• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm Fan collection picture thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
amazed by this vid,
since the owner doesn't mind if I share his vid...
think I'll share it here to see if someone else will come up with another one :D

sadly the Delta didn't made the 12v version for this THA :rain:

@inVain

What kind of control does the 9G1212HG105 use? I am not familiar with the -5 designator, nor the -HG-, though I suspect the H part may be the speed designator (H = 2500-2700 rpm).

the 9G1212HG105, using PWM to control it's speed.

I'm quite lost too with the datasheet :(
the only thing that I found on the net was this:
http://www.gongchang.com/9G1212HG105_Sanyo_120x38mm_4wire_PWM-dp11767879/
(at least the current draw looks identical with mine)

haven't enough time to toy with them to tell whether they utilize the inverted/non inverted PWM to control its speed, nor the speed range.
all I know ATM, is this fan can run really slow and quieter than my hdd :D

will post on your sanyo club after I did more proper research on this fan ;)

the 9G1212HG105, using PWM to control it's speed.

I'm quite lost too with the datasheet :(
the only thing that I found on the net was this:
http://www.gongchang.com/9G1212HG105_Sanyo_120x38mm_4wire_PWM-dp11767879/
(at least the current draw looks identical with mine)

haven't enough time to toy with them to tell whether they utilize the inverted/non inverted PWM to control its speed, nor the speed range.
all I know ATM, is this fan can run really slow and quieter than my hdd :D

will post on your sanyo club after I did more proper research on this fan ;)

At 3600 rpm the fan falls in their G speed range. So we need to learn what the H means. Clearly it was made for a customer.

Edit: San Ace makes "dual speed" fans, which they label with two letters. If your fan runs from the mid-2000's (e.g.--2500) to 3600 rpm, then it is an H-G fan, with a speed range of H to G. If the PWM allows it to drop further, then I have no clue what the H means. Nice little puzzle.

Last edited:
I'm agree with the customer build.
Since it has strange control behavior, at 0 duty cylcle it goes full speed and so does at 100%, but the fan still able to stop at low duty cycle.
Not to mention their weird lookin' connector and wiring arrangement.

Luckily their wire code hasn't change :D

We cross-posted. I edited my post while you were posting yours.

I have run into the situation before where a fan will give full speed on 0% PWM duty. There must be a reason to program it that way. Hmm. Stops on low PWM duty. Interesting.

We cross-posted. I edited my post while you were posting yours.

I have run into the situation before where a fan will give full speed on 0% PWM duty. There must be a reason to program it that way. Hmm. Stops on low PWM duty. Interesting.

thanks for that, and I've re-read your post :thup:

indeed, this fan's fantastic.
I'll try to get some vid after got some proper gears ;)

That weird PWM behaviour is expected and designed like that.

Here, a nice illustration below from Nidec, just ignore the rpm numbers, it shows that certain PWM fan type has the transfer function that when the duty cycle at both extreme corners at 0% and 100% will always hit the max speed, illustrated by the blue line.

The reason for this unique transfer function is for fail proof design. Cause if the "fan control circuit" failed or totally fubar-ed :D, usually the PWM line/signal condition might get shorted at either at positive line (aka 100%), or stuck shorted at ground line (aka 0%), so with this weird feature, at this condition the fan is guaranteed will run a full speed to deliver maximum cooling effect. eg :Something nasty happened caused by over heating.

Usually this kind of fan is needed in high reliability industrial grade cooling system.

While most and "common" PWM fan behave like the dotted green line, and some are customized which we called inverted PWM pointed by the black line.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm still curious, why they should even program the inverted "black line" PWM, it made me buyin' more and more pots for my controller :D

That's something I've wondered too.
Maybe they figure it'll be operating at >50% most of the time, and by having >50% be LOW more than HIGH they save some power? 6ma or so, but that's something.
That's the best I can do guessing anyway, not real great :p

I got some Papst fans from Performance PC's. I was unimpressed an gave them away. One of them spun clockwise rather than the normal CCW. That allowed me to do some contra-rotating fan experiments.

That's the only thing that got my attention about Papst back when I wanted to experiment with that too...Other than that they are quite expensive and their motor hubs are humongous :p

Edit: I got a free Sunbeam fdb 120mm fan...must be crap right? It moves 110cfm supposedly.

Back