• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3900x brings out aging AMD fanboi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dayum I'm jelly! I've been peeking at the 3700X & 3900X with a juicy ASRock X570 Extreme 4 or the Steel Legend board, but this is pointing my ears in the right direction. I've been with intel for ages and ever since I shot myself in the foot with my z270 rig, I've been pretty disappointed with intel's shenanigans.

Looks great J_C, helluva OC on the 3900X nice to see better retail chips out there!
C'mon Neb resistance is futile :borg:

Looks great J_C, helluva OC on the 3900X nice to see better retail chips out there!
C'mon Neb resistance is futile :borg:

If I'm going to be assimilated and become part of the borg, I want it done right dammit! ;) It's looking real good tho! And I have plenty of raddage for it with 2nd Coolgate Quad CG480 Ultimate I got from Witchy eons ago in mothball. With Clocks like the ones J_C is having, I'm sure my magic number can be had! This is just the fun that can get me out of retirement! Can't move from my senior living arrangement space tho :rofl:

*Edit* Got a 3900X & the Extreme4 board on my newegg's wishlist :beer:

Same here.

Athlon XP

Athlon 64 X2

Phenom II X6

FX4xxx

i7-4790k

R7-3700x

I have a bunch of others too, but these were the ones installed in my primary rig.

I'm also back in here just because of these new chips, got a 3700X on Monday and am waiting for the a mounting kit to put water cooling on it. This time around I got a wife and a Job so I don't think I"ll be around long, I do miss the days I could spend hours going through posts between classes.

AFAIK the fabric clock can't be set beyond that limit. You could check it out, but I imagine that going into 2:1 on the fabric clock will cost more in performance than will be gained in clocking the memory higher. I believe the reason they added the 2:1 is because Zen+ received criticism because it couldn't run super-fast memory (usually stopping around 3600MHz, or 4000MHz with higher voltage) due to the memory controller clock being paired to the rest of the Infinity Fabric clock (which is the main bus for the memory and SOC, as well as communication between the chiplets.) The communication between the chiplets is one of the factors that makes reasonably fast memory more important for Ryzen in general. In other words, by going to 2:1, you're gaining memory speed at the cost of communication between the chiplets, so only certain workloads stand to benefit (those that don't require a lot of interaction between threads).

On Gigabyte X570 I was able to set IF 1866 so 3733 memory clock fully stable. 3800 is booting and is benchable but is crashing from time to time. Max clock so far 4800+ but 2:1 so in general performance is lower than at 3600-3733. I was testing that with R5 3600 and 3700X so performance is scaling in a bit different way than on 3900X but in both cases 1:1 at 3600+ is the best.

There is a new BIOS for your board released yesterday -> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB

1.0.0.3AB supposed to cause stability issues but I haven't seen any problems. I will check the new one anyway.

Back