• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1055t Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spacegh()st

Registered
Heya folks,

First time poster here. I've been experimenting with OC'ing my PhII 1055t and seemed to have it stable at 3.65Ghz on stock voltage, but when running Deus Ex: HR I keep getting BSODs. This doesn't seem to happen with other games or when running Prime95 for 20 minutes or so.

I'm wondering if someone could take a look at my setup and let me know if you see anything that could be adjusted. For instance do you think I need to apply a little extra voltage to the CPU? From what I've read, it seems BSOD comes from memory issues, so perhaps that is the problem? CPU temps do not exceed 37C under full load with my Corsair H60 cooler.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

OGfSu.png

Did you get BSODs in that game prior to starting your OC?

No, these are the first instabilities I've experienced with this system. I did have some sporadic BSODs with the FSB set at 268, so I backed off and thought I was stable.

What are your complete system specs? Your RAM timings look strange to me.

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
Phenom II X6 1055t Thuban
2 x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
2 X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
EVGA Radeon HD 5770 OC
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Corsair H60 Cooler
Thermaltake Blackwidow 850W PSU
COOLER MASTER HAF 932

I think that covers it...

Edit: Now that you mention it those numbers are strange. I have my timings set to AUTO. Should I manually set them to the SPD recommendations? If so, which should I use?

Last edited:
What BIOS settings have you changed? I would suggest clearing CMOS and starting over, first reading through this guide.

EDIT:
The SPD tab doesn't tell you what your RAM timings/speed currently are set to. Just shows you the defaults, I believe. The current speed is shown under the "Memory" tab.

Your values there look strange, so I would suggest clearing CMOS and starting again this info from that guide or using others' successful settings.

What BIOS settings have you changed? I would suggest clearing CMOS and starting over, first reading through this guide.

EDIT:
The SPD tab doesn't tell you what your RAM timings/speed currently are set to. Just shows you the defaults, I believe. The current speed is shown under the "Memory" tab.

Your values there look strange, so I would suggest clearing CMOS and starting again this info from that guide or using others' successful settings.

I haven't made any changes to the memory at all. For some reason my MB wants to set those timings when the DRAM timings are set to AUTO. I changed the setting to manual and adjusted the timings to reflect the SPD defaults and it seems to be running fine. I played Deus Ex for 20 minutes and it seems to be working so far. See below images for the new setup.

Bz0lU.png

I'm going to see if I can get the CPU and memory clocks a little higher now. I'm hoping these new timings may have resolved my original issue. Stay tuned..

Your core voltage at 1.328 is too low. But, whoa! Look at the max core voltage under load reported by HWMonitor in the vcore line: 2.496. That can't be right! That would certainly fry the CPU. Could you run Prime95 blend for 20 minutes with CoreTemp open instead to have something to compare that HWMonitor reading to?

Your core voltage at 1.328 is too low. But, whoa! Look at the max core voltage under load reported by HWMonitor in the vcore line: 2.496. That can't be right! That would certainly fry the CPU. Could you run Prime95 blend for 20 minutes with CoreTemp open instead to have something to compare that HWMonitor reading to?

I don't see where coretemp records min/max VCore values? Does it and I have something setup wrong?

I didn't actually notice this before, but after some testing I've noticed my max VCore value generally jumps up to 2.4-2.8v within a minute of HWM being open under no load, even at default clock/voltage settings. Bug?

After my last post I had another BSOD with the new memory timings, so I decided to clock back to stock until I can sort out the problem. I'd be happy to run a test with CoreTemp if it will report the data you need. Just let me know. Any other help is appreciated :D

Thanks!

If you will compare the "Memory" tab in post #1 with the "SPD" tab in post #1 and look at the SPD tab JEDEC info you will see your memory timings are too aggressive for the frequency you are running the ram at. The "Memory" tab gives the current frequency and timing info, i.e. what the bios is assigning to your ram. The "SPD" tab shows what the ram manufacturer is recommending. If you will manually assign the values to your ram that you see in the XMP-1600 column of SPD then I'm guessing stability will improve. The timings your are currently employing are more appropriate for the ram when running at 1066 speeds whereas you are running it at a frequency greater than 1333 mhz. Except for the timing categories you see in CPU-z, you can leave the other timing lines on "Auto" in bios because you will see many more than you expect. Only the ones listed in CPU-z are of any consequence, however.

If you will compare the "Memory" tab in post #1 with the "SPD" tab in post #1 and look at the SPD tab JEDEC info you will see your memory timings are too aggressive for the frequency you are running the ram at. The "Memory" tab gives the current frequency and timing info, i.e. what the bios is assigning to your ram. The "SPD" tab shows what the ram manufacturer is recommending. If you will manually assign the values to your ram that you see in the XMP-1600 column of SPD then I'm guessing stability will improve. The timings your are currently employing are more appropriate for the ram when running at 1066 speeds whereas you are running it at a frequency greater than 1333 mhz. Except for the timing categories you see in CPU-z, you can leave the other timing lines on "Auto" in bios because you will see many more than you expect. Only the ones listed in CPU-z are of any consequence, however.

Yeah, thats what I realized after I understood the SPD tab's function. You'll noticed I changed them in post #9 to reflect the 1333Mhz defaults (my mobo wanted to run them at 8-8-8-20 or something on AUTO). This didn't fix the BSOD issue.

So should I adjust the tRC up to 41 (the 1600Mhz value)? Would that be enough to cause instability? Sorry, I'm a total noob on memory timings, which is one reason I have been hesitant to OC in the past. Could the different RAM manufacturers be an issue? They have very similar SPD tables and everything is running fine at 1600Mhz with the 9-9-9-24-34 timings.

Last edited:
Yeah, thats what I realized after I understood the SPD tab's function. You'll noticed I changed them in post #9 to reflect the 1333Mhz defaults (my mobo wanted to run them at 8-8-8-20 or something on AUTO). This didn't fix the BSOD issue.

So should I adjust the tRC up to 41 (the 1600Mhz value)? Would that be enough to cause instability? Sorry, I'm a total noob on memory timings, which is one reason I have been hesitant to OC in the past. Could the different RAM manufacturers be an issue? They have very similar SPD tables and everything is running fine at 1600Mhz with the 9-9-9-24-34 timings.

no one has mentioned your Northbridge yet. it should be around 2222mhz at that cpu speed and ~1.3 volts. lots of people forget to do this

Yeah, you're correct. Coretemp doesn't record max/min readings and will only give the vcore VID I believe. But CPU-z will report the current bios vcore value, even if not the max under load.

Omniscience probably makes a valid point. The Thuban CPUs generally love to have the HT Link stay in lockstep and to rise freely with the FSB up to about 2800 mhz if you supplement the CPUNB to support this, maybe about 1.25 on the CPUNB voltage. They seem to be more stable that way.

Ok! Great call on the NB clock and voltage! I should have seen this in one of the guides posted above. Sheesh. Anyway, I've taken your advice and adjusted the CPU-NB voltage to 1.25V and bumped it up to 2448Mhz. I also bumped the CPU frequency to 3.8Ghz and the CPU voltage to 1.425V (is this safe for 24/7 use?). I took the NB frequency/voltage from below chart I found in the guide (can't belive I missed that part of the guide).

tables1.png

Here are the results at the end of 30 minutes of Prime95. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Stable so far! Temperatures seem pretty good at 45-47C from the 10-30 minute marks. I'm going to test it with some games and such in a bit.

Also curious if that 61C NB temperature is safe?

u5wLJ.png

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE AND ASSISTANCE!!

Last edited:
Yes, 1.425 is safe for daily 24/7 use easy. Anymore, I don't hesitate to run 1.5 vcoe 24/7 but if you have a heavy dose of LLC dialed in you wouldn't want the vcore set that high in bios. HWMontor will give you the total vcore under load with LLC in the "max" column. By the way, I reread my last post and realized I left out some words. I meant to say that the Thubans like the HT Link and the CPUNB frequencies to keep in lockstep with regard to each other. If you have one at 2600 or whatever, the other should be as well, or at least keep them close together. My Asus M5897 will only go up to 2400 on the HT Link so when I have the CPUNB set to 2600 I can't quite keep them equal. I think it's good for stability to keep as little separation between them as possible, however.

Maybe take the 2 Gskills out and just run the Corsairs, do you really need 12 gig of ram?

Yes, 1.425 is safe for daily 24/7 use easy. Anymore, I don't hesitate to run 1.5 vcoe 24/7 but if you have a heavy dose of LLC dialed in you wouldn't want the vcore set that high in bios. HWMontor will give you the total vcore under load with LLC in the "max" column. By the way, I reread my last post and realized I left out some words. I meant to say that the Thubans like the HT Link and the CPUNB frequencies to keep in lockstep with regard to each other. If you have one at 2600 or whatever, the other should be as well, or at least keep them close together. My Asus M5897 will only go up to 2400 on the HT Link so when I have the CPUNB set to 2600 I can't quite keep them equal. I think it's good for stability to keep as little separation between them as possible, however.

Ok, great! Yeah, I was aware that the NB and HT Link frequencies were supposed to be the same up to a point, but I believe point that is at 3000+ or so. I think my mobo allows me to set those multipliers independently through the entire range of the NB freqs. Do you know if the 61C NB temp is good to go? It seems that the ratio of NB/CPU temp is pretty consistent throughout the range, so I'm assuming it is.

Maybe take the 2 Gskills out and just run the Corsairs, do you really need 12 gig of ram?

I probably don't need that extra 4GB, but I think the issue was with the NB frequency, so I'm going to leave it for now. I think the Corsair RAM is capable of going to 1866Mhz, so I may mess with it later at a higher multiplier without the G.Skill. If that will work with this chip lol..

Back