• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770k compatible board w/ WiFi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skeeter123

Looking to do a new build (from a 2600k build) with a 4770k that will be used mostly for video editing. No gaming...well maybe a little. It WILL be OC'd...

I'd like to have on-board WiFi and BT.

Any recommendations for an ATX or smaller board?

Thanks!

I know the MSI Z87 MPower has a wireless and BT on it. Otherwise, I'd look at newegg until perhaps others chime in that may know.

Hey! What took so long for a reply!? must have at least 5 minutes!;)

Haven't run any MSIs...(ASUS and Gigabyte in previous builds) Might be time for a new guy..

Hmmm...seems to be just what I'm looking for...Definitely on the short list!

Thanks!

My Asus is a great board, the P8z77 pro with wifi. I can overclock my chip to 4.8, but 4.6 stays stable. I have the Gigabyte UD5 Z77 as a backup, and it too is a great board. Good luck!

I'm interested in built-in WiFi too. Excluding high-end motherboards, the list is more or less:

- MSI MPOWER
- ASRock Extreme 6/ac
- Asus Z87 Pro and Expert
- Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI

i have an idea, get a mid to low end board and add a dongle, or pcie x1 adapter

it also costs almost 300 bucks vs 120 plus a 20 dollar wireless adapter. how many pciex1 slots does anyone actually use?

i dont get some peoples logic.

Last edited:
it also costs almost 300 bucks vs 120 plus a 20 dollar wireless adapter. how many pciex1 slots does anyone actually use?

i dont get some peoples logic.

Based on the latest reviews, 120-150 bucks motherboards seem to have limited OC potential.

So (if your target is 4.5+):
- UD4H from Microcenter plus an adapter (one of the options I'm considering), that is $145+tax+adapter = $170

- GD65 or the Extreme6 plus an adapter for around $190

- Asus Pro for around $200

Excellent suggestions, all!

Keep 'em coming..

Edit: Newbie question here and slightly OT, but who do you like for reliable reviews?

Last edited:
Based on the latest reviews, 120-150 bucks motherboards seem to have limited OC potential.

So (if your target is 4.5+):
- UD4H from Microcenter plus an adapter (one of the options I'm considering), that is $145+tax+adapter = $170

- GD65 or the Extreme6 plus an adapter for around $190

- Asus Pro for around $200

still heck of alot better than 300 bucks lol thanks for the heads up on ocing

still heck of alot better than 300 bucks lol thanks for the heads up on ocing

There are still few reviews and testing methodologies can be different, so take my words with a grain of salt. It's just an impression of a noob.

Looking at max stable clock...

UD3H --> 4.3, 4.6, 4.5
D3HP --> 4.6, 4.4
Extreme 4 --> 4.5
G45 --> 4.0 (auto)
Z87-A --> 4.6

GD-65 --> 4.7, 4.6, 4.7
Z87 Pro --> 4.7, 4.5 (auto), 4.7, 4.6

Last edited:
Thank you kind sir/madam...

Pardon my noobness, but what are the differences in the numbers along each line?

There are still few reviews and testing methodologies can be different, so take my words with a grain of salt. It's just an impression of a noob.

UD3H --> 4.3, 4.6, 4.5
D3HP --> 4.6, 4.4
Extreme 4 --> 4.5
G45 -- 4.0 (auto)

GD-65 --> 4.7, 4.6, 4.7

Thank you kind sir/madam...

Pardon my noobness, but what are the differences in the numbers along each line?

I simply collected the maximum stable clock obtained by different reviewers (the stock is 3.5 GHz) using that specific motherboard. Obviously the comparison is heavily biased (different CPUs, different cooling, etc...), but I somewhat trust the law of large numbers. So far, the LLN seems indicating that 4.5/4.6 is a threshold for mid-range cards, that it's actually not bad at all (my first post was based on fewer reviews, so my 4.5+ statement. A 4.6+ is probably better)

I'm a noob and I can't fully grasp the subtle differences, so I have to resort to statistics...

Last edited:

UD3H --> 4.3, 4.6, 4.5
D3HP --> 4.6, 4.4
Extreme 4 --> 4.5
G45 --> 4.0 (auto)
Z87-A --> 4.6

GD-65 --> 4.7, 4.6, 4.7
So, where are you getting these values from? edit: I see above... yeah, I wouldnt put much stock in those values personally for the reasons you mentioned along with each reviewer does things different. I have to imagine that even a lot of lower end boards will support a 4.5GHz+ overclock with proper cooling. The mobo and its power phases for ambient overclocking are almost all enough. ;)

Back