• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v molex

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

High power Delta fan pwm rated for 4.8A each. Can a single 12v from the psu run 2 or 3 of these bad boys with a split molex connector? Currently, I run a single 12v for each fan and has used up all my 12v connection of the psu. I would like to avoid dual psu if I can. I am asking this because I am going to run 2 additional EX radiator, EX480 and EX360 and total of 10 delta fan pwm. Your input is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a single 12V rail capable of up to 83.4A. So it actually doesn't matter which 12V connection you use. They're all connected together inside the PSU, so you can use a molex splitter. Just make sure you don't exceed the 83.4A with all of your devices combined. CPU and GPU, in addition to the fans will probably be the biggest power draws.

Kayson,

Thanks for your input. But how is this if make any sense at all. Delta fan draw 38w each, 12v x 4.8Amps equal 38w each x 10 that equal to 580w. My 3930K running @5Ghz load draw another roughly 400w. This would push the 950W psu to the limits. I think my best bet is to run a small 350W psu and later I can upgrade the psu to 1200 or 1375w psu.

PS. Add on,

Kayson, after I carefully re-read your post. So you are saying a single 12v rail is capable of up to 83.4A just for the 12v line alone. So it has no relation to the total 950w psu rating?

Last edited:
You'll probably find that beyond the first or second Delta, the rest have little or no effect. Make some ducting so that one fan on each radiator sucks air over the entire area, similar to how HVAC equipment is designed.

A 3930k is not going to use 400W by itself. Maybe 200-250W if it's being pushed very hard.

Kayson,

Thanks for your input. But how is this if make any sense at all. Delta fan draw 38w each, 12v x 4.8Amps equal 38w each x 10 that equal to 580w. My 3930K running @5Ghz load draw another roughly 400w. This would push the 950W psu to the limits. I think my best bet is to run a small 350W psu and later I can upgrade the psu to 1200 or 1375w psu.

PS. Add on,

Kayson, after I carefully re-read your post. So you are saying a single 12v rail is capable of up to 83.4A just for the 12v line alone. So it has no relation to the total 950w psu rating?

Your 3930K probably doesn't use 400W and your 10 fans will use 380W total, so you should be totally fine with everything on your current PSU.

The 950W is total power on all of the supply voltages. So it's whatever is on your 12V plus everything else.

I was concerned about the amperage on one connector, but it seems the 4-pin disk drive connector is specified to take 11 amps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex...ector_.28Molex_8981_Series_Power_Connector.29

SATA power connectors can only carry 4.5A (1.5A per pin * 3 pins)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Power_connectors

Use a Kill-a-Watt to be sure.
Those are AC watt meters. The OP would need a DC watt meter in this case, but measuring the total power coming out many leads can be tricky.

Use it to measure the input power. If it's less than the PSU rating, it should be fine. If you actually wanted to measure output power, a DC clamp meter would do it.

Back