• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.26GHz is Excellent!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You may want to look on 3Dmarks site, it seems all of the highest marks are held by P4 chips.
I agree. From what I've seen, the p4s own 3dmark2001. No contest.
Well, fellows, if you check the overall top scores, it's pretty even. Only when you move to 1032x768x32, then the top 5 are P4's followed by an XP...although anyone with half a brain knows that the RDRAM is bailing the P4 out of this one...I don't have anything against Intel or AMD, and I look at both of them objectively. The P4 is not a very good processor by itself, and relies on the mem bandwidth to carry it. The cpu is the bottleneck, even at 3GHz...I'm sure RDRAM can perform even better than that. Just MHO...and Rasputin'sLiver, I didn't take anything you said to be a flame, bro...we're just conversating ;)

hey ras old friend if your not willing to flame amd i am!!!!

AMD SUCKS!!! IT's A CHEAP CHIP AND THE ONLY REASON THEIR SO CHEAP IS BECAUSE IF THEY WERE MORE NO ONE WOULD BUY IT!!! AND EVERYONE WHO OWNS AMD KNOWS THAT DEEP DOWN IF P4 WAS AS CHEAP AS AMD THEY WOULD GO INTEL!!!! (and those that disagree are lying to themselves!!!!)

there how's that for a flame?

takiwa said:
The P4 is not a very good processor by itself, and relies on the mem bandwidth to carry it. The cpu is the bottleneck, even at 3GHz...I'm sure RDRAM can perform even better than that. Just MHO...and Rasputin'sLiver, I didn't take anything you said to be a flame, bro...we're just conversating ;)

No problem, buddy.

I love my duallie (2 mp 1800s) but just one thing ....

With my NO RDRAM p4 1.6a system at 2.64, my DDR ram is either very good or - bottleneck nothing- the p4 is producing some serious very serious memory bandwidth!------look :D :

Attachments

• memband 2.64 4.jpg
    memband 2.64 4.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 174
Darryl_D said:

AMD SUCKS!!! IT's A CHEAP CHIP AND THE ONLY REASON THEIR SO CHEAP IS BECAUSE IF THEY WERE MORE NO ONE WOULD BUY IT!!! AND EVERYONE WHO OWNS AMD KNOWS THAT DEEP DOWN IF P4 WAS AS CHEAP AS AMD THEY WOULD GO INTEL!!!! (and those that disagree are lying to themselves!!!!)

ROFLOL! DD - Now tell takiwa how you really feel!:burn: :burn: :burn:

Darryl_D said:

So let me guess, you have an AMD:beer:

well i can't tell him how i really feel as then a mod would need to edit the post :eek:.... i will however tell you that by no means is RDRAM the thing keeping the p4 up! As a matter of fact in many cases RDRAM is what stops people from overclocking more! (as it is very sensitive to the fsb...) What it all boils down to is that tawika is jealous that our ram has got more bandwidth than amd can ever dream of! And what's this.... amd can't strike a deal with Rambus to get some of the cut... oh well too bad!

It all boils down to this... amd got real thickheaded and stuck up because of the fact that they beat intel (a company well over 10x it's size) to the 1 ghz mark! and now when intel is beating it they try to hide the true mhz their processors have by making up this stupid pr rating system!!! That's absurd! And all of these people think amd loves them! AMD could care less about all of you! The only reason their in this game is for money!.... what... do you think that if amd could charge the prices intel charges it wouldn't? Of course it would! But it can't because intel has 80% of marketshare... and in order for amd to even have 20% they need to attract those poor and cheap people who rely on cheap processors for good performance! Heck it would do squat to our economy if amd went out of business...

Intel however is trying to help amd! They own 15% of AMD's stock... and like a greedy old man intel is making sure the things they do does not harm AMD(Much...) this is what's stopping intel from dropping their prices down to AMD's prices... (Intel could afford it too! A year with it's prices at AMD's prices and amd is out of business)! It should also be noted that so many people are leaving the AMD front that they are trying to get more people to help them... this quoted directly from the front page.... "AMD is scheduled to do a 40% pricecut on ALL processors! To them it must seem better to sell more processors cheaper than sell less processors at more expensive prices," Now that AMD has lost most of the pc enthusiasts (those they earned during Intel's dark period... we'll call it the p3 ages) it has noticeda 6% drop over last years gains!!! 6% is a lot! say 1 million people bought your processors.... 6 percent of that would be 60,000 people, now say on average a person bought a processor that costed 100 dollars that's 6,000,000 dollars you guys just lost!!! This is why AMD is delaying processor releases, this is why they don't have money for R+D and this is why eventually they will go out of business... they should just get up and start competeing with VIA maybe that's a sure game they could win!

okay now that my antiamd rant is over, and my boss is not looking over my shoulder (jesus ras what was that the 3rd one today you got me in!) we can continue the p4=god topic....

the pentium 4 has a 400mhz (now 533mhz) bus! the AMD still running on 266! What do you think amd doesn't want more higher fsb frequencies! of course they do.. but as ddr400 was not released yet they could not! as the mem could not handle it!) the p4 however does, and just because it has RDRAM as a perk it doesn't make or break the system! Lot's of people with ddr are smoking amd!

HaywirE said:
Is that a Northwood?

I've heard that Northwood sucks

True?

You know you are one of the ones that make new members looked down upon.

Ther proper way to say that is..... Is that a Northwood? How do they compare to the XP's? Not some third grade, I heard your daddy sucks.

As for answering that, just look at some reviews and see for your self. Anything that can hit 3Ghz cant be that bad, huh?

Also, to everyone here.

AMD and Intel have their good points. We all choose what we prefer and can afford. Myself, I am looking for the fastest best peforming chip I can afford. Right now, for me, that is the 2.26 P4. In a year it might be an AMD.

One thing for sure though, Intel is winning the performance wars. And they are due to release a 2.6 and a 2.66 soon. AMD has lost a lot of ground in the last couple of months expecially with the 2200+ not being what everyone expected from the Tbred core. Who knows they might correct that, but right now Intel is in the lead.

Darryl_D said:
Lot's of people with ddr are smoking amd! [/B]

Yeah DD - that's the one thing that the amd shills always say that gets my goat every time.

The P4 thrives on ddr ram, thank you.

A buddy of mine bought a rambus system just to compare rambus to ddr keeping everything else as equal as possible. Everything identical down to the case and power supply except that he bought an 850 board from epox - a 4t-something, something--and I bought an 845 from epox. He bought corsair rambus, I bought corsair ddr.

He cant get the sob over 129fsb without major instability no matter what he tries. The board has all the right settings - agp/pci lock, cvolt to 1.85 yada yada but the mutha just won't overclock that well. Mine, not to brag, has lived in the stratosphere since day one. I have had it running as fast as 2.78 ghz, but I chose to throttle back to 2.56 to acheive 100% stability and maximum memory bandwidth.
DDR and P4 rule!:D

rlemieux said:

You know you are one of the ones that make new members looked down upon.

Ther proper way to say that is..... Is that a Northwood? How do they compare to the XP's? Not some third grade, I heard your daddy sucks.

As for answering that, just look at some reviews and see for your self. Anything that can hit 3Ghz cant be that bad, huh?

Well said!:)

AMD has lost a lot of ground in the last couple of months expecially with the 2200+ not being what everyone expected from the Tbred core.
I really can't understand why P4 fans keep saying this...Can anyone guess what I'm about to say? C'mon, you all know the words, lets sing it together!

W I L L A M E T T E

Now that that's out of my system...
What it all boils down to is that tawika is jealous that our ram has got more bandwidth than amd can ever dream of!
I had planned on building a P4 system since early this spring. I chose to go AMD so I could learn about their systems, and I can't say that I am disappointed. I had a Celeron 1.1a @ 1562 (second highest in the db, no fakes here, bro!) that I was thrilled with. I was even comparing it to a P4 at one time, because my benches were better! At the end of the year, I'll look at what's out there, and make up my mind then as to which brand I want to go with.

Overclockers look for the chip with the best possibilty to overclock...because that's what we do. But put those 2 systems up head to head on a DDR platform (and please don't start screaming RDRAM, according to your post above, the P4 really doesn't need it to beat AMD), and the AMD would win. But as far as overclocking goes, Intel has the ball right now, and they are running with it. But what seems to get lost in the fray of things is this: a cpu is a calculator. It does math. Even at lower speeds, AMD's do more math. A 3Ghz P4 still has trouble folding or crunching like an AMD does.

As far as your market shares are concerned, and AMD going out of business, forget it, bro. Their computer market is what you refer to...they do alot more than that! If they were ever to stop their other business ventures, and pursue solely the computer market, Intel would see a whole new kind of competition. Let's hope that never happens, right? ;)

Last edited:
takiwa said:
As far as your market shares are concerned, and AMD going out of business, forget it, bro. Their computer market is what you refer to...they do alot more than that! If they were ever to stop their other business ventures, and pursue solely the computer market, Intel would see a whole new kind of competition. Let's hope that never happens, right? ;)

[/B]

It would of course be horrible if AMD went bust. The reason we have affordable cpus (finally) is because of the spirited competition between these 2 companies.

Viva La Difference!:beer: (parting shot - northwoods rule!)

As I said before they both have thier good points. We get what we prefer and can afford. Like I said the fastest, best performing processor for my money right now is the 2.26 P4, in a year I may be saying AMD. And I agree with Ras, I like the competition. If AMD wasnt around I would not be able to buy a 2.26 Ghz chip.

lol if amd wasn't around we'd be arguing how my 1 ghz cyrix that was 700 dollars can whoop all of your @$$es!!! AMD may have given intel a run for it's money back in the dark ages.... but thruth be told i don't think that Intel is too worried now is it?

And tawika there is a big difference between the thoroughbred's and the Willy's... the biggest one being that Intel acutally but time and effort in the willy (and it didn't have a .13m die did it?) while the t-breds are being neglected like some leftovers from last month! and to top that off amd shrunk the die (THOSE INTEL WANNABE'S A SWEAR ALWAYS COPYING!@!@!@) and this still did crap(we all know what i wanted to say there ;)) for their overclocks!!!

Darryl_D said:
And tawika there is a big difference between the thoroughbred's and the Willy's... the biggest one being that Intel acutally but time and effort in the willy (and it didn't have a .13m die did it?) while the t-breds are being neglected like some leftovers from last month! and to top that off amd shrunk the die (THOSE INTEL WANNABE'S A SWEAR ALWAYS COPYING!@!@!@) and this still did crap(we all know what i wanted to say there ;)) for their overclocks!!! [/B]

I'll bet amd has spies infiltrating intel's laboratories. Intel comes out with a flip-chip coppermine, then lo and behold, the amd t-bird with an exposed core on the top of the chip.....intel goes to .18, amd follows etc........

We should hire some of those amd spies to find bin-laden. I'd bet that they'd find him.:)

lol if amd wasn't around we'd be arguing how my 1 ghz cyrix that was 700 dollars

Yeah peeps...like it or not we need AMD. Cause Intel would turn into Microsoft and there would be no other choices for us, no competition to drive down prices, no competition to fuel innovation. Man just think about it for a second. I like having a choice, and to be honest AMD is not evil...it is just a CPU manufacturer. I like both. krag

krag said:

Yeah peeps...like it or not we need AMD. Cause Intel would turn into Microsoft and there would be no other choices for us, no competition to drive down prices, no competition to fuel innovation. Man just think about it for a second. I like having a choice, and to be honest AMD is not evil...it is just a CPU manufacturer. I like both. krag

I completely aggree. Thats why over the last year or so we have seen the price drops we have. Because Intel now has someone to compete with. Five years ago AMD and Cyrix were of no concern to Intel and they could do pretty much what they wanted. Thats why 4 years ago when I bought a PIII 500 sysetem I paid 1500 bucks and two months ago when I bought a P4 1.8A system I paid 800.

Intel now at least is looking at AMD in the rear view mirror. A few years ago AMD want even in the race. If you dont like one or the other thats fine dont buy them. Its that simple.

There is one thing about some AMD fans that gets me though. Some of these people think AMD actually cares about them. That could be the futhest from the truth. If they could get away with charging what Intel does they would, but they cant so they appeal to a different market. They are both big corperate companies and all they care about is making money. Intel fans know this, and they dont care. They just prefer them because they feel they are superior. I feel alot of AMD fans like them for the simple fact that they think AMD is going to bed each night dreaming about them...... Come on guys come back to reality. They are thinking about money, market share, advertising, etc. You dont mean anything to them, all they care about is you buying thier product. That is it.

rlieumex thank you for stating what i said 12 posts ago!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No hard feelings though......:D

Back