• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

50+ mbps Internet Connect :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Blackstar said:
Well, for those interested in ISP options might want to look into Verizon's FIOS fiberoptic internet. My current speeds are:

Tested from: http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.84Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 12.44Mb/s

And yes, that is Megabits, not Kilobits per second. ;)

The 1.84 is rock solid upload too. I had Comcast before I learned from a friend that works for Verizon that FIOS was now available in my town. I did some research and for exactly the same price a month ($49.95), I was getting 2x's the DL speeds, and 3x's the UL speeds. Plus the ONT box, and D-Link router were included. Took about 2 days for the guys to set it up, but they do all the work. Plus you have the optional of up to 4 phone lines and will be offering Cable TV soon, all through the same fiber line that comes right to the house.

So if your looking for an edge in your internet performance, you might want to see if it is available in your town.

For more info, you can see the story of another customer's install:

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

-Blackstar

Good to hear on the FIOS . I just ordered today and will get mine installed on 9/15 :D . Comcast is really suck'in big time here in Calif with major slow-downs with my download speeds not even close to 4000 ; but ... as Comcast support always say ... the problem is on your end , not ours :rolleyes: . Bye-bye Comcast :p

I should also mention there is a newer/lower price change for FIOS as long as its a 1yr commitment . All FIOS packages are $5 cheaper per month with the 1yr commit with the new price policy change as of 9/1/05 .

More info found at www.verizonfios.com

i dont upload with IE and if i dont have to download i wont with IE or firefox - i prefer a FTP client, flashFXP woo hooooo :D

I know IE can be faster on some pages / coding, while FF can be just as fast - since doing some firefox tweaks, my FF fliesssssssssssss

Quailane said:
Ya. I know. Comcast says they work at up to 6 (or is it 7 now) "megs" of pure broadband speed. (megabits). I am impressed running at 23.121 Megabits per second.

When it says 23121 kbps, it does not mean 23121 KBps.

There seems to be some confusion between kbps and KBps. The little kb means kilobits per second and KB means kilobytes per second. So if your line speed is 6000 kbps your download speed is 700 KB. You divide by 8 to to convert the number.

Quest For Speed said:
There seems to be some confusion between kbps and KBps. The little kb means kilobits per second and KB means kilobytes per second. So if your line speed is 6000 kbps your download speed is 700 KB. You divide by 8 to to convert the number.

This man is right.

And to the original poster, that is a wicked download speed but that upload is poop.

I tested from DC and got 2787kbps\723kbps which translates into roughly 347KB\s download and 89.9KB\s upload. And I have 3mbps\768kbps Verizon Business DSL. It's plenty fast enough for me!

Chrome- said:
When it says 23121 kbps, it does not mean 23121 KBps.

I think they get that since right below the picture it shows connection speed in kb and KB. Expecially if the lines rated for 6-7megabit thats 4x the connection speed basically.

Back