• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16 GB of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think i never seen my ram usage over ~5.5 or 6gb, usuaslly at ~2gb in windows and ~4.5gb in games.

As nephilim said, over 8gb is kinda useless if your not doing huge video editing or 3D rendering and things like that. In short word, if you dont do "professional stuff" you dont need more than 8gb.

I seen some ppl doing "ram disk" with 32gb+ installed but if you also have an SSD, i dont really see the point for a ramdisk. It sure is blazing fast to do a ramdisk but the usage is somewhat limited.

Loll, i even doubt that your internet speed is fast enough to "overrun" a simple HDD so it wont matter if you have more ram.

Exemple : Listening an HD movie on netflix pump ~1.2gb per hour and this is all going to your "temporary folder" wich is most likely on your HDD ( or SSD ).

+1 to the 16GB. I've only got 8GB and my RAM usage is currently sitting at 99%.

Jesus, you need to do some process killing bro. I have to try REALLY hard to saturate my 16GB, and I do frame-by-frame graphics rendering / editing / sequencing, etc.

If I run all of my software, a programming software suite, and a 4GB RAMDisk, only THEN can I use 16 gigs. If I only do one of the above tasks, or any two of them, I have a very hard time using even 8GB of ram. What in the world are you doing that saturates your memory?

16gb of ram can be useful for a whole host of things. I have a ramdisk program called ImDisk that allows me to mount ISO files to my ram which means no more deamon tool. Mounting PS2 ISO's for my emulator one instance were I found this most useful. I can also make ramdisks to install smaller programs to or use as a small scratch disk, then save the ramdisk to images and reload them when needed.

It's proved to be a really useful feature, I would recommend it to anyone. Especially with how cheap ram is these days. I would only stick to 8gb if you are really on a budget, but if your already spending close to or over a grand on a PC I see no reason not to go with 16gb of ram.

16gb of ram can be useful for a whole host of things. I have a ramdisk program called ImDisk that allows me to mount ISO files to my ram which means no more deamon tool. Mounting PS2 ISO's for my emulator one instance were I found this most useful. I can also make ramdisks to install smaller programs to or use as a small scratch disk, then save the ramdisk to images and reload them when needed.

It's proved to be a really useful feature, I would recommend it to anyone. Especially with how cheap ram is these days. I would only stick to 8gb if you are really on a budget, but if your already spending close to or over a grand on a PC I see no reason not to go with 16gb of ram.

I'd personally wholeheartedly agree, but quite a number of people don't have a practical use for a 4-8GB ramdisk. While RAM is cheap and nifty, dropping a few extra bucks on somethign you're not going to use is always a terrible idea :p Its hard for a gamer or office-only user to saturate more than 4 GB, even. Much less 8 or 16 :shrug:

I'd personally wholeheartedly agree, but quite a number of people don't have a practical use for a 4-8GB ramdisk. While RAM is cheap and nifty, dropping a few extra bucks on somethign you're not going to use is always a terrible idea :p Its hard for a gamer or office-only user to saturate more than 4 GB, even. Much less 8 or 16 :shrug:

Well I think anyone who can build their own computer though can probably figure out how to make use of 16gb of ram.

But then again I do know a guy who has 16gb of ram and even after installing ImDisk on his computer I doubt he ever uses it. Even though I've tried to explain it to him numerous times...

Still if a person understands it uses before buying it, then they should be able to make use of it.

A ramdisk with less than 32gb is useless IMO. Even for mounting ISO as you told, its completely useless since you can mount ISO on anything from HDD to SSD ( SSD being faster .... ). I dont see any need of using a ramdisk to mount an ISO.

The few guy i know that use ramdisk have at least 32gb of ram and they install the games they mostly play on the ramdisk, loading time are insanely quick if the games can take advantage of it.

A ramdisk with less than 32gb is useless IMO. Even for mounting ISO as you told, its completely useless since you can mount ISO on anything from HDD to SSD ( SSD being faster .... ). I dont see any need of using a ramdisk to mount an ISO.

The few guy i know that use ramdisk have at least 32gb of ram and they install the games they mostly play on the ramdisk, loading time are insanely quick if the games can take advantage of it.

Mounting ISO's to a ramdisk is much faster than an SSD. And if you used ImDisk you would see that it is much better than things like Deamon tools. It integrates fully into windows so that all you need to do is right click on the ISO and click "mount." It's that simple and it's extremely useful.

Mounting ISO's to a ramdisk is much faster than an SSD. And if you used ImDisk you would see that it is much better than things like Deamon tools. It integrates fully into windows so that all you need to do is right click on the ISO and click "mount." It's that simple and it's extremely useful.

Installing an ISO from SSD to SSD is already damn quick ... i know a RAMdisk is much faster on paper but for what ? installer Microsoft Office faster ? one in a while.........

As a gamer, the only real usage i see in ramdisk is installing my games onto it with at least 32gb of Ram to be able to install 2 or 3 games. But in the end, im already all on SSD and my loading cant really be faster since its most likely the games that slow the loading down and the de disk itself. You clearly see games that takes no advantage in loading time from being installed on ramdisk or SSD so it sometime become useless.

Anything past 8gigs of decent speed ram is overkill atm. But its cheap so its kind of a might as well thing. You might be hitting over 8 with multiple monitors and what not.

I'm sorry but you are very wrong. I have had 40+ tabs open in chrome, iTunes, LightRoom, and a massive TIFF file in CS6 that I'm working on and have utilized upwards of [size=+3]26GB[/size] of RAM. No Ramdisk and a 512mb pagefile.

Installing an ISO from SSD to SSD is already damn quick ... i know a RAMdisk is much faster on paper but for what ? installer Microsoft Office faster ? one in a while.........

As a gamer, the only real usage i see in ramdisk is installing my games onto it with at least 32gb of Ram to be able to install 2 or 3 games. But in the end, im already all on SSD and my loading cant really be faster since its most likely the games that slow the loading down and the de disk itself. You clearly see games that takes no advantage in loading time from being installed on ramdisk or SSD so it sometime become useless.

Mounting a ISO to a drive requires programs like Deamon Tools. ImDisk is literally 300kb, it barely takes up any resources and integrates into windows perfectly.

And 16gb of ram is only another 40$, its not that much more considering most people will be playing upwards of a grand for a computer.

And I mean, back when I had only 4gb DDR2 ram in my spare old computer I decided to upgrade to 8gb. In a few years 8gb will not be enough and 16gb will become the standard. It may be overkill but thats not a reason not to get it. There are clearly uses for 16gb of ram.

Back