• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2021 - What did you do today in the world of Crypto?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's my plan now. Just going to let them mine till they die. I even decided to start gaming on Xbox again so I can let them mine uninterrupted. I will have my 2 AMD cards mining to my exchange and the rest to my wallet.

I think I just had ill feelings towards my overpriced Newegg Shuffle 6700XT.

I left the game in 2014 after hitting my meager ROI. If memory serves me correctly Ethereum had just split into ETC and ETH. Vert and LTC were the main alts. I kick myself everytime I think about how much I would have made of I stick it or for the cost of electricity. I know this is a common story. My goal is to not let it repeat.

I plan to mine, even at a loss, until Uncle Sam taxes me out of the game or out right bans it.

I left the game in 2014 after hitting my meager ROI. If memory serves me correctly Ethereum had just split into ETC and ETH. Vert and LTC were the main alts. I kick myself everytime I think about how much I would have made of I stick it or for the cost of electricity. I know this is a common story. My goal is to not let it repeat.

I plan to mine, even at a loss, until Uncle Sam taxes me out of the game or out right bans it.
How can you be taxed out of it if you post a loss?

How can you not write it off? Maybe we need a CPA in here. My equipment was bought for a certain purpose. How can that not be a wrote off? No depreciation?

Maybe start an S-Corp?

I don't know the tax laws but someone on Reddit posted a bunch of law code and basically you need $100k worth of equipment before you can write it off.

Please don't take my word for this as I haven't gone down that road yet. I plan on getting a hold of my tax guy and make sure he understands it before I file next year.

My production has gone into the toilet with ETH. 3090 making 120-130mH, estimate on Ethermine is 0.00347/day. My other 3090 quit, gonna send it in to Asus for repair, but dang. Just horrible production recently.

Yep I'm averaging around .005-.006 ETH/day on ethermine with the 2 3080s, each is around 95-100mh/s

I'm less impressed at the value of ETH dipping to $1750ish.

I think I might post up my mining rig on Craigslist and see if someone has more money than brains. It could be a huge come up for me.

Yesterday I received a Ryzen 9 3900x, ASUS Gaming TUF X570 Plus Wifi, and 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz C16.

Today, I spend the afternoon swapping out motherboards and setting up the CPU to mine Monero. I knew the stock cooler wouldn't be up to the task so I installed a be quiet! Dark Rock 4. With all 12 cores overclocked to 4.2GH it's not up to the task either. Lol Soooo, I mounted a 3000RPM Delta to that bish. That did the trick. I have it running at about 70% and the temps are peaking @ 72°.

20210719_164601_HDR.jpg

20210720_194732_HDR.jpg

I recently received RTX3060 (standard non-LHR version) and two days ago arrived RTX3060Ti LHR. Yesterday I thought to put both cards on an X299 mobo with limited CPU speed etc. All seems fine but there is one problem. RTX3060 needs that "special" 470.05 driver to mine ETH at 48-50MH/s while RTX3060Ti doesn't work with this driver. Windows is forcing the same driver for both cards, so both work on the new driver, or one card doesn't work at all. So I wonder if there is any way to force a different driver for each card and make them work in the same PC at optimal speed. As an alternative, I can give RTX3060Ti to my brother who is mainly playing games, and take RTX3070 from him. There will be probably 1-2 more cards but I have to solve this issue first.

Picked up another GTX 1660 Super to expand my small mining PC.

Shame they're $400+ now, I could have picked one up for $200-250 fairly easily a year or so ago.

Yesterday I picked up an MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB. It was a little over priced but well below the current market value. I should get most of the ROI before February so I'm not too concerned.

This one requires Compute Mode in Windows or RX Boost 1 in Linux. It's running a little hot so I'll probably pull it out of the rig and give it a re-paste tonight since it looks like its never been changed.

20210823_192145_HDR.jpg

20210823_200340_HDR.jpg

Ok. I did it again. I found a Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 8G card for $250. Normally I only buy one card and wait till I reach ROI but since we're down to the wire I went ahead and pulled the trigger. My initial settings are hitting 30.36Mh/s. I think I'm getting the hang of this. Lol

20210902_190201_HDR.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot. My motherboard is fully populated now and my PSUs are both at 80% capacity so I'll need to swap boards and upgrade power supplies if I want to expand again. Hopefully I can resist the urge at least until after ETH 2.0 hits and we see what crap coins look like.

20210902_192931_HDR.jpg

20210902_192937_HDR.jpg

You should pick up some HP server PSUs from parallelminer.com much cheaper and easier than regular ATX PSUs.

I have been looking into them and will definitely consider them when I expand again. I do like the convenience and relative quiet of an ATX PSU, but there's no denying the cost-effectiveness of a server PSU.

Mine are well under their capacity so they are near silent. My 5700xt is the screamer of the bunch.

I don't have a wall meter, nor am I home to tally the cards up. I can say I try to stay at 80% of the PSU rating when the cards are at stock clocks. Then run them far below that. This way a an unattended reboot doesn't overload anything.

All summer long in record breaking heat the server PSUs never went 100% fan speed.

Back