• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 X 8pin Power connectors for Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brad713

I just purchased a Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P motherboard, and I'll be recycling my old PSU (Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze). I was reading through the manual, and I came across this little blurb...

When you overclock the CPU, make sure to connect one end of the included 1 to 3 power cable to the ATX_12V_2X4 power connector and the other three to the power supply to ensure the system is provided with enough power.

To my knowledge, my PSU only has 2 8pin power connectors. So I guess I have two questions. Is connecting 2 power connections to the 3 to 1 adapter better than just the single 8pin connection? Should I try to do some crazy configuration with adapters to ensure all it's using all 3? Would overclocking be out of the question if I only use 1 8pin connection? It's weird that this is kind of sneaked into a footnote of the manual.

There is only one 8 pin header on the board...

I take it there is a connector that allows you to combine UP TO 3 8 pin ATX power leads to that single header on the board. While I am confident one would be fine, even for overclocking (ambient overclocking), just use two in order to be safe. I have an X99 OC Formula, it has two 8 pin ATX leads and I only use one and overclocking easily to 4.7Ghz. Different board, I know, but... you hopefully get the point.

Correct, there is some sort of adapter included that allows you to hook 3 connectors. Thanks for the quick reply.

Back