• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bent a bunch of pins in the rive pulling up the phase head after testing the first 3930k :/

I'm not sure how you could do that but well somehow I've dropped cpu into the socket and bent 3 pins on R3E. I also burned 2 pins on MVG and in some magical way I've noticed that 2 other pins are missing from the socket. In this case ASUS replaced all socket.

Yeah...hated the huge backplate so removed it as well as the cpu holdown. Made erasiring super easy and clean but when I tried to pull the head up, it was stuck to the cpu. Shifted it a touch to break the seal but when I pulled the cpu and looked, there was a big stripe of bent pins. :( Already sent it off to asus for repair...hopefully they let me slide and cover it under warranty (like you, I tend to buy most of my mobos new for the full warranty action).

Next time around think I'll just eraser over the backplate and cpu holdown and call it a day.

My MVG had replaced socket due to issues with memory in 2 slots. Besides that it was working fine ( with 4 or 5 damaged/missed pins ). I don't know if they will replace it when there is more bent pins that is mechanical damage ... have to wait for answer from their side.

I got MSI X79A-GD45 from RMA on friday and I already set it on auction. Replaced to other, not new board. Support said it's new but it doesn't look like new. I don't care much as long as I can sell it.

I didn't try SS/Dice on my RIVE yet. My brother gave me back 4x8GB Patriot 2400C10 so I'm testing max clocks but performance above 2666 is weird and I'm not sure why.

Yeah...we'll see what they say. The rive was working pretty nicely until I killed it :/ The mve is cruising along...have the tridentx 2000 running reasonably well (stable enough for benching) at 9-9-9-24 @ 2225 w/1.85v. Just can't seem to tighten them at all :(

Nice work funsoul, I foud that 643 FSB to be rather impressive. Didn't know they could get that high.

Thanks Johan45! Yeah man...right back at ya'! You've been cranking over there! Hoping to do better once I actually get the rex under cascade. The record's 710 :drool:

Thanks Funsoul I've been bust trying to clean up some benches that I've missed. Wanna get it done before the warm weather gets here.Looks like you've got a ways to go 710's a tall order. So you still don't have gas in that thing??

Had gas but one of my kids unscrewed one of the gauges and it all leaked out :( Have it in the shipping crate ready to go back to the builder. Once I get a quote from sdumper (he gets a massive ups freight discount) will make arrangements to have the cascade picked up and shipped back to him for some tweakage and re-gassing. Hoping that I'll be able to improve the 643 a bit. Have more experience and a new bios to try. We'll see. Atm am waiting for my 4770k/mvie (and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to get it ~5.3GHz+ under phase).

I remember the "incident" Didn't realize it was going to be that much of a hassle to get it filled. Good luck with that, don't blow a nut!! Ha ha

Yeah...one of the gasses is (from what I gather) pretty difficult to find (r1150 iirc). Also...Scott wants this thing to be raging so prefers I send it back to him rather than have someone else working on it. He's been awesome...the delays have really been my doing (or lack of doing hehe)

You should be all practiced up by then and know what board/cpu/combos work best for your cards. Kids eh?? Where would you be without them.

Thanks Johan45! Yeah man...right back at ya'! You've been cranking over there! Hoping to do better once I actually get the rex under cascade. The record's 710 :drool:

DDR3 boards are easier to OC just because it's easier to get high clocked DDR3 than DDR2. I made 620 FSB on Gigabyte EP45-DS3R last weekend and it would probably go higher if not memory wall.
I made nearly 700 FSB on Biostar TPower P45 in the past but of course then was no max FSB category and I made only some screenshot ... best CPU-Z validation for rankings only 630MHz while board was running 24/7 stable with 4 memory sticks @600 :-/
REX is way too expensive here, about $200 on auctions while E8500+that lower GB board cost me $70 with shipping. With my luck it won't live long :p

Regarding RIVE, I was able to run 32GB Patriot 2400C10@ 3000 CL12 but for some reason bandwidth is lower than on 2400. It's like above some bclk performance is dropping ... something like 100-110bclk = ~60GB/s , 112bclk = ~40GB/s. The same from about 10MHz above each strap and I was testing up to 188bclk. Theoretical controller's bandwidth at ~185bclk/3000+ memory supposed to be ~96GB/s while at these settings I see something like 42GB/s.

I'm sure there's differences between the Intel and AMD but are there any key things to getting the reference clock that high. I tried a week or so ago on the CHV-z with my 6350 and got to 326. I approaced it a lot like CPU validation only using the HT Ref instead of the multi and dropping it to keep the CPU under 5000. Also made sure my Ram/HT and NB were kept low. Are there any tricks that would help with this?? The highest on this board looks like 460, I realize I won't get that high with water.

A lot depends from CPU and mobo. Sometimes there is BIOS issue and on AMD memory counts too. With some high density kits I couldn't boot above 250FSB on CHV while max was something above 330FSB. Old AMD boards were running higher when was optimal CPU microcode and strong CPU. Look at Semprons, some are running up to 450FSB while some won't reach 400 ( like mine :p ).

So what would work better memory wise I mean. I have some low speed 2Gb stcks. Single, dual channel?? Any pointers? Or would I want something faster?

Could use some tips for improving my aqua and 3dm1 scores on the 9800 gx2. Should be able to pull much better subs.

So what would work better memory wise I mean. I have some low speed 2Gb stcks. Single, dual channel?? Any pointers? Or would I want something faster?

for valid, 2GB single stick , low cpu/memory clock etc

I know Aqua for sure doesn't like dual GPUs and there's not much benefit in 2001 either. Is there any way to disable one core on the 9800?? I've never had a dual GPU like that. Core speed is the king don't need any HT just go as fast as you can.

for valid, 2GB single stick , low cpu/memory clock etc
Thanks, I'll have to play around with it a bit,try some different CPU's and mem see what it like the best.

Thanks Johan45. Yeah...I know those don't really like multi-gpu but compared to the hw other folks are using, I should be able to score much higher. Thought about trying to disable 1 gpu, run the bench and then re-enable the 2nd gpu and sli before the screenshot but, at least for aquamark, the app would show that only 1 gpu was used for the run. Also think I'll try with high multi- low bclk (I can get a little more speed vs. low multi/high bclk). Will play around with it tonight a bit.

I just checked a few subs for 2001se and Aqua they were running about 100MHz faster and only 2 cores F_S. Aqua scored an extra 40,000 don't remember the other but it's worth a shot. See if you can squeeze more from that puppy!

Back