• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2800+ K8N Neo big problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spoons

Registered
Hi guys, i've got my K8N + 2800+ newcastle rig up and running but i've got some big probems.

My temps seems to be really really high, i'm getting 70C load on this setup, accept its not actually failing any stress tests, which you would expect at 70C right?This temps seem to high to be true, i'm using a coolermaster hyper 6 (all the review ive seen of it said it performed better than a sp-97) + 2 fans on the HS + good case cooling. My ambient case temp was never above 25-29C in my old P4 setup, i'm using the same case and fans, accept now its reading 40 under load, wth? :bang head

I've heard a lot about getting wrong temp readings on the K8N, i'm using the 1.1 bios you get with the thing, i'd flash a newer one accept, my floppy drive isn't working.

I've heard about something called Winflashing where you flash your bios in windows, if someone could tell me a little more i'd appreciate it a lot. I need to flash my bios to either 1.2, or the beta 1.32 or 1.33 bio's but as my floppy drive is not working depite all the stuff being plugged in good, I can't flash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

yeah i would say that your bios is the cause of your inproper temp reading.

winflash is a handly little program, but be carful, make sure you close all programs first befor using it, and as always when flashing bios, make sure not to turn the power off.

you can download it an read more about it here.

good luck

P.S. i would reset my HSF just to be on the safe side too :)

Yeah the first time I couldn't get the damned backplate off which MSI kindly glued tight on, and I used the normal one to start with. When I saw the high temps though I redid my HSF and managed to get the backplate off by heating it up to untouchable temperatures with a hairdryer lol as suggested by someone on a forum somewhere.

I added a second HS fan and applied the AS5 the proper way not the AS3 way and saw no big drops in temps which is what sacred me.

It seems tonnes of people are having the problem with this CPU/MB however. Its seems theres some sort of thermal offset for the temps of 20C which is deleted when the MB pickup up a certain type of newcastle.

Thanks for the link to wnflash, i'll try it now.

Yea its really no problem iv been seeing alot of people getting 70c reading when using this mobo and the Newcastle cpu's. Just some kinda bug.

Double check tho just stick ur fingers on the side of the heatsink, If its warm or hot ur ok if so hot it burns ur fingers then u got a problem

Last edited:
where do you get the new bios for the k8n because i am getting high temp readings as well

nm i found v1.2 but is there a newer one?

You may have a defective CPU, my 2800+ Barton was originally overheating--it was at 140F within 5 minutes of turning on, the Asus COP would turn off the comptuer when I first installed it. I checked all my thermal compound and HS alignment, all was well, so I RMA'd it and the CPU has been running at 122F at full load (95-100F idle) with a ThermalRight SLK-800U w/ Arctic Silver III using an 80mm fan, with about 2000 RPM (I don't remember the CFM of the fan, but it was probably between 20-30, fairly low) for a while now, clocked at 3200+ barton speeds (11x200) --> 2.2GHz

SnP2k said:
You may have a defective CPU, my 2800+ Barton was originally overheating--it was at 140F within 5 minutes of turning on, the Asus COP would turn off the comptuer when I first installed it. I checked all my thermal compound and HS alignment, all was well, so I RMA'd it and the CPU has been running at 122F at full load (95-100F idle) with a ThermalRight SLK-800U w/ Arctic Silver III using an 80mm fan, with about 2000 RPM (I don't remember the CFM of the fan, but it was probably between 20-30, fairly low) for a while now, clocked at 3200+ barton speeds (11x200) --> 2.2GHz

probobly not, if it wasnt an A64 then i would have mentioned that, but alot of A64's, especially Newcastles, and Mobiles, have incorrect tempeture readouts, usually about 20-25c to high, this is seen even more often on the MSI Neo line, and it is usually fixed w/ bios updates

Well I got my floppy drive working, I managed to put it in the wrong way because the alignment groove on my floppy IDE cable is on the wrong side for my specific floppy drive.

Flashed my BIOS using winflash and i'm getting what I assume are correct temp readings on the CPU now, about 40ish idle 50ish load, but my case temps is still 40C which is deffinitely wrong.

The biggest problem i'm having now is I can't overclock above about 240 FSB because I get an error when booting up saying "Failed to read drive. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

This is odd, i'm running 240fsb now at 1.5v but as soon as I go up to 245, even with 1.65v, I get this problem. I'm running a SATA 160gb WD drive btw.

Anyone know how to solve this problem with this MB, any help would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:
Spoons said:
Well I got my floppy drive working, I managed to put it in the wrong way because the alignment groove on my floppy IDE cable is on the wrong side for my specific floppy drive.

Flashed my BIOS using winflash and i'm getting what I assume are correct temp readings on the CPU now, about 40ish idle 50ish load, but my case temps is still 40C which is deffinitely wrong.

The biggest problem i'm having now is I can't overclock above about 240 FSB because I get an error when booting up saying "Failed to read drive. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

This is odd, i'm running 240fsb now at 1.5v but as soon as I go up to 245, even with 1.65v, I get this problem. I'm running a SATA 160gb WD drive btw.

Anyone know how to solve this problem with this MB, any help would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

i would try using a 3x LDT(chipset) multiplier, it seems that on this board anything other than 3x causes instability.

and also what ram are you using and what timings?

you could try runing your ram at 166(333) to rule out it being your ram. also have you dropped your cpu muliplier?

EDIT: also you could try setting your HTT(fsb) from clockgen, in windows because some NF3 board cant seem to boot at high HTT's but will run it fin from windows. for example the shuttle in my sig.

Back