• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm Fan collection picture thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Funny how much lower the CFM rating is when it's honest. Most ~2k fans are "rated" at >100 :p

i believe most fans are honest. however how CFM is tested can be controversal. There's the wind tunnel method, and then there's the cross sectional method. Of which, the cross sectional method usually measure a higher CFM, (as it is a function of air and velocity) where the tunnel method measures actual air moved. Now some will say 'hey, should all use the actual air move' as standard? we will 'think' so, however some fans, like those with 3-fins, will do quite poorly in the wind tunnel, as the air they move is too segmented.

for fans like AP-15, where the airflow is not segmented, the wind tunnel is perfect, however for some delta fans, the wind tunnel tend to 'completely under count' the CFM.. so they will use the cross section method instead.

At the end of the day. I think for us, we should use 'PERFORMANCE' to measure it. If it is a radiator fan, measure the temp, etc. Just to be sure the fan does its FUNCTION, which is cooling. :)

Now that I go and look again, it looks like things have improved as far as fan honesty goes. There are still a few like these: 1500rpm 85cfm and these 1300rpm 74cfm that seem unlikely.
Gone though are the raft of 100cfm 1500rpm jobs I remember.

Now that I go and look again, it looks like things have improved as far as fan honesty goes. There are still a few like these: 1500rpm 85cfm and these 1300rpm 74cfm that seem unlikely.
Gone though are the raft of 100cfm 1500rpm jobs I remember.

I love the details of your first link on NewEgg's page... in the details it says "Excellent for case molding" ... I prefer my case to be moldless, but to each their own...

Whats the best Delta fan? speed dont really matter because ill have a RPM controller

SilenX used to make really outrageous specs claims...

As for the Delta fans, obviously the ones with more cfm/better static pressure.
And you'll need a powerful fan controller to hgandle those.

Some people here are more experienced when it comes to beast fans, so they'll be able to provide the nitty-gritty...

EDIT: I used to like the Delta PFB series...which had massive static pressure and cfm ratings, but they can be noisy hehe. Not for the faint of heart.
Sunon had some beast fans too (they were the oem of the Vantec Tornado's)

Great! I thought it was bad enough when I saw someone with a bigger camera lens than mine and had lens envy but now, with only 8 fans knocking about, I have fan envy. Yeesh! :bang head

G1238B12BBZP

Was bored, did a short photo shoot session with this brute, here we are.

G1238B12BBZP

Speed 6300 RPM, Airflow 261 CFM,
Static pressure 520 Pa/2.09 InH2O, Noise 67 dB,
Current 4.46 A (start @6.1A)
picture.php

picture.php

View attachment 114499

View attachment 114500

View attachment 114501

View attachment 114502

Thermalright TY-143

Thermalright TY-143

picture.php

picture.php

Currently Thermalright's web still doesn't have this listed officially, here the shot of the technical specification as printed at the box :

View attachment 116185

Wow is that hideous, I'm not sure whether it's better or worse than Noctuas!
I think I like it better, it has a certain flair to it :D
Looks like it'll move a lot of air and actually has honest ratings.

How's it perform?

Briefly tested and I'd say currently one the best 140 mm fan and its PWM too.

This is the beefier version of the very well known and popular TY-140, and if you really like TY-140, you will definitely love this one. At high speed, still has the low frequency hum noise that is less annoying than other ordinary 140 mm fan at > 1000 rpm level that have high pitch sound.

From performance/noise/value compared to Noctua, I would say this beast beats Noctua's out of the water, especially the price.

Currently this is the standard fan for Thermalright's top dog heatsink Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme.

View attachment 116186

Btw, I still hate it's color. :rolleyes: LOL ...

PS :
Yeah, I'm aware this is a 120 mm fan thread, even though the impeller is 140 mm, but it has 120 mm mounting hole, so it still counts. :chair:

Gotta love them ty140's 120mm mounting holes.
I have mine maxed out and I only hear a thing when I put my Antec tricool full tilt. (5.25" bay intake fan which pulls air through an AC filter and the cm690's mesh)

Hey ehume, I know you praise TY-140 alot, you should get one and of course after you managed to pass smuggle it through under wife's radar. :chair: :D

Last edited:
my first 38mm fans mmmmm :) i could use some of those 6.3krpm fans up there ^^^^^ :p long as they come with some fan guards already cut mah finger on these baby 3k fans :rofl:

38mmmmmm.jpg

Last edited:
Back