• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm Fan collection picture thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Nemoku where did you get this fan from?

Hey nothor,
happened to be from a friend in my country, here wear id AndrePraz, inVain also the same with me.

so that fan spins backwards?

True, unlike spins another fan.

Sure looks like it. I want one!

His voice is Silent fan, suitable for PC put the room is the family, but can be invited to exercise :thup:
happened to be from a friend in my country, here wear id AndrePraz, inVain also the same with me.
It may be obtained at the site indicated wagex.

I got some Papst fans from Performance PC's. I was unimpressed an gave them away. One of them spun clockwise rather than the normal CCW. That allowed me to do some contra-rotating fan experiments.

That's the only thing that got my attention about Papst back when I wanted to experiment with that too...Other than that they are quite expensive and their motor hubs are humongous :p

Edit: I got a free Sunbeam fdb 120mm fan...must be crap right? It moves 110cfm supposedly.

for me this elegant fan once, both in terms of looks and sound :cool:

Last edited:
I got some Papst fans from Performance PC's. I was unimpressed an gave them away. One of them spun clockwise rather than the normal CCW. That allowed me to do some contra-rotating fan experiments.

I really wished I was your neighbor :cry:
I'd be happy to got 4 more of those PAPST fans :chair:

come to my place, we discussed together while enjoying the ginger milk :escape:

dayum....
that's quite an irresistible offer :drool:

and gentlemen,
this guy had his case full of working 38mm fans, and I really like to take a peek inside his case :bday:

so, does anyone with the 38mm thick fan thread links? since I lost all of my bookmark during last re-installing my PC, and I don't quite remember the title to fill in the "search form" :cry:

Over here I posted a study of lots of fans. You can ignore the graphs. You will want to look at the fan pages that follow the results. I have a page on each make.

thanks for that, ehume.
added to my bookmark :thup:

been adopting the positive flow ever since I read your thread on that forum ;)
but still using exhaust fans ATM, so a "directed positive flow" to be more precise :chair:

I'm still curious, why they should even program the inverted "black line" PWM, it made me buyin' more and more pots for my controller :D

Missed this one, actually from electronic circuit point of view, inverted pwm type is better.

Why ? Imagine the controller circuit is designed such way when it failed, then the pwm line will be pulled down (aka shorted to ground) at the circuit, or when the power supply to the controller circuit is failing as well (aka no voltage at all at the pwm signal line), with such condiction, this inverted type will guarantee the fan will spin at full speed as a safety measure.

Also at certain type of electrical installation, the control circuit and the fan has their own power supply.

Missed this one, actually from electronic circuit point of view, inverted pwm type is better.

Why ? Imagine the controller circuit is designed such way when it failed, then the pwm line will be pulled down (aka shorted to ground) at the circuit, or when the power supply to the controller circuit is failing as well (aka no voltage at all at the pwm signal line), with such condiction, this inverted type will guarantee the fan will spin at full speed as a safety measure.

Also at certain type of electrical installation, the control circuit and the fan has their own power supply.

This explains why some PWM fans spin at 100% on 0% duty. Because of the limits of the Zalman PWM Mate, I am unable to reliably distinguish PWM duty cycles under 25%, I can say when these fans switch from 100% RPM to reduced RPM, but at some point they go from 100% RPM at 0% duty to low RPM at 25% duty, and increase RPM with duty % until reaching 100% at 100%. I'll call that the dip method of PWM control.

If the 38mm fans with inverted PWM fans used the dip method instead, would it make them more complicated/more expensive?

If the 38mm fans with inverted PWM fans used the dip method instead, would it make them more complicated/more expensive?

I would say the cost is negligible from electronic designer and manufacturer's perspective.

come to my place, we discussed together while enjoying the ginger milk :escape:

Nemoku, is this your PAPST?
View attachment 118772

couldn't find the same exact m/n, but that's quite close :D
the interesting thing is that model spin @5k RPM with only 15.5watt :shock:
if yours says 18watt, I really wonder how much spin per minute that little devil does?

and I think it's fair to say that we're lucky to had a PAPST which not controlled by various frequency range :clap:

View attachment 118773

or on the 2nd thought, maybe it's a loss.
because we can integrate it with a radio tunner maybe :rofl:

but why do they even made this controlling method anyway?
I do understand the inverted PWM was intended to be, after reading bing's post, but quite lost with the frequency method :shrug:
are they trying to control the speed fan via some remote control :sly:

thanks for that :thup:

gotta admit that it's my own fault since the beginning, trying to install a turbine inside a PC case :rofl:

This explains why some PWM fans spin at 100% on 0% duty. Because of the limits of the Zalman PWM Mate, I am unable to reliably distinguish PWM duty cycles under 25%, I can say when these fans switch from 100% RPM to reduced RPM, but at some point they go from 100% RPM at 0% duty to low RPM at 25% duty, and increase RPM with duty % until reaching 100% at 100%. I'll call that the dip method of PWM control.

you can simply short the PWM wire to ground to get a flat 0% duty cycle,
matter of fact, this is what I'm using to find the PWM wire on an "Unidentified Fan Object"
but that 0% = 100% fans do sometimes left me with my confusion though :p

considering the price, it's good...
to consider that's a San Ace, makes it better :D

I had a 3 wire 120L, and 2 wire 80mm "G" type.
they're both do well when undervolted, and no clicking sounds either :thup:

you can simply short the PWM wire to ground to get a flat 0% duty cycle,
matter of fact, this is what I'm using to find the PWM wire on an "Unidentified Fan Object"
but that 0% = 100% fans do sometimes left me with my confusion though :p

Yes. This is what I do to get 0%. I have a single pin wire dedicated for the purpose. What I can't do is reliably tell where -- at 5%, 10%, etc. duty cycle -- a fan drops from 100% rpm to low rpm on fans where their 0% PWM duty is 100% RPM.

What do you guys think of these?

I was considering grabbing some...they look pretty cheap. Unless I can find some 250cfm monster for 10 bucks xD

That is a 9G1212A401. Specs here. At the price, looks good.

Nemoku, is this your PAPST?

couldn't find the same exact m/n, but that's quite close :D
the interesting thing is that model spin @5k RPM with only 15.5watt :shock:
if yours says 18watt, I really wonder how much spin per minute that little devil does?

and I think it's fair to say that we're lucky to had a PAPST which not controlled by various frequency range :clap:

or on the 2nd thought, maybe it's a loss.
because we can integrate it with a radio tunner maybe :rofl:

but why do they even made this controlling method anyway?
I do understand the inverted PWM was intended to be, after reading bing's post, but quite lost with the frequency method :shrug:
are they trying to control the speed fan via some remote control :sly:

:D yes some type of fan that is in case including Papst test yet
But surely it is time later, it is again very busy, sorry.

Since I had already liked, it is hard to be sought :cry:

By request, here's my updated 120mm collection. 43 fans here, and the only one not pictured is in my PSU! :D

cdts.jpg

Is it wrong for me to Necro this thread with more beautiful 120MM fan pics? Gonna have to see how i can make my pics, cause alot of them are in use and There's no way i'm removing them from any chassis.

Anyhow The Pictures Start :D

First I'll be fair and give pics of fans that are Just old free sitting pics

a group of my AFB1212SH's sitting on a table
339136_511366532219162_815586517_o.jpg

next a group of 5 AFB1212SH-PWM's sitting on my Table
14852_514450871910728_534076873_n.jpg

My 2 EFB 1212 SHE's
900x900px-LL-c7a2c299_DSC00294.jpeg

My Apple AFB1212HHE
900x900px-LL-8639ee45__DSC00180004.jpeg

My WFB1212M
900x900px-LL-c37881b3_2012-08-2015.00.06.jpeg

my SanAce 9SG1212P1G01
900x900px-LL-262ffbb6__DSC0008.jpeg

Next up is my 3 Nidec TA500DC's, note they are actually 127x127x5x mm's and i drilled holes for 120mm mounts
DSC00051.JPG

Then my PFC1212DE
DSC00053.JPG

My Next fans are my 4 AFB1212L's used on my Workstation with the PFC1212DE
DSC00055.JPG

Have 2 Un identified 120MM Nidec's, TA450DC's on my old Dell XPS 620 case
DSC00057.JPG

An Unidentified NMB 120mm Fan on my Dell Dimension E510
DSC00058.JPG

Another Unidentified 120mm Nidec TA450DC on my two Dell Dimension E310's
DSC00059.JPG

And last a 2100RPm Unidentified SuperRED fan pulled from a Sony VIAO from the socket 478 Era with the PSU fan being the CPU fan as well
DSC00068.JPG

Unpictured are my 2 TFC1212DE's that i can take tomorrow when i unbox them(parts used previously on my D5400XS before i scrapped it, and now rebuilt it) and also my VA450DC is Unpictured, along with a 3 blade Nidec TA450DC, which i HAVE a picture of, but, well you find it :D
903593_544805162208632_563876147_o.jpg

Okay, during our projects we were HUGE with Delta's. Our machines as time went on used So many Delta's we might as well have a Delta Warehouse. We had 30,40,50,60,70,80,90,120mm delta's everywhere and i still have alot of them The collection could grow. Alot of them we bulk ordered and got as low as 3$ per fan(all of the 120mm afb's cost us 3$ per fan). I still have so many of them. Only a Few nidec's and a few sanaces

Back