• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.2ghz P4 overclocking woes. I need some advice>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lackdog

Registered
First off here are my system specs:
--------------------------------------
Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Speed : 3.52GHz
Performance Rating : PR4682 (estimated)
SMT Support : 2 Unit(s)
Type : Standard
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous ATC (8-way sectored, 64 byte line size)

Mainboard
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
MP APIC : Yes
System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 1016.001
System : To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4C800-E
Total Memory : 1023MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc 82875P,E7210 Memory Controller Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 220MHz (880MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1024MB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 220MHz (440MHz data rate)

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86/IA32) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)
--------------------------------------

I currently have the 3.2ghz P4 overclocked 320 mhz and it runs 100% perfectly stable all the time. I have 4 256MB sticks of Kingston HyperX memory and its PC 4000 configed in bios by SPD. The heatsink I got is a Coolermaster Hyper 6 HSF with arctic silver 5 with plenty of case cooling and under full load the system never goes over around 34c and sits idle at about 21-24c with a pretty cool ambiant room temp.

Ok now heres my prob. I want to be able to overclock my system to 3.6ghz (Actually 3.7), but when I get to 3.6 the problems start. I'll up the FSB and it will run and boot at 3.6ghz. I run sisoft burn in and it will be fine with temps just slightly higher than they are now. Then I'll get out to play a game or maybe just open a app or click on something on my desktop and then blue screen. I'll reboot and then maybe it won't boot and I'll get a bluescreen. Then i'll reboot and it will be fine. Open internet explorer - Bluescreen, reboot, it will be fine, run burn in again...passes without a problem. AN on and on. When I get the blue screen is says something about win32.sys or sometimes IRQ_NOT_EQUAL_.....blah blah blah. I tries everything I know in the bios to maybe stop this. I should be able to hit 3.6 no problem with the cooling I have. I have the vcore on the cpu at 1.6 and I also have tried a slew of things, Like:

Disabling PAT
Turning memory voltage to 2.85 (or is it 1.85 I can't remeber)
Turning off memory turbo mode
Dropping mem from 400mhz to 320mhz

I don't know what could be causing me not to be able to overclock my 3.2 to 3.6? I should be able to go higher I think. Is it my memory, is it a bios setting I might be overlooking? This is really upsetting me because I know i should be able to get a better overclock. Anyway if anyone could help with advice on what to do to make me be able to overclock more I would appreciate. Thanks!

You might want to manually set the timings on your memory. I have Kingston hyperX pc-4000 memory and spd sometimes doesnt report it correctly.

Secondly you might want to try to run two sticks of memory only since there might be problems with running 4 sticks at once. my 2cents

Secondly , what are your v-core settings.

umm u hit the limit, tempramental are teh name of these little buggers. Sell it while you can and wiat for the price drops on 3.4s. I think I will pick one of those up and play with it when its affordable.

I have my vcore at 1.6volts. Actually I just hit 3.6ghz stable....well so far anyway. It passed prime95 and burn in and 1/2 hour of me playin doom III. I tried to manually set my memory timmings. It had it at 2.5-4-4-8 and the hyper x memory should be, according to specs, 3-4-4-8. So i manually set them to that and blue screen again. I then went in the bios and put the mem timings back to by SPD and then disable spread spectrum. After that its been fine so far at 3.6ghz. What is spread spectrum and could that setting have been holdinf be back? Ohh yeah I also do have my AGP locked at thse numbers posted.

Yeah i think my memory is running way below what it can handle too. I know heat isnt the issue either. Trying to see what I can do, thats why i posted at these forums! w00t! :temper:

if you look at the voltage readings from CPUZ or MBM, you will notice that under load you vcore will "droop" or sag alot by as much as .1v so if ur vcore reads 1.55v at idle, you load vcore could fluctuate and be as low as 1.45v causing major instability.

Back