• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2011 Processors Cooling options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There's plenty of game devs overclock. So long as the system is able to be 24/7 stable at load you're right to go ahead with it. Upgrade the cooling and clock the cr@p out of it dude.

Sounds good :)

going to buy a sealed water cooling system :D

Just need to get the money for it now :p

Lol, yeah. I wanted the H100 and then found my case couldn't take it. Replaced my case with the Aerocool Blackhawk and now I've excellent cooling howeever Case + H100 ended up costing me $304 AUD..... Thats expensive you know.

Lol, yeah. I wanted the H100 and then found my case couldn't take it. Replaced my case with the Aerocool Blackhawk and now I've excellent cooling howeever Case + H100 ended up costing me $304 AUD..... Thats expensive you know.

Really sounds like it sucked but in the long term I bet for you it was worth it :)

Yeah, it's prety sweet, very nice low temps even though I've got my chip running at 3.6GHz for all 6 cores. Turned off Turbo.

Typically 31-32C idle temp and 51-53 load temp for all 6 cores. I'm rather happy with that. The case also gave me USB3, 2x hotswap drive bays and a top hard drive dock so I'm pretty happy wiht it all up now. Perfect.

If I were getting an LGA2011 I'd get an NH-D14 SE2011. It's made for the LGA 2011 socket and comes with PWM fans. Any sealed liquid cooler will be much louder to get comparable cooling. To get comparable cooling with the same or less noise you'd have to go with true water, or get a Silver Arrow with an LGA2011 mount.

Air -stay away from thermalright. any cooler made by thermalright manufactured or sold without lga2011 on the box itself itself is not supported for 2011. unlike Noctua who adapt their mounts properly and support their coolers routinely on new sockets Thermalright do not. They advertise they do - reviwers tell you they do - but they don't. Not 1 ounce.
Noctua will even send out a new mount at no cost. Thermalright have always charged for this.
They are the worst in the industry because they want you to buy new every time - environmental vandals who provide no genuine support to their customers.
Water - Antec h20's - 3 year warranty - good company who will not leave you in the lurch.

i thought the new Intel Xtreem cpu' were comming with their version of te H80 like AMD is doing with the FX series. Or is that gona be they ivybridge

Air -stay away from thermalright. any cooler made by thermalright manufactured or sold without lga2011 on the box itself itself is not supported for 2011. unlike Noctua who adapt their mounts properly and support their coolers routinely on new sockets Thermalright do not. They advertise they do - reviwers tell you they do - but they don't. Not 1 ounce.
Noctua will even send out a new mount at no cost. Thermalright have always charged for this.
They are the worst in the industry because they want you to buy new every time - environmental vandals who provide no genuine support to their customers.
Water - Antec h20's - 3 year warranty - good company who will not leave you in the lurch.

Actually, TR is regarded as one of the best heatsink manufacturers. MOST companies make you buy new mounts, they're not that expensive, Noctua is one of the FEW that send you new mounts. All of TRs mounts are available at FrozenCPU.com. So I have no clue what you're talking about, you shouldn't rip on a well-respected company used by MANY people here without solid proof.

Noctua is bringing out a special version of the NH-D14 -- the NH-D14 SE2011. It has a mount adapted to the LGA2011 socket, and PWM fans.

The Silver Arrow ought to stay competitive . . . IF it has a LGA2011 mount AND you buy absolutely flat-down low profile RAM.

Wrong about Thermalright my friend. :) I have found that they are one of the most pro-active companies out there as far as updating their mounting systems. For LGA2011, they have 2 new mount adapters for that socket. This kit adapts all heatsinks from the original Ultra 120 up to the new socket. This kit adapts the new rev True Spirit, True Spirit 140 and HR-02 Macho to LGA2011. Now, charging for the new adapters I will agree with you about; they don't give you free upgrade adapters. But you cannot say they obsolete their older offerings by not updating the mounts.

Noctua is bringing out a special version of the NH-D14 -- the NH-D14 SE2011. It has a mount adapted to the LGA2011 socket, and PWM fans.

The Silver Arrow ought to stay competitive . . . IF it has a LGA2011 mount AND you buy absolutely flat-down low profile RAM.

I haven't tested the Silver Arrow yet, but I don't see why you couldn't offset the fans a little or rearrange the fans for ram clearance, just like with the NH-D14, ehume.

I haven't tested the Silver Arrow yet, but I don't see why you couldn't offset the fans a little or rearrange the fans for ram clearance, just like with the NH-D14, ehume.

I have some TY-140's. When I put the 140mm edge down on the lower part of my RAM, it peeks above the tips of the D14's heatpipes. With flat RAM they would fit inside most any case that uses a 120mm exhaust fan.

With moderate RAM like my Mushkin Redline or my Ripjaws, the TY-140 would be pushed up too high for cases that don't have extra room between the motherboard and the main side panel.

Yes, you could push up the fan, but unless you have the headroom it won't help you. The 120mm push fan on the D14 has another 20mm to play with.

Do you have a budget for the cooler?

The Corsair H100 is definitely an excellent cooler, but if you want to go air cooling, I would say Frio OCK ($79.99), NH-D14 ($84.99) or Freezer i30 ($49.95)

Back