• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-1 for guitar Hero +1 for us real musicians

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey no problem Malpine it was a long time ago. I don't even know where the original Quake takes place. I think it was called 3DFX glide or something ;).

• Gibson has a no basis for a lawsuit in my opinion since they let thier product be used for a good deal of time in addtion their patent seems different that what GH does.
  • I have seen more people start playing guitar due to guitar hero than I have seen people play GH when they could be playing a real musical instrament. I would almost make the point that guitar hero could be a good thing for the music industry.
  • I will agree that people who think they are cool because they play guitar hero are a little lame.
  • People would still play GH type games without the special controller. I belive Frequency and Amplitude sold reasonably well, just not as well as Guitar hero.
  • I play guitar hero instead of real guitar because I stink at actually playing real musical instraments, because I am close to tone deaf. I do almost as well at guitar hero with the sound off as I do with the sound on.

And can we please avoid flaming specific people, lets keep this discussion civil please. Everyone is entitled to thier opinion.

• Gibson has a no basis for a lawsuit in my opinion since they let thier product be used for a good deal of time in addtion their patent seems different that what GH does.
  • I have seen more people start playing guitar due to guitar hero than I have seen people play GH when they could be playing a real musical instrament. I would almost make the point that guitar hero could be a good thing for the music industry.
  • I will agree that people who think they are cool because they play guitar hero are a little lame.
  • People would still play GH type games without the special controller. I belive Frequency and Amplitude sold reasonably well, just not as well as Guitar hero.
  • I play guitar hero instead of real guitar because I stink at actually playing real musical instraments, because I am close to tone deaf. I do almost as well at guitar hero with the sound off as I do with the sound on.
And can we please avoid flaming specific people, lets keep this discussion civil please. Everyone is entitled to thier opinion.

Rhythm games sell very well. Ever heard of DDR/ITG/PIU, BeatMania, UmJammerLammy? You covered Frequency (which is kinda similar to audiosurf as well). It's not just GH. GH is a big one though because it has become a huge trend and gained a huge following (Much of which I loathe due to the posers and "i'm so cool" crowd within the following).

Regardless, I don't really have much against GH. Rockband is better though.. solely because of drums. Drums in RB are very similar to real drums.

I didnt mention DDR because I was thinking of games that don't have a special controller, but yeah there are a ton

I didnt mention DDR because I was thinking of games that don't have a special controller, but yeah there are a ton

You can play stepmania (engine used for ITG) on keyboard, DDR games you can use with a controller as well. Rhythm games are awesome though.

Also.. elite beat agents for DS :)

My 1p

Just so were clear, I have never played either Guitar Hero, or a Guitar, so, take what I say with a pinch of salt.

In the time some of my friends have spent playing guitar hero, tghey could have actualy learnt to play guitar.
That seems a stupid use of time.

Why do I not think the same of all gaming?

Well, in the hours I've spent playing Halo, I could not become a Spartan.
In the hours I've spent playing Close Combat, I could not have become the commander in charge of Operation Market Garden
In the hours I've spent playing Supreme Commander, I could not have become an ACU pilot.

Ect ect ect.

It just seems really crazy that in the amount of time (and for less money) than it costs to buy and complete guitar Hero, you could buy and master a real guitar.

For shame, musicians of all people being narrow minded and xenophobic towards people who simulate playing a guitar in a videogame?

I've never shot a gun in my life, but I've racked up thousands of headshots in FPS shooters over the years. How is this any different?

Most people don't have the time or resources to play guitar for real. If they do, cool. If they don't, at least respect them for playing guitar hero and having fun trying to get to the real thing.

DDR is to dancing as Guitar Hero is to playing guitar, it's the best we can really do in the videogame world for common everyday activities.

Hate to break it to you mate, but the time it takes to be reasonably skilled at a real guitar is significantly longer than the time it takes to be reasonably skilled at guitar hero. Assuming it's the same person. SOme people obviously could learn real guitar in a 15 minute sit down session and a couple hours of practice. Others take years before they get anywhere.

The learning curve on Guitar Hero is significantly lower than that of a real guitar. The cost of entry for Guitar Hero is significantly lower than that of a real guitar.

The return on investment for learning to play a real guitar is disproportionately higher than the return on investment for learning to play guitar hero.

Even the most meager 3 chords on a guitar can be used far more effectively than beating Through the Fires and Flames on Expert. Ever hear a little tune called Hey Jude?

My 1p

Just so were clear, I have never played either Guitar Hero, or a Guitar, so, take what I say with a pinch of salt.

In the time some of my friends have spent playing guitar hero, tghey could have actualy learnt to play guitar.
That seems a stupid use of time.

Why do I not think the same of all gaming?

In the hours I've spent playing Close Combat, I could not have become the commander in charge of Operation Market Garden
In the hours I've spent playing Supreme Commander, I could not have become an ACU pilot.

Ect ect ect.

It just seems really crazy that in the amount of time (and for less money) than it costs to buy and complete guitar Hero, you could buy and master a real guitar.

Thats kind of my point.

Unless your a sniper in the UK, US or Canadian armed forces, you cant shoot people in the head, and that certainly requires much more than 100 hours of practice

A guitar costs less than Guitar Hero and it just seems like in the time spent playing guitar hero, you could learn guitar.

As I said, I have no intention of doing either, its just something I noticed.

Thats kind of my point.

Unless your a sniper in the UK, US or Canadian armed forces, you cant shoot people in the head, and that certainly requires much more than 100 hours of practice

A guitar costs less than Guitar Hero and it just seems like in the time spent playing guitar hero, you could learn guitar.

As I said, I have no intention of doing either, its just something I noticed.

I can assure you that a guitar does not cost less than guitar hero, and the time spent learning to play guitar (effectively) is significantly higher than the time it takes to learn to play guitar hero effectively.

It took me a month before I could play a simple song even remotely resembling the song it was supposed to be on the guitar. took me 15 minutes for Guitar Hero ;).

So as I said, the time investment is significantly higher to learn to play guitar hero. Sure it's higher than other games, where you can be a military sniper in 5 minutes, but it's still not approaching the same level of investment as learning guitar for real

Guitar Hero is idiotic...

It's like saying that typing on a computer is better then talking.

Really now?

Since mid December, I have spent over $1,600 on musical equiptment, including a Hartke 500 watt head, a Genz-Benz 2x12 cab that will accept 600 watts and a Schecter 5 string 35 inch scale bass.

This is, of course, not counting the rest of my home studio that has cost me more than $10,000 over the past 15 or so years.

How much does it cost to get into guitar hero?

Really now?

Since mid December, I have spent over $1,600 on musical equiptment, including a Hartke 500 watt head, a Genz-Benz 2x12 cab that will accept 600 watts and a Schecter 5 string 35 inch scale bass.

This is, of course, not counting the rest of my home studio that has cost me more than $10,000 over the past 15 or so years.

$200 :p

Unless you want to add a 5.1 system + HDTV + Rockband

Then maybe $6,000 if you're stretching it.

for the game only? 80 bucks or so, more if you want a console .. or a pc or whatever.

and when i mean more i mean getting the game system, tv, yadda yadda, however, those wont be all spent just to play guitar hero ;) that would be a waste

In other news.... Gibson goes after air guitar contests....

airstring.jpg

Really now?

Okay. Learning guitar and having good gear is two different things. You could pick up a cheap $100 acoustic guitar and learn just fine, which is cheaper than guitar hero (game, console/PC, TV if console etc).

No, but you could learn to shoot a real gun.

No, but you could have open some textbooks and learned more about the real attack.

No, I don't know what an ACU is, but you could have taken lessons to learn to become a small aircraft pilot.

I can't take you seriously on this one. If there was a way to measure time played on Guitar Hero, which is only in like 3-5 minute segments, I'm guessing most people who rock on expert really wouldn't have more than 40 hours or so logged while actually playing (that of course, is a guess, so take it lightly). As for a real guitar, it takes MUCH more than 40 hours, even 100 hours, to master it. Besides, how does one even measure "mastering" a real guitar? Knowing every scale, note, and chord? Or playing unbelievably fast?

As for less money? I don't think so. Lets say you start out with crap guitar, $100. Guitar Hero is ~$80, if you want number 3.

Okay. Learning guitar and having good gear is two different things. You could pick up a cheap $100 acoustic guitar and learn just fine, which is cheaper than guitar hero (game, console/PC, TV if console etc).

Yeah, but how are you going to learn to play? You need a book, dvd, lessons, or the internet, all of which cost more money. You can't just hold down random strings and strum. It's not fair to mention that guitar hero relies on other things, because most people already have those things, especially if they want to play Guitar Hero. How often do you hear of people going out, buying a new tv and console, just for GH? It's a never ending cycle of something that relies on another.

The way I see it, without the nitpicking, a copy of guitar hero + controller ~ $80, a cheap electric or acoustic ~ $100.

Actually Walmart has a line that is super cheap. You can hit ebay and get a crappy backpack box for like $7. It strums and makes noise. That is about it though.

ebaybox.png

Back