have to use the same motions you would as a guitar with fingerwork and whatnot (not so much for chords though.)

My g/f's brother has been playing real guitar for years and is unreal at the game. The skill transfers in that direction only. I can play GH moderately well but can't play real guitar to save my life.

I wouldn't say so. I'm pretty good at guitar if I say so myself (though I should be better for having played as long as I have... that's the trouble of being self-taught and unmotivated), but I can hardly pass GH songs on hard/expert. I did do LTR on GH2 on hard, failed it, tried it on expert and passed it right after. Weird.

I LOVE DDR though. I'm not too good, my best is AAing Rhythm and Police... I still have yet to be able to pass Max300. Of course, all on heavy and on pad. I suck keyboard, I can't do crossovers as well as on pad.

Seinken: Guitar is much more than rhythm. Rhythm is a huge part of any music (and I'm still apalled when someone says they can play something on guitar/bass/drums/any other instrument but can not even get remotely close to matching the rhythm of the song). The hard part of guitar is syncing your hands IMO. Then of course dynamics, how you fret and how you pick. But syncing is a huge part of it, and GH definitely can train one in that sense.

Haha, passing GH songs on hard/expert is superhuman imo. I can't begin to fathom how people can do that. I play on medium and pass everything short of Through the Fire and the Flames. I have trouble when the orange button is thrown in.

I wouldn't say so. I'm pretty good at guitar if I say so myself (though I should be better for having played as long as I have... that's the trouble of being self-taught and unmotivated), but I can hardly pass GH songs on hard/expert. I did do LTR on GH2 on hard, failed it, tried it on expert and passed it right after. Weird.

I LOVE DDR though. I'm not too good, my best is AAing Rhythm and Police... I still have yet to be able to pass Max300. Of course, all on heavy and on pad. I suck keyboard, I can't do crossovers as well as on pad.

Seinken: Guitar is much more than rhythm. Rhythm is a huge part of any music (and I'm still apalled when someone says they can play something on guitar/bass/drums/any other instrument but can not even get remotely close to matching the rhythm of the song). The hard part of guitar is syncing your hands IMO. Then of course dynamics, how you fret and how you pick. But syncing is a huge part of it, and GH definitely can train one in that sense.

yea for some reason some songs are easy on expert

my favorite songs are as follows

The killers - When you we're young (Hard)
Heart - Barracuda (Hard)
Pat Benatar - Hit me with your best shot (Hard/ expert )

call me a masochist but i kinda like trying TTFAF

Haha, passing GH songs on hard/expert is superhuman imo. I can't begin to fathom how people can do that. I play on medium and pass everything short of Through the Fire and the Flames. I have trouble when the orange button is thrown in.

in time young padawan :) i had problems with medium at one point, i am getting used to the darn orange button, but its hard on some songs

i'm dreading trying to pass 3's and 7's and stricken lol

Some people say that expert is sometimes easier than hard because it is closer to the timing in the real songs but I fail at anything over medium so I've never been able to see this for myself.

I play on medium and pass everything short of Through the Fire and the Flames. I have trouble when the orange button is thrown in.

TTFAF is harder on medium than many songs I have played on expert.

I'm on the PC version and imported some of the songs from the other games (which I own - bought just to import) and I can get 5 stars on More Than a Feeling on Expert, along with passing many others, yet I can't pass TTFAF on medium.

My favourite songs are:

Killer Queen (expert)
Cherub Rock (hard)

Last edited:

Not superhuman at all, it really isn't that hard it just takes practice. Seeing as how I don't have the game, and when I have the chance to play it I don't, there's why I can't pass expert songs. I think I should restate, I can pass almost all of the songs in rockband guitar on hard, having played the game (GH and rockband) under 10 times.

And I am qualified to land the space shuttle under manual control (something that has only ever been done once IRL) because I can do that in Orbiter. Also, I am a great general because of all the hours that I have wasted playing RTS games. And did I mention that I can take on the entire contingent of demons on Phobos because I can do a spped run in the original Quake?

Meh, games are games and should not be confused for what they simulate. Except for one game.

Anyone down for a round of Heroin Hero?

I heard if the lawsuit falls through, Activision is coming out with Keyboard Hero. And you can head to head with a friend in a Pianist Battle. LOL.

Not that most of you know who they are or care, but if it were a Rickenbacker guitar style they'd copied, they would have been sued within a matter of hours.

They aren't being sued for copying a Gibson guitar for the controller. You have to read the story to see why they think they have a lawsuit hehe.

You're thinking of Doom, not Quake.

OK, that was my bad. Whatever, my point is still valid. Just because I am any good at any game does not mean that my skillz will translate to real life.

Let's take guitar hero as the example. Sure, you might get some speed and strength from that. But there is far more to music than that. The four buttons on the controller can, at best, represent four frets. But which strings? A played note, a hammer or a pull? Let's not even get into vibrato, tremolo or legato.

I heard if the lawsuit falls through, Activision is coming out with Keyboard Hero. And you can head to head with a friend in a Pianist Battle. LOL.

I will take that as a joke, however it was intended. It does yet point to something else. GH obviously only has four buttons plus whatever is going on down at the bridge. Keyboard hero would probably have eight buttons. At least with eight buttons, you could actually play real music.

If you can transpose chords, nearly the whole of western music can be played entirely on the black keys. Heck but Irvine Berlin (before most people's time) wrote most of his music that way. Some of his hits include White Christmas, God Bless America, Anything you can do (I can do better), (Nothing but) Blue skies and Puttin' on the Ritz. And they were all written on the black keys, which is F#maj for us musicians.

Back