• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600x or 2700x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

so i have finally decided to upgrade from my xeon X5675 to a new ryzen build i will be using a B450 tomahawk motherboard havent decided on ram yet. what im trying to decide is do i go with a 2600X or a 2700X my last amd chip wasin the old quad core phenom days so im kinda a newb here my gpu is a 1660TI EVGA black edition and i have a 360mm aio for cooling so which cpu do you recommend and why

also if it matters i do intend to overclock at some point but not right away rig will be mainly used for gaming

All depends on what you will be using it for / playing. I'm not sure the extra cores are most beneficial for gaming. However what is beneficial is the extra IPC of Zen2. So I'm going to answer that question and say neither, instead get the 3600. In terms of budget it's right between the two options you're considering, so you get some freedom in that area, combined with improved single core performance that will help out in games.

Yes there will be some extra steps involved in flashing the bios on the tomahawk, but it does feature BIOS flashback. Check out this thread for more info: https://www.overclockers.com/forums...erboard-for-a-Ryzen-3000-without-a-Zen(-)-CPU There were some initial reports of problems with the new BIOS for the Zen2 CPUs on the Tomahawk, however they have had 4 releases since the launch and it appears to be functional.

For memory get a 16GB (2x8GB) kit of 3200MHz CL16.

The 3600x and 2700x are both $250. Even with the combo deal, you were never going to get 16GB of ram for $35 for the 2700x. But anyway, here's a $400 build:

3600 - $199.99
B450 Tomahawk - $140.99
GeIL 16GB DDR4 3000 - $59.99

Total $400.97

Edit: while checking my links the Tomhawk went out of stock at that price. You should still be able to find it for under $150. If needed you can get slower ram for $50, however to me the extra $10 would be totally worth it. I would even suggest spending an extra $20 or so to get a nice 3200 CL 16 kit for around $80, if you're budget isn't that strict.

I recommend neither, and get a 3600. With the exception of some production work, the 3600 is faster than the 2700x and is cheaper by about $50. You can get a b450 board if you want with Ryzen 3600, but you will need to upgrade the bios before using and if you dont have a previous ryzen chip you will either have to get one from a buddy or have AMD send you a temporary one (believe they have a program.)

I strongly recommend you get a 3600, save that $50 and put $20-30 of it towards a x570 board. There are some entry level x570 boards for under $200. I looked at the egg and your Tamahawk is running about $145 and x570s can be had for $155-$180.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-...UHeqDFOcXz3ZaI4rvIRoCwXQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Really any motherboard will run the 3600. The tomahawk has bios flashback so it will be just fine. That said it's price does seem to be a bit inflated.

If you really want to get gritty, watch this:

I wouldn't run it under the 3200 MHz spec, personally... while performance may not really increase, it is the principal of it all, running below base spec for the platform.

Back