• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.26GHz is Excellent!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can someone explain this ... I thought the higher out of box CPU [ 2.26a ] the harder the OC bececause of it default clock rate ... that is why the 1.6a OC so well .......

so how does the 2.26a do it so well

it also has a low multiplier...

P4 1.6 = 16 * 100 = 1600
P4 2.26 = 17*133= 2261

it's the low multiplier that helps...

Brian

I've heard mixed feelings about AMD & P4'S.

Well, i was thinking about building a P4, it just seems more economical and faster to use a AMD.

P4 Uses 6 readings
AMD uses 9..

The only reason the AMD is slower then P4, Because those 2000XPs are 1.67, And there trying to bench 2ghz P4'S.

And another thing, how can you notice a huge speed difference, in windows you cant even notice a 1.67ghz and a 2.24 ghz difference..

Maybe in gaming, but bl3h nothing requires that kinda speed..

Except of course..

Seti@Home

How about you go use the processor for use?

Rasputin'sLiver said:

The AMD core:

A=aging
M=maturing
D=dying

:burn: :burn: :burn:

I believe AMD is going to have to revise their technology soon. Once Intel gets into the 3GHz range(we are only about 500Mhz away now) they will start to slip. Right now a 2200+ is about on par with the 2.26 and from the reviews I have seen the 2.26 beats it out. I think one of the reasons they did so well against the older Nortwoods was thier 100mhz fsb. Now that the B chips have come out we are seeing a much better comparasion in benching. And also your looking at 240 for a 2200+(which has been proven to be a poor overclocker) or 255 for a 2.26(which has been proven to exceed 3Ghz).

I'm getting my 2.26b on monday, along with en ABit IT7 MAX and a stick of 512mb Corsair XMS PC 3200. I'll let you know what happens :)

I guess when Intel starts folding and crunching like the AMD's, we'll have no more use for them, right? Oh, I forgot about all the top scoring members of the 3DMark2001 team...seems like they all run AMD's, except for an occasional P4 clocked at 3GHz just to keep up with them...

Intel may scale more, but they have to to get the same amount of work done...both chips have a place here with us.

orc5 said:
I'm getting my 2.26b on monday, along with en ABit IT7 MAX and a stick of 512mb Corsair XMS PC 3200. I'll let you know what happens :)

Let us know how it works out!:D Not to put a fly in the ointment though. I have a stick of 256 mb corsair xms 3000 that runs circles around my stick of 512 mb corsair xms 3200. The xms 3000 stick gets rambus-like memory bandwidth numbers that shocked me as it ran well past 420mhz. The 3200 stick craps out at 410.

Might just be luck of the draw.:confused:

takiwa said:
I guess when Intel starts folding and crunching like the AMD's, we'll have no more use for them, right? Oh, I forgot about all the top scoring members of the 3DMark2001 team...seems like they all run AMD's, except for an occasional P4 clocked at 3GHz just to keep up with them...

Intel may scale more, but they have to to get the same amount of work done...both chips have a place here with us.

I gotta admit that I expected to blow anything amd away on super-pi which requires mega-heavy crunching and the best I could muster was about a tie despite a huge mhz advantage.

I do believe though (despite some occasional stuttering) my Intel northwood rig is a better gamer than my duallie xp 1800 rig.:argue:

uhoh old man also has a dually xp!!! yea and the main reason for that is that p4 has the sse and sse2 ... and of course mmx... but crappy amd just got the sse instructions in their chips (Starting with the xp1800+) and so these software developer like people (for the sake of argument i'll call them software developers:D ) have yet to make patches and the such that take advantage of the amd chips that utilize the sse stuff..... and this in part with getting an intel chip automatically adds another 45 mhz to your cpu ;) is what makes pentiums better gamers than amd's.... and to all those people who say they don't well you carry on thinking that because these programs are all based around the very first major processors (them being your pentiums aaaahhh i still remember my good ol 66mhz processor)... oops boss is looking i'm suppossed to be doing a reformat on this idiots comp but it's only at 57% (crazy 533mhz processor and 60 gig harddrive=very long time to format) dude is mad stupid!!! now tell me how the hell do you magnitize your motherboard fu**ing up the motherboard and all the other parts that belong to it!!! (i'm installing win 98 on it when it's done.. until then i'll keep looking at the guy like an idiot!) see now i've gone off on my rant and can't stop typing....

Darryl_D said:
uhoh old man also has a dually xp!!!

Yeah, kid, I do. I thought it was the ultimate until the northwoods came out.

I'd probably give it up for a 2.26 and a bd7II. Unfortunately, my kids playing UT on it right now, and I'd never get it out of his hot little hands:mad:

UT!!!!!!!???!!!!!! Whoa you let your little kids play violent games like that!!!!! Thaaat shiznit will rot your mind!!!! (Don'r you think he's too young to be playin games like that) Imagine how kick @$$ a duallie p4 system would be!!! I'd xchoose it over a 2.26 anyday!

takiwa said:

You may want to look on 3Dmarks site, it seems all of the highest marks are held by P4 chips. Maybe its different on our 3Dmark team, but on thier site P4 is the king.

Last edited:
Darryl_D said:
UT!!!!!!!???!!!!!! Whoa you let your little kids play violent games like that!!!!! Thaaat shiznit will rot your mind!!!! (Don'r you think he's too young to be playin games like that) Imagine how kick @$$ a duallie p4 system would be!!! I'd xchoose it over a 2.26 anyday!

The little guy is pretty good at ut! He prefers it to garfield and barney hands down.

I prefer rtcw and gta3, but gta3 especially isn't for kids!

Dual p4 would be the coolest!:cool:

rlemieux said:

You may want to look on 3Dmarks site, it seems all of the highest marks are held by P4 chips. Maybe its different on out 3Dmark team, but on thier site P4 is the king.

I agree. From what I've seen, the p4s own 3dmark2001. No contest.

I'm not looking to flame amd though. Just bein' honest.:) :p

Back