• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$300 CPU/MOBO Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'll want to do a fresh install after jumping several generations. You could probably get by without it, but honestly I've found it's 9/10 times more trouble than it's worth.

Windows 8 has all the drivers built in, I would agree for Windows 7 though.

Mostly worried about my game installs on G: drive and what effect reinstalling the OS on C: would have. Could I just backup my Docs/games folder and restore them on a fresh OS install?

Mostly worried about my game installs on G: drive and what effect reinstalling the OS on C: would have. Could I just backup my Docs/games folder and restore them on a fresh OS install?

What about the registry? That's the problem. The games would be installed, but not in a way that Windows could understand. It might still work but for anything that needs net connectivity to run like steam connected games it probably wouldn't.

My understanding is that steam games sort themselves out after a new OS install by validating your game files and then updating required files that are missing.

I didn't think about registry entries for other games not tied to steam. That's going to be a problem. Most are digital downloads and I just don't want to spend days re-downloading them.

My understanding is that steam games sort themselves out after a new OS install by validating your game files and then updating required files that are missing.

I didn't think about registry entries for other games not tied to steam. That's going to be a problem. Most are digital downloads and I just don't want to spend days re-downloading them.

Oh, you have one of those slow connections, eh? That's got to suck.

Personally, I wouldn't go the route you want to go. I would reinstall everything fresh with a new OS install. That doesn't mean your method won't work. It just means I've never tried it before.

Well, everything went very well and running much cooler. The board in particular runs a whole lot cooler under load. Also comes with some solid software that makes things like speedfan, etc, unnecessary. UEFI is also really great - coming from someone who has only used BIOS before this.

Very impressed with ASrock. I spoke with a friend in Japan and he says that is pretty much the only motherboard option there. So it looks like they went from a budget option to an enthusiast option with significant shares in some important markets.

Most importantly, the games I am playing at the moment are not optimized for more than one core so I'm seeing some impressive performance increases in those games, over the i7 920. Around 30-40 fps and they run much more smoothly, overall. Finally able to take advantage of SATA 3 and PCIe 3.

Thanks for the help.

Back