• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

50+ mbps Internet Connect :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
9000KB = 9MB

9MB for a school connection is decent - most Top Uni have OC3 / OC12 connections or multiple T3's

interesting...are schools uses a type of internet that networks all the comoputers togethers, so if one gets a virus they all do!! HAVE STUPID!!

lol - internet connected then using gateway and other systems in place basically agiant LAN spread acoss a city - and if your school gets virus - your system admins should be fired.

My connection is advertised as 7000 down and 1000 up, but I usually get around 5500 down and 850 up. Probably just 'net traffic since I get full rates in the evening. Not too big a drop though. This is on shaw cable in calgary.

SNieX said:
KILOBITS..............LOL/// LOL

nice try though... i would jump and puant right now......:)

SNieX

well Kb is kilobits

like he put KB is kilobytes

I knew it was kilobits. I said Meg but that doesn't matter, it was bits or bytes.

My school has an OC3. I never heard of that until comedian Tim Young came tonight to campus and in his skit asked what kind of connection the school had. I know the University of Delaware has a couple of T3's, at least because that was a couple of years ago.

Well, for those interested in ISP options might want to look into Verizon's FIOS fiberoptic internet. My current speeds are:

Tested from: http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.84Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 12.44Mb/s

And yes, that is Megabits, not Kilobits per second. ;)

The 1.84 is rock solid upload too. I had Comcast before I learned from a friend that works for Verizon that FIOS was now available in my town. I did some research and for exactly the same price a month ($49.95), I was getting 2x's the DL speeds, and 3x's the UL speeds. Plus the ONT box, and D-Link router were included. Took about 2 days for the guys to set it up, but they do all the work. Plus you have the optional of up to 4 phone lines and will be offering Cable TV soon, all through the same fiber line that comes right to the house.

So if your looking for an edge in your internet performance, you might want to see if it is available in your town.

For more info, you can see the story of another customer's install:

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

-Blackstar

you know firefox is know to boost bandwidth scores because of the way it downloads files... so if you want the real results use ie

Test in Firefox:
bgoiyr.jpg

Test in IE:
bgoj5z.jpg

5Kb is not a huge differnce - you would have to do numerous tests and find an avrage to make i more accurate - emptying caches - rebooting each time etc.

Which website are you guys getting the tests done at?

nevermind I found it...

4573/117

Lower than I thought it'd be... eh my school's internet is back and forth...

Broke 50, and this was with AIM in the background :)

connection.JPG

Quailane said:
But it is 445Kb difference.

sorry mean 5KB :D - 5KB is not tat different - i only go by KB and MB myself and if i amd downloading something speed vary by 20-80KB sometimes over time.

This is why I'm the world's one and only IE fanboy...above was done with IE, now everyone's beloved Firefox:

firefox.JPG

I can replicate this a hundred times over and could do so at home as well. So if you guys want better speeds, you know which browser to use now. :p

Gautam said:
This is why I'm the world's one and only IE fanboy...above was done with IE, now everyone's beloved Firefox:

firefox.JPG

I can replicate this a hundred times over and could do so at home as well. So if you guys want better speeds, you know which browser to use now. :p

LOL thats funny. Because I've always sworn that IE was faster :)

Gautam said:

firefox.JPG

With me it is wierd. On D/L Firefox wins and on upload IE wins. The differences aren't that great though.

Back