• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Loop/Radiator Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello All,

Im new here and just built my first Watercooled system and am now nuts about this stuff and feel that its not enough. I was able to take my i7 870 to a 4.2GHz stable clock with only putting out 48*C under full load for 8 hours.

Now i am going to get a little extreme with this IMO. I want to do this setup all internal.

I will be using:
DD Water Box Plus
2 x Black Ice GTX Xtreme 120 Radiator (one for each loop - Push/Pull system)
1 x Koolance VID-AR697 Radeon HD6970 / HD6950 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Rev 1.1
4 x Koolance RAM-33 Ram Liquid Block
1 x Danger Den MC-TDX Liquid Cooling Block
1 x EK ASUS P55 Series Full Board Cooling Block Kit - Acrylic
2 x Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir
2 x Danger Den DD-CPX Pro
2 x Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid (1 UV Acid Green / 1 Blood Red) or (1 UV Invisible Blue / 1 UV Pink)

Basically, I will have 2 loops. 1 will be through the 120 Rad, Reservoir, Pump, Ram, GPU.

The other through Rad, Reservoir, Pump, CPU, Chipset.

Does this sound like it will work or is it not enough radiator?

Thanks all for the input.
Edit: sorry, forgot the radiator in the loop..
Setup1.png

i like your layout... this looks more like how i think the water cooling loop should look like... i've seen that lots of ppl use radiator first and then push the water to the block ... and then letting the hot water run through theit pump...which in my opinion is not really a good idea... i think it's better to run water to block to let it warm up and then let it cool down in radiator before returning... at least that's how car motor cooling is done :D.

in my build for sandy bridge 2600k im gonna use 3 radiators and two loops...
im gonna run it like this . reservoir►pump►radiator 200mm in side panel►cpu►radiator 140mm in the back where fan is►back to reservoir..
i haven't decided on the second loop yet, but it's gonna run throuh everything else (ram,NB,SB,mosfet,Gpus) to XSPC 360 rad for low rpm fans... and i think im gonna put the gpus as last thing to cool as it generates more heat then other components... so it wont heat up the rest of the board..

btw: have a look on koolance Koolance RP-452X2 dual loop pump with reservoirs... fits in two 5,25" bays ... they even make this for 1x5,25" bay

i like your layout... this looks more like how i think the water cooling loop should look like... i've seen that lots of ppl use radiator first and then push the water to the block ... and then letting the hot water run through theit pump...which in my opinion is not really a good idea... i think it's better to run water to block to let it warm up and then let it cool down in radiator before returning... at least that's how car motor cooling is done :D.

It's generally accepted that the order makes very little difference. Once the loop reaches equilibrium (usually a half an hour or so at most) the temperature difference in the water throughout the loop is a couple degrees C at most.

in my build for sandy bridge 2600k im gonna use 3 radiators and two loops...
im gonna run it like this . reservoir►pump►radiator 200mm in side panel►cpu►radiator 140mm in the back where fan is►back to reservoir..
i haven't decided on the second loop yet, but it's gonna run throuh everything else (ram,NB,SB,mosfet,Gpus) to XSPC 360 rad for low rpm fans... and i think im gonna put the gpus as last thing to cool as it generates more heat then other components... so it wont heat up the rest of the board..

You clearly have not done your homework, loop order does not matter except that the res needs to be before the pump...and that's just for the health of the pump. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225485

It's generally accepted that the order makes very little difference. Once the loop reaches equilibrium (usually a half an hour or so at most) the temperature difference in the water throughout the loop is a couple degrees C at most.

Basically, what he said...and 2-3C would be pretty extreme, like 1000w+ of heat into a single loop.

btw: have a look on koolance Koolance RP-452X2 dual loop pump with reservoirs... fits in two 5,25" bays ... they even make this for 1x5,25" bay

I looked at these along with several others. The problem I have is its a DD Waterbox Plus and do not have to 5.25" bays next to eachother so they wont work.

I took m0r7if3r's advice and now am having to mount a 240 Rad on the backside. But it is great advice as now I wont have as much of a problem with temps.

I normally dont overclock because there isnt a whole lot of point IMO anymore. I used to for fun but now I would rather have my system last. Besides, CPU's are already pretty damn fast and seeing an extra frame or 2 for 6 months of use, then smoke, isnt worth it to me.

Back