• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16 GB of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm sorry but you are very wrong. I have had 40+ tabs open in chrome, iTunes, LightRoom, and a massive TIFF file in CS6 that I'm working on and have utilized upwards of [size=+3]26GB[/size] of RAM. No Ramdisk and a 512mb pagefile.

I think he means that it's enough for normal non-professional usage. A massive TIFF File and LightRoom is not normal non-professional usage.

What are you using your computer for to kill 8GB?

Jesus, you need to do some process killing bro. I have to try REALLY hard to saturate my 16GB, and I do frame-by-frame graphics rendering / editing / sequencing, etc.

If I run all of my software, a programming software suite, and a 4GB RAMDisk, only THEN can I use 16 gigs. If I only do one of the above tasks, or any two of them, I have a very hard time using even 8GB of ram. What in the world are you doing that saturates your memory?

Good old chkdsk is using up almost all of my rams. When I'm running a couple of VMs, the memory usage easily goes over 90%.

Good old chkdsk is using up almost all of my rams. When I'm running a couple of VMs, the memory usage easily goes over 90%.

chkdsk? But you don't run that every single second of your computer's lifetime...

But, yeah, a couple of VMs may chew 8GB of RAM. That's why I'm running 16GB too.

It came with the laptop I ordered. It only costed an extra penny literally! The original amount was 12 GB but GenTechPC was having a special promotion for it so I figured why not. I can't think of a better way to spend a penny. lol

Smelly im currently in the process of building a new system and for the money i got 16Gb 2x8Gb because if in the future i happen to need 32Gb ill have the 2 open slots to add another 16Gb of ram. Which i do AutoCAD. But in normal everyday operations 8 Gb is more than enough. As far as ISO in RAMdisk vs SSD. Come on guys is there really that big of a difference. I loaded Boarderlands 2 on my vertex 4 and then on a ramdisk and saw like a 30 sec difference in load times.

Back