• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770k compatible board w/ WiFi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ahh. I get it now...It's going to be interesting as time passes to see how these flush out...and LRLN plays... (Law of Really Large Numbers...;) )

I simply collected the maximum stable clock obtained by different reviewers (the stock is 3.5 GHz) using that specific motherboard. Obviously the comparison is heavily biased (different CPUs, different cooling, etc...), but I somewhat trust the law of large numbers. So far, the LLN seems indicating that 4.5/4.6 is a threshold for mid-range cards, that it's actually not bad at all (my first post was based on fewer reviews, so my 4.5+ statement. A 4.6+ is probably better)

I'm a noob and I can't fully grasp the subtle differences, so I have to resort to statistics...

...how many pciex1 slots does anyone actually use?

i dont get some peoples logic.

I'm using one (card reader/ USB 3.0 combo) and would like to use three more (two TV tuners and one sound card) but have only two available. I'm sure there are plenty of others who use the slots.

I think that they can give an idea of what you can get with normal cooling (high end air or AIO) since reviewers rarely use custom loops or "refrigerators".

I'm using one (card reader/ USB 3.0 combo) and would like to use three more (two TV tuners and one sound card) but have only two available. I'm sure there are plenty of others who use the slots.
Just a note, a PCIe 1x card can be used in 16x Physical slot, if that helps. :thup:

Just a note, a PCIe 1x card can be used in 16x Physical slot, if that helps. :thup:

Thanks but I am aware of that. My MOBO (P9X79 WS) actually doesn't have any PCIe x1 slots. All of them are X16 long physically. Two are set at x16, two at x8 (the x16 and x8 slots are paired so if both an x16 and it's associated x8 slot are populated, both will run at x8), and two at x4. The only slots I have left open are one x4, an x8 I don't want to use because it's paired with x16 my GPU is in (and it would put the card close enough to the GPU card fans to potentially cause cooling issues for the GPU), and an x16 that is running at x8 because I have an HBA card in its paired x8 slot (I put the HBA card in that slot since it's on the bottom and allows its passive heat sink to get plenty of air flow (that little sucker gets quite toasty; LSI should've had a fan installed on it).

Back