• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2011 Processors Cooling options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeadClot

Registered
Hello Overclockers forums,

I am looking at getting a new 2011 processor. A friend of mine recommended liquid cooling. But personally I want to go air cooling.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please note that I currently do not have a build put together.

The Corsair H50 (sealed water unit) is a great cooler. I have it mounted horizontally outside the case with air flowing up through it. A push-pull fan setup with Antec 3-speeds on high keeps my temps under 51*C on a Pentium D 830 at 1.5 Vcore (hit 50*C once). Stock settings with the fans on low produces a very quiet max temp of 46*C (idle about 33*C). My room temperature is about 68*F.

The old 830's are pretty hot, but i don't know how much heat a new processor puts out.

Last edited:
seeing the price of new processors, id say go with 2600k on regular sandybridge, or if you have the budget of lga 2011 you might as well have the budget of an extreme water cooler,just go with water cooler (high on one)

What they're suggesting isn't true "water cooling". They're sealed units, so no chance of leaking, and they're no harder to mount then a heatsink would. Nothing like the custom water loops.

My suggestion would be a Corsair H80. One of the best sub $100 performers out there. The Noctua NH-D14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow are also top-dog coolers.

I am not sure if a nh-d14 will fit on the 2011 boards to well. If they do the fans are gonna be really close to the ram, and the heatsink itself might hit the ram/sockets itself.

This is just how the d14 is in general, its allways a squeeze to mount.

On the cooling end of things it should have no problem handling the load.

I can thoroughly recommend the Corsair Hydro H100. Excellent cooling, tricks to find a case that will fit it no worries. Towards that purpose the Aerocool Blackhawk case will fit it in no worries.

HeadClot, welcome to the forums! :welcome:

From what I've seen so far in reviews on SB-E, it's going to be a real heat monster, maybe even worse than Bloomfield or Bulldozer when overclocked. So if you plan to overclock it significantly, be prepared to spend a good amount of money on cooling if you go either air or water. If you go air, I would go no less than a Noctua NH-D14, TR Silver Arrow, Archon or True Spirit 140, Prolimatech Genesis or other high end Tier 1 air cooling solution. For LCLC systems, The Corsair H80 or H100 or the Antec Kuhler 920 would be the only ones to look at. And if you decide to go water, build yourself a custom loop with a big rad if you want to push that heat monster hard.

Sorry for my absence I have been out of town.

I am still looking at the air cooling solutions but I have a few questions about the water cooling options. I am totally new to water cooling btw.

1. What is the liquid most commonly used in water/Liquid cooling rigs?

2. Would I need to purchase the Water cooling if i was to get the SB-E? (I have no intention of overclocking)

I also do not feel very safe with a liquid inside my PC.

Thanks every one for the help :)

1. Distilled water
2. The risk of leaks comes with doing a custom water loop, or buying a kit. If you buy something like the Corsair H series, it's sealed, so it cannot leak. However, the sealed units perform the same to ever so slightly better then normal air heatsinks.

You're getting SB-E and not overclocking? Madness. But in that case, a Hyper212+ should keep it cool at stock.

ya get a H100 or a water loop IF you are going to overclock, if you are not going to overclock i would just use the stock heatsink,and use the money you save and buy a better CPU or better RAM

ya get a H100 or a water loop IF you are going to overclock, if you are not going to overclock i would just use the stock heatsink,and use the money you save and buy a better CPU or better RAM

SB-E doesn't come with a stock heatsink. xD

I can throughly recommend the Corsair H100, best cooler I've ever owned bar none

There's plenty of game devs overclock. So long as the system is able to be 24/7 stable at load you're right to go ahead with it. Upgrade the cooling and clock the cr@p out of it dude.

Back