• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3820 & asus p9x79 pro OC question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NerfBat

Hello all,
This is my first custom pc build and oc so I am kind of new and am wondering what is going on, below is my pc...

intel i7 3820
asus p9x79 pro
evga GeForce 670 superclocled+ 4GB
G.Skill Ripjaws 16 GB (4x4Gb) DDR3 1600 (PS3 12800)
Corsair HX850 850W
120 GB SanDisk SSD
1TB HD for storage
...and about 8 fans in my case

I have successfully OC'd my rig to 4.5GHz (105 MHz*43) and have stable performance with moderate temps (76-77°C) during stress testing, however I have notice when I try to increase the frequency one of three things may happen...
1)Doesn't post, constant black screen...
2)Starts up but shuts down before posting but repeats this process until I mercy restart it...
3)Posts but soon freezes during stress testing...

Here are pics of my bios settings...
120718192006.png

120718192011.png

120718192017.png

120718192040.png

120718192059.png

120718192106.png

120718192114.png

and here is a link in case the pictures didn't attach...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/120718192006.png/

My questions...
1) Why I am getting a 43 multiplier in windows when bios is clearly set to 44?
2) What is causing my computer to act unstable, specifically when I pursue frequencies exceeding 105 MHz? I have noticed 125 MHz*38 to be a popular setting for the i7 3820 and I cannot even touch 107 MHz*38 without windows freezing under stress and when I exceed 110 MHz I begin to get the endless loop of starting and shutting down (if even) once I try to post. Is that frequency too high for my motherboards base (100 MHz) or is it a ram issue where the memory frequencies between my ram and mobo/CPU don't match? I have tried shooting up the voltages to all my components so again (the voltages in the images I posted get the lowest temps at the setting I have) so I dont understand why my computer starts up and shuts down because my PSU should be plenty big.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to be able to push my rig up into the 4.6-4.7 GHz range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

1. I'm not sure why you are getting 43 when set to 44 in bios. Maybe someone else is more familiar with your board.

2. When you increase bclk, that is increasing CPU frequency as well as memory frequency at the same time. To troubleshoot your instability, you need to eliminate one of the variables while you test. The easiest way, in my opinion, is to lower your CPU multiplier, and increase bclk... If it still is unstable, that means your memory is running a higher frequency and can't handle it (you need to run a lower memory divider so when you increase bclk, cpu runs faster, but memory stays within its rating). If it runs fine with the lower CPU multiplier, that means your CPU is running a higher frequency and can't handle it (you need to run a lower cpu multiplier so when you increase bclk, memory runs faster, but CPU stays within its stable limits).

I hope this helps.

I have tried changing the settings to a 115MHz*38 overclock to mess around with my memory settings and have tried Auto, 1840, 1533, 1226, and 920 MHz but in every instance I run into the same problem when I try to start up the computer it shuts itself down, starts up, shuts down, etc. Could the problem be a power issue where I do not have high enough voltages assigned to my ram?

My first guess is that it doesnt like the bclk that high. If you would like to try it higher than than 105Mhz, I would use the gearing instead to hit 125Mhz and play at that speed.

Unless the PSU is bad, which I doubt, the PSU isnt the issue. PLENTY of power there (a 500W unit would have been fine).

What do you mean by gearing? I can only think of changing my frequency to 125 MHz in the bios.

I think in the OC tuner section, you should have an option to change the bclk multiplier (some call it gearing like Gigabyte) to change it to 1.25x or something like that.

I looked around but found no OC tuner section. The only place I can change the bclk is in the Ai tweaker section. I managed to drop my multiplier down to 12 and crank my freq all the way up to 125 MHz and get a stable boot up so I know that freq is attainable now. I wonder if I have some thermal protection setting on that automatically shuts down the hardware when it starts up.

Back