• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3400 Venice v 3700 San Diego

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuietIce

Disabled
I'm putting together bits and pieces over the next few months to end up with a cheap SETI cruncher. It will also be used on weekends by my young grandsons for Internet and children's games (not teens). I've already got a cheapo 939 MB with few OC options - I can crank the FSB to 240 MHz and that's about it. So I'm thinking a cheap processor with an 11X multiplier (giving me a 2640 top end at best) and leaving me with the 3400 Venice or the 3700 San Diego as choices. The Venice is ~$60 and the San Diego is almost $90. I skipped over the single core 939 chips so I'm in unchartered territory here and need some advise, so up for discussion:

Is the Sandy a better SETI cruncher than the Venice and by how much ...?

Let me rephrase the question from money terms into hardware terms. Which would be a better SETI cruncher:

3400 Venice w/2x512 RAM
3700 Sandy w/2x256 RAM

Id go with the 3400+ and 1 gig over the 3700+ and 2x256mb since their both 2.2ghz.I dont really think the 1mb cache would make much difference.

Last edited:
Well, as it turns out I ended up with an FX-55 OEM. Newegg had one @ $130 and I just couldn't resist! RAM and the rest of the sytem will have to wait for more $$$.

CABNE 0524 TPMW

I'll give it a try sometime in the next 2 weeks or so w/borrowed RAM ...

Back