• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

14-14-14-34 RAM showing up as 15-15-15-36 default

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are talking to me, I am installing my OS now and will be overclocking when I am done, which might be a while since my initial images take a bit.

I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the hardware.
I will post the limits of my system and RAM when I overclock.
Thank you very much for participating in this thread, I am sure I will have more questions when I overclock.

Windows 10 and 8 installed lightning fast. Right now I am trying to figure out what to adjust in BIOS to allow Windows XP to install on Skylake.

If you are talking to me, I am installing my OS now and will be overclocking when I am done, which might be a while since my initial images take a bit.

I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the hardware.
I will post the limits of my system and RAM when I overclock.
Thank you very much for participating in this thread, I am sure I will have more questions when I overclock.

Windows 10 and 8 installed lightning fast. Right now I am trying to figure out what to adjust in BIOS to allow Windows XP to install on Skylake.

I have a setting for allowing to install win7, Maybe select it and itll somehow work for win xp?
Also, wondering, why do you use win xp?

It's a very good question.
I have a multi boot.
I reboot into Windows XP to reimage things like Windows 10 and my Windows 8.

I reboot into Windows XP every time I need to group files or folders on the screen.
• Windows XP allows you to group files or folders on different parts of the screen whereas in Windows 7/8/10, you can *only* do this on its Desktop and nowhere else. Windows 7/8/10 have no option to turn Auto-Arrange off. Registry edits which force Auto-arrange to be turned off cannot be used because they break other Windows 7/8/10 features.

This can be done with pictures, this can be done when making a "mix tape" - I group my music files then pick one from the group and move it to another part of the screen, and so on. That's how I make my "mix tapes".

I also sort through files, prioritizing them for work by sorting them on different parts of the screen.

Whoever came up with the idea to PREVENT us from grouping files on Windows 7/8/10 - I say no trial straight to execution :D

Windows XP does not use BCD so it is an excellent OS to reimage other OS from.

Sometimes I run into a problem using software. Sometimes Photoshop, sometimes music editing, sometimes video editing. I reboot into Windows XP and earlier version of that same software works, allows me to do what I want to do.

• Windows 7/8/10 Search Engine is more difficult to use and is not as reliable as Windows XP Search Engine. I have screenshots to prove how useless Windows 7/8/10 search engine is. I only use it when it finds files. If it does not, I ether use a third party program or reboot into Windows XP to make sure there are no hits.

• Windows 8/10 Explorer status bar does not show file details which were available in previous versions of Windows. The only features left in Status Bar in Windows are the total number of items, items selected and size of selected items (but only up to 99 files). In addition, Status Bar control in Windows 8/10 is not standard but uses private undocumented control (DirectUI). This means not even external software can provide useful file information.

This and copy-paste window, which is SO MUCH WORSE in modern Windows, because it does not give you the overview of files being replaced without AN EXTRA CLICK, which therefore takes half a second off my efficiency so it is more efficient to use Windows XP if you are into super-fast computing where half a second makes a difference for the speed with which you work.

Really???
I piled a bunch'o my desktop icons up and rebooted...they stayed piled.
Then, I piled the others into another heap and rebooted...they too remained piled.

desktop1.png

desktop2.png

:shrug:

In order to install 7 or earlier on Z170, you will need the XHCI drivers for USB. Please see your motherboard MFG website for details on how to do this.

Actually Vista was the last version of Windows which allowed you the option, just an option, of grouping files and folders.
I do not use Windows XP most of the time, of course.
But it has its very useful purpose, quickly reimaging Windows 10 and Windows 8 being the most used reason for Windows XP for me.

I am at a loss to see that links I thought showed Windows XP install how to, actually only show how to install USB 3.1 on Windows XP on Skylake...

I think this can be done, eventually I will figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

EarthDog, yes that was standard procedure even on my 2008 first i7 install on non-UEFI BIOS.
I have disabled Secure Boot on Skylake, I am trying both USB and DVD install...

I cannot believe I can't find a forum post or web link or anything on more detail,
I will make one when I'm done, but I did a lot already, just need to see what others did after they injected AHCI and disable secure boot...

Did you enable IDE in the bios. I know that some boards require this for the older oses. I know the Z97 platform did for both my giga boards.

okay okay, I thought that was a typo.

What is XHCI, linkage please?

To the other poster, there is no IDE on 2016 Skylake motherboard I have.

EDITED LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Host_Controller_Interface

Or, check your mobo webpage as most have something you can download so you can install legacy OSs (without the XHCI driver). that is, if the BIOS doesn't already have something you can enable. I don't recall what it is and varies by MFG if it is there, you will have to find that out on your own.

FOund it on the website for your board as mentioned: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/

EZ Installer
Windows® 7 and USB 3.0 driver installation for 100 Series and
Braswell platform

or.... (not sure why there is two, honestly, LOL)

Use this tool to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded for 100 series motherboards.(V1.02.07)

Last edited:
I am figuring this out.
It is a lot more involved than that.
I will of course post it all in great detail when I figure it out.

Shouldn't be. It's literally an option in the bios or slipstream the xhci driver. There are existing walkthroughs on the web for all of this. ;)

Good luck.

Check for a secure boot compatability option or somthing similar in the BIOS. May have to enable it to get XP running. Just a thought, ive never tried this :)

omg... omg I did it.

I tried so many things, and I know what works, I now have to nuke everything after imaging it and start from scratch, this time doing a write up on what I did,
it is so very very complicated. More than anything I ever did before I think...

Internet help sucked and was missing crucial bits of information.

I will be posting a link to my write up when I am done.

omg... omg I did it.

I tried so many things, and I know what works, I now have to nuke everything after imaging it and start from scratch, this time doing a write up on what I did,
it is so very very complicated. More than anything I ever did before I think...

Internet help sucked and was missing crucial bits of information.

I will be posting a link to my write up when I am done.

Good luck! And im happy you figured it out :).

Awesome! Thanks for writing all that down c6!

Ill bet some of the benchers here will be happy to get xp working on z170

Back