• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1800x & MSI Pro Carbon OC - Safe Vcores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AvengerUK

After a huge amount of fiddling - I think I now have two stable OC's to choose from.

I believe I've got a stable 4Ghz and 4.025Ghz -

Manaul "static" voltages used (no offset option currently)

Temperatures range from 75 to 84 - but I believe this is not taking into account the offset.

4000Mhz OC:
vcore: 1.392 under load
NB voltage: ~1.1 or just under
Ram: 3200 1.35v 16-18-18-36

4025Mhz OC:

vcore: 1.416 under load
NB voltage: ~1.1 or just under
Ram: 3200 1.35v 16-18-18-36

Realbench stable on both - higher requires 1.43+ vcore (not tested enough)

CPU-Z:
Speeds are lower than set due to bus speed which I can't do anything about currently :/

Is it worth running the slightly slower OC, or just use the best? - I wouldn't normally think about it but I would usually use offset vcore! - Dont think I'm going to bother trying for higher, as vcore goes up quite alot!

Cheers

I am not familiar with Ryzen chips or anything but I am pretty sure 25Mhz is not worth the extra vcore and heat which would come along with it.

I am not familiar with Ryzen chips or anything but I am pretty sure 25Mhz is not worth the extra vcore and heat which would come along with it.

True, I was suprised how much vcore had to increase - the only reason I pursued that OC as much as I did is the "3991.91Mhz" annoyed me!

Fair enough. But yeah, its the silicone lottery and you get what you get for the most part. Some chips will go higher with less vcore and vice versa. Your system does play a role in it too but the silicone lottery is what plays the biggest role i think. If anything, give it more time with the bios updates and see if you can revisit it later and make it better.

Fair enough. But yeah, its the silicone lottery and you get what you get for the most part. Some chips will go higher with less vcore and vice versa. Your system does play a role in it too but the silicone lottery is what plays the biggest role i think. If anything, give it more time with the bios updates and see if you can revisit it later and make it better.

Historically I have the worst luck with the silicon lottery ;) my 4970k was a pig!

I have heard bios updates improving OC capability on the Asus / ASRock boards, sadly, MSI seems extremely slow with the BIOS's atm - and they just removed all the beta bios's from public consumption (to stop us bricking things though!)

yeah i know Jayztwocents 1800x was capped out at 3.9ghz but after a bunch of updates he got it to 4.1ghz. eh time. worst part about this stuff.

My two cents would be to not exceed 1.4 vcore for 24/7 but like Dpg3456 I have zero experience with Ryzen. I'm just going by the fact that it's in the same generation as Intel CPUs I am familiar with built on the same 14 nanometer fab size. But that may not mean anything necessarily.

Multiple review stated that AMD told them 1.35V for normal use, 1.45V for 'reduced lifespan' whatever that means [emoji14]

Yeh, I think keeping below 1.45 is definatley a good idea. I wouldn't want to go much higher than my 1.41 tbh.

Interestingly, I've been doing some browsing over at the MSI forums, with the same CPU's - the B350 Tomahawk OC's better (apparently) currently than the Pro Carbon, despite inferior VRM - but it does have a much more updated bios.

Moderator in the forums states GPC beta bios to be expected next week in reply to this...we'll see

Hope it does. I haven't seen much change on the Asus Prime X370-pro for the last 2 bios changes. Been rock solid at 3.7ghz. I'll push her harder when I get her wet! (Need a new block. Should be cheaper than buying better air cooling too for a swiftech block... I have the rest of the parts I need for a custom loop from my FX build)

Back