• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790k temps erratic / high - OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SinlessViper

Registered
So ive been looking into OC'ing my rig after a year of running it in and being content so far.

I recently started to notice my fans kept raising when playing games and rendering which confused me so i started to investigate...

I found that my GPU ref 980Ti was hitting 83C stock so i soon changed that i created a Custom fan curve and i brought that down to 70C straight away. but i still wasnt happy at 70C. so i bought the Corsair HG10 980 bracket and i removed my H80i GT from my CPU and attached it to my GPU. my temps now are around 60-65C under load. thats OC'ed by +200 core and +400 mem.

My attention has now turned to my CPU, i bought a H100i V2 and fitted it in a pull config at the top of my core V51 case. checking temps with furmark i was seeing 100C so i thought ok thats not right so i switched the pull config to a push thinking i need to be pushing air through the rad to cool it properly.

Well this still isnt the case the rad isnt getting hot at all like the GPU one is when air is being push pulled through it.

ive had to take off my OC of 4.6Ghz to stock. and still Furmark is seeing 100C on the CPU which is telling me something isnt right. so ive bought some more artic silver 5 and im planning to delid the cpu.

So before i was just letting my mobo set the OC as per the profiles it gives in the bios i have 2 choices, 4.6 & 4.8Hgz.

i noticed that at 4.6ghz it runs 1.35V and 4.8ghz runs 1.5V.

now i know this chips good for 4.8ghz but i dont know how to set any of the Voltages etc im not that brave/technical.

i could do with some help.

my mobo is a gigabyte Z97x - Gaming 5. does anyone else have settings i could copy to see what works?

Furmark is a GPU test, not cpu...

I assuming you are overclocking and using auto voltage?? Bad idea. Use manual. But you need to test it with a proper CPU stress test like aida64, Realbench, or prime95...

Furmark is a GPU test, not cpu...

I assuming you are overclocking and using auto voltage?? Bad idea. Use manual. But you need to test it with a proper CPU stress test like aida64, Realbench, or prime95...

Furmark also has a CPU burn in function thats what id used to see what temps it was hitting

Oh.. haha, we don't even use it for gpus since it's not a realistic test...

But like I saod, the object of overclocking is to reach a clockspeed with the least amount of vomtage needed to be stable. Get youready voltage off auto and see if you can work it down.

Oh.. haha, we don't even use it for gpus since it's not a realistic test...

But like I saod, the object of overclocking is to reach a clockspeed with the least amount of vomtage needed to be stable. Get youready voltage off auto and see if you can work it down.

ahhh ok, i used it after seeing MSI use it on a youtube video lol

this is what i need help with, i have no idea how to do that as the Bios isnt very intuitive in regards to that. i was wondering if anyone has some settings that i can just copy over like for like to see if it works. i mean im not going for the max OC but i want something half decent thats more than the 4.4ghz boost.

Set the vcore to 1.35v in the bios, and shoot for 4.8GHz. That is the max voltage I would push a Haswell CPU.

Check the voltage in CPU-z under load, to make sure it doesn't go super high above what you set in Bios.

And check the temps. Up to the high 80's on the core, you're good with a vcore around 1.35v.

Try RealBench for stability , as it won't overheat your CPU as P95 would. Turn down the overclock on the GPU if any, as it loads the GPU as well, and the instability cold come from there.

If you are not stable @4.8GHz/1.35v, tweak down to 4.7GHz/1.35v.
If stable, lower the vcore by 0.025v and test again. Adjust with 0.01v (+ or -) until you reach stability.

It's no more complicated than any other bios. Read the guide, make changes to vcore and multiplier. If you have a question about your bios, post up a screenshot of the bios (hit f12 with a USB stick in the system). We cant Hitt he buttons for you man. :)

It's no more complicated than any other bios. Read the guide, make changes to vcore and multiplier. If you have a question about your bios, post up a screenshot of the bios (hit f12 with a USB stick in the system). We cant Hitt he buttons for you man. :)

Lol i'll post screen shots later :) as when ive looked i sat there thinking what the hell to i change.

The guide tells you... others have mentioned what to set. Really, it's only vcore and multiplier. ;)

What is your question regarding the pictures?

You can take screenshots in the BIOS with F12 (you have to insert a USB drive first, probably fat32).

What is your question regarding the pictures?

You can take screenshots in the BIOS with F12 (you have to insert a USB drive first, probably fat32).

What should I be changing here? I mean there are a lot of settings on auto...

So I've set my core frequency to 4.6Ghz @ 1.301V - tested for 30mins on OCCT max temp saw 86C once.

this was after re seating the H100i V2 and applying fresh TIMS. putting the corsair link on performance too.

Last edited:
So I've set my core frequency to 4.6Ghz @ 1.292v - tested for 10mins on OCCT max temp saw 83C once

1.290V becomes unstable after 1 min on OCCT, 4.8Ghz is unstable on 1.35V.

I think there are settings I need to adjust in the bios but what? I mean there are so many that are on auto its crazy.

Surely it cant just be Vcore? this chip will go to 4.8 on auto settings... yet manual its 4.6?

What was the vcore on load at 4.8 on auto? Have you tried to match that value? All I see mentioned is you were at 4.6 1.35V.

EDIT: In your first post, you say 4.8GHz 1.5V... you only set it to 1.35V. Makes sense it isn't working... and why you were seeing such high temps... 1.5V is a ton.

As we (and that guide I hope you read, lol!) said, keep voltage to 1.40-1.45V or less, and temps under 90C when stress testing.

Back