• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1100T OC Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How long did Prime run that last time and what were the max CPU and core temps you observed before the crash. If you have all the green stuff turned off as I instructed earlier, no, you should not see that kind of voltage fluctuation.

Hey, just noticed the comment about C1E, I'm sorry. I disabled that too, I'm running Prime again. The temp was 54C when it crashed after 6 mins. Now it's at 53 core and 55 CPU going on for 2 mins

That means you are probably very close, if only one core is dropping out that is. You have a choice. Either bump the voltage up a small increment or lower the CPU ratio by .5x.

That means you are probably very close, if only one core is dropping out that is. You have a choice. Either bump the voltage up a small increment or lower the CPU ratio by .5x.

What should I do? What is safer? By CPU ratio, you mean change the 14 number to 13.5? I'm guessing more voltage is more heat right? So decreasing the ratio would keep it safer?

ummm, at 13.5 I'm at 3.8GHz, but it seems stable so far. Temps are 57 core and 60 CPU, no dropped cores. Is 3.8 the safe ceiling of my CPU? :(

Yes, by CPU ratio I mean down to 13.5x.

"Safe" is defined mostly by temps. Frequency/speed is not a factor in safety. I'm trying to get you in a place where you have a balance between safe temps and a good overclock. You are limited somewhat by your H60 cooler. If you had the H100 you could go to a higher overclock. Your motherboard may also be a limiting factor. It's not a board that has a heavy duty power phase and when you start overclocking a six core CPU you're sucking a lot of juice.

Okay, now see if you can run that Prime95 blend test successfully for 2 hrs. If you can, you probably can consider it to be stable. If it won't pass, drop the ratio by another .5x. After that I would check stability with the other tests you had been running. The Prime95 blend test puts a lot of stress on the CPU cores and the RAM but does not stress the video card.

Push pull fan setups help a little but really don't make an H60 into something much better. Does your case have two 120 mm fan spots in the top panel? An H100 would require that. Another very good option is the Noctua NH D14 air cooler. I just got one last week. Huge! But it fits into any mid tower case that is at least 8" wide. Goes for about $85 USD new but I got mine used for $65 on Ebay. To put it in perspective, I am running a 960T which at stock is 4 cores. I unlocked the other two cores and overclocked it to 4.0 ghz on 1.5 vcore. My max CPU temps under Prime95 are 54c.

I would absolutely keep cores under 65c and CPU socket no more than 73c and I would still look for better cooling.

Push pull fan setups help a little but really don't make an H60 into something much better. Does your case have two 120 mm fan spots in the top panel? An H100 would require that. Another very good option is the Noctua NH D14 air cooler. I just got one last week. Huge! But it fits into any mid tower case that is at least 8" wide. Goes for about $85 USD new but I got mine used for $65 on Ebay. To put it in perspective, I am running a 960T which at stock is 4 cores. I unlocked the other two cores and overclocked it to 4.0 ghz on 1.5 vcore. My max CPU temps under Prime95 are 54c.

I would absolutely keep cores under 65c and CPU socket no more than 73c and I would still look for better cooling.

My case is the HAF-X, it has 2 200mm fans on top (I added them) and they're set up as exhaust fans. I think I can fit an H100 or H110 in there easy. Should I go with the 110? It's only slightly more expensive.

By the way, how's you wire and cable management? Wires and cables blocking air flow have a negative effect on temps.

Yeah, go with the 110 if you budget permits and it will work in your case. One of those will give you some cooling room for the future if you go with a Piledriver CPU.

That looks HUUUUUGE. I did a quick search on H110 vs H100 and your cooler came up. They say it's as good, if not better than the pre-built water cooling kits.. o_O.. Should I just get that? Both the H110 and D14 are in stock on Newegg.

By the way, how's you wire and cable management? Wires and cables blocking air flow have a negative effect on temps.

All the cables are behind the motherboard, my case has room specifically for cable management in the back, that's why I got it. I'll post a pic in a second.

I think the H100 would have a slight edge, honestly, over he D14 but not much. Man it's up to you. Any of those would be good choices. With water coolers there is the remote possibility of leaks or, more likely, pump failure. Not much can go wrong with air coolers. It's your money and there are pros and cons for each. I can tell you this, the D14 is one beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

I just wanted to say it's been a pleasure working with you. You've been very cooperative and open to suggestion and not afraid to try something different. Some guys who come here for help fight you tooth and nail or are scared to death to take the side panel off their computer, as if the cyber monster were going to jump out at them.

One more factor in the question of better water vs. Noctua air is that the Noctua is whisper quiet. If you look at the H110 it is rated at 35db for noise (when fans are at full speed) and that is more than noticeable.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, I don't know how I'm going to repay you. You're awesome in every sense of the word. I'm still debating over the D14 and H110, I'll do some more reading and I'll get one of the two. When it comes in (3-4days) what should I raise to get 4GHz? put the 13.5 back to 14 or something else? And here's my baby as promised. It's a bit dusty, but I'll clean it out properly when I get the new cooler.

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

1-1.jpg

Back