• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 MCP-600s vs. 1 MCP-655

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been running dual pumps since day one (over three years ago now) and after a few tests I've found having the extra pump doesn't help a thing. A single 655 running at ~4.1 will delever the same performance as both running on ~3.2 - that's pushing through a Storm, MCW-60, and a pair of dual-sized heater cores.

However, I didn't install double-pumps for added performance, I did it for the same reason I have a pair of HDDs in RAID1. ;)

You could get pump with tach sensor, connect it to CPU fan socket and setup in bios and os to shutdown if pump stops.
That's been done with the MCP-35x pumps. Unfortunately the MCP-655 pumps don't have a tach lead ...

But doesn't the rotor of the laing pump block the flow if one pump is down? (When using a double pump).

It seems extremely flow limiting.

That's been done with the MCP-35x pumps. Unfortunately the MCP-655 pumps don't have a tach lead ...

the basic ones do, at least some do. mine has one.

But doesn't the rotor of the laing pump block the flow if one pump is down? (When using a double pump).

interesting thought, it might still spin the second one if it dies... i should try that with my setup.

the other this is if you have 2 pumps with sensors you need 2 slots and AFAIK only the cpu fan slot can shut down the pc.

Ya, it would be nice if they had a tach lead.The mcp-355's arent bad. Im not opposed to the look with the xspc res top for those 355's. I think im more apt to hit up one of the primochill typhoons though. I like the look and the speed of the 655's and the D5 in general. Ive read good things for sure. I also like that they are a bit quiter than the 355's. Not the noise is really an issue, but at some point Im sure it wont be completely ignorable. Thank god Im always playing music or something, which covers the excessive noise.

The hope though would be that there would be enough flow for to keep things going till you could notice the issue. Has anyone actually seen it work?

I haven't tested this per se, but you can easily test this out with a couple of pumps and a bucket. Make a simple loop with both pumps and some tubing and get them pumping to and from a bucket, then pull the power off of one of the pumps and see how much less flow you see out of the improvised loop. It's not giving you concrete numbers but will give you a general idea of what your loop will perform like if a pumps dies on you.

Maybe this weekend, Ill swap in my 655's and test that while I have my loop apart. Its that or ill have to get some plastic hosing from home depot to do some tests. Totally need to get off the dime and go ahead and get like 10 feet of tygon or something. I know I want to run black...probably primochil tubing when I set up in my case, that or fesser.

The settings I listed above were with/without the second pump shut off but still in the loop. I wanted to set the pumps as low as I could and still have one of them able to run the loop if the other went down. There's not much point in running them dual for safety if they can't do that! ;)

With the everyday ~3.2 setting temps climbed ~4°C when the second pump was shut down. Turning one pump up to ~4.1 brought temps back to normal with the other pump still in the loop but shut off. My loop at the time was:
'T' > MCP-655 > HC* > MCP-655 > Storm > MCW-60

*two 2 x 5.5 x 9.75" Bonneville heater cores in parallel w/equal-length tubing and ~230 total CFM from a squirrel cage blower

YMMV

my pump has the tach wire, but for some reason not all of the 655 basic's came with the tach wire.

My 655s are 3.5 years old - there was only one readily available type then. ;)

Happy to see the new ones have a tach. It would have been a nice suppliment to the testing data I collected ...

just got my brand new 655 someone send me another free one ill do it...lol joke or truth too...lol
mine has the tach wire on it its the vario model not the b..

Damn. I need to get ahold of atleast one of those with the tach. Then, I can run at 5 and see the flow. Be a bit before I have cash for a brand new one though = /. But hey, my 4890 block from hardass just arrived. Im stoked. I like this clear acrylic look alot more than I thought I would.

The tach won't give you flow rates and I doubt the RPMs change much from free-flow unless you're severely restricted - and we all hope our loops are designed better than that ... ;)

Back