• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

+1 For The Home Depot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Hardware stores such as The Home Depot carry a different kind of hardware than we use daily. However since most of us still step foot in their doors and this is a positive experience I figured I'd post it up anyway.

I'd just like to share a small case about why I will go back to Home Depot over it's competitors in my area.

Today I walk into Home Depot to exchange some Phillips Halogen light bulbs. These bulbs have a "last for 2 years" written on them. They say they last for 2 years based on 4 hours a day, 7days/week. Three of my bulbs all brunt out within a few days of each other. To be honest I'm not really sure if I've used it more than the 4 hours a day or not. They were in the bed room, and for a good 9 months of the last 23 I wasn't actively living here. So averaging out I'd image I'm close to the prescribed usage. I've exchanged these style Phillips bulbs in the past no problem. Today everything seemed to be going as normal, until when I came back to the return desk with the new bulbs two employees and the manager were standing there. I figured I was about to be in for a fight, as usually that's never a good sign.

However as I approached the manager was very kind. Asking how I was doing on this day, and being friendly. He pointed out that these light bulbs don't have a guarantee, nor warranty. Also I was pretty close to my 2 years. He said if it's just a couple months they exchange it no problem but seeing as how it's close to the two year mark and there is no actually guarantee he can't make an exchange for this. That in general it's best if I contact Phillips directly, and pointed out their information on the back.

At this point I wasn't going to argue with him because he was quite clearly right. If you read the exact wording (and it's not a lot of words) Phillips never guarantees these two years, only claims the bulbs can last that long. So I told the manager thank you for his time and I had just miss understood when I exchanged things before. He then says, "We'll seeing as you took the time to come down here, I'm going to go ahead and exchange these bulbs for you this time. Just remember in the future we only exchange them in the burn out soon after you purchase it.

So because this manager acted like a manger, which sadly isn't always the case, I will continue to give them my business. The manager was very friendly, told me the official policy The Home Depot has and told me how to contact Phillips myself. All of that was more than I expected, most of the time, you get treat like you're the enemy. In the end the manager gave me an exchange worth $9. $9 that most stores these days wouldn't have done, especially "corporate" stores. Thus I will drive the extra 2 miles past Lowe's and go to The Home Depot.

Good for you, its nice when you receive professionalism in a place that doesn't always offer it. :)
I've been a long time HD'er but recently I called them up with a stock question so I wouldn't have to drive over, and I was transferred 6 times, being on hold for 25 minutes before I heard someone pick up the phone and put it back down. :( I think it just depends on the people working at these places; you might get lucky or you might not.

Now I go to Lowes, who offers 10% off MIL discount anyway..

The home depot that was here was great for the first year of operation and then it went to crap. The store you went to had good management. You are lucky if any store does much of anything there days.

I can honestly say I've never had problems with ANY of the Home Depots that I visited in Chicago.

I've had to return things, exchange things, once I had a stripped screw on an oven part that they got off for me for free...

Archer I believe you when you say bad management can ruin a store... but, traditionally, it would be hard to find stores more poorly managed than the ones in Chicago. This has never been the case with any Home Depot that I have seen there. I cover a lot of ground in that town... rich neighborhoods, poor neighborhoods, insanely racist "the cops are probably going to follow me around as soon as I get out of the Home Depot" neighborhoods... but across the board, if I ever had a problem, Home Depot would resolve it with a smile.

That's all too real in ANY environment these days.

I'm living in Spain now and you can just throw any notion of customer service out the window. I think I'll visit Home Depot when I fly through Chicago at the end of the month... just for the hell of it. :D

i use to be a manager at home depot. There allowed to do alot of things within reason, we were pretty much allowed to make the store look good if the customer was understanding a respectful. Exactly like shellnut behaved. I would rather deal with a 100 understanding people in one day then 20 aholes that curse and yell.

Nightelph the stores use to have a call center to deal with customers and establish good communication and also to field to the right department. That got cut to save money and terminate jobs. When you call now you probably talk to ASM or department manager that got stuck with the phone. Its really a shame cause alot of older people with a ton of knowledge where all items in the store are now all gone.

Archer The stores are going to crap because of corporate policies getting tighter and tighter rolling down hill. They dont pay as good or treat employees as good as ten years ago. We lost a ton of people when lowes showed its face here in california.

Back