• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5600x3D coming for ~$200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know right, too little too late vibes... Maybe they had a stock of 5800x3D with defective cores and just decided to double down on them? I'm just wondering if it's still gonna be locked like it's big brother, considering how much you can undervolt it and still keep stock performance...

As often the case I think it has to be viewed in context of what else you can buy for the money?

If you're building a new system from parts, and you had about $200 for a CPU, is it that interesting? Similar could apply if you have a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen, maybe even 3rd gen and want a bit more life out of the AM4 platform.

I'm not looking at current US pricing in detail so I may be a little off, but similarly priced CPUs include Intel 13400F which gets you more cores and more IPC, probably single thread too? On AMD side, I see the 5800X, giving 8 cores without the extra cache. How that balances out for gaming? I don't know exactly. I'd keep in mind this is a budget build whichever of these options you take. 5600X3D may well perform great outside of the very newest titles, but I do have a concern that 6 cores might be a bit lacking looking forward. If you choose this class of CPU you're probably not aiming that high end anyway.

Have any sites done a "simulated 5600X3D" test yet, by disabling a couple cores from a 5800X3D?

If I was on a tight enough budget to go 6c/12t I would just get the 5600. Even at 1080p, how much do you have to spend on a GPU to notice the difference between the x3d and not. I understand the principle of test rigs using the best hardware to show the most difference between the components tested, but if the part that is 50% or 100% more expensive will show no difference in a realistic setting, then that should be shown too.

Have any sites done a "simulated 5600X3D" test yet, by disabling a couple cores from a 5800X3D?
Don't think so, haven't seen it in any review?
If I was on a tight enough budget to go 6c/12t I would just get the 5600. Even at 1080p, how much do you have to spend on a GPU to notice the difference between the x3d and not. I understand the principle of test rigs using the best hardware to show the most difference between the components tested, but if the part that is 50% or 100% more expensive will show no difference in a realistic setting, then that should be shown too.
There is a big difference in some games even with the 2*** generation, don't forget that it not only improves the max FPS, but (to me at least) the best thing is the 1% and 0.1% uplift which makes the games silky smooth 😁 "Problem" would be that is mainly only CPU bound games, older games that only use 1-2 cores and online games, especially MMORPGs which are draw call monsters, so greatly benefit from the extra cache. Most GPU bound games don't see almost any difference, so it's really up to you and what you play 🤷🏻‍♂️

On World of Warcraft for example, some peeps gained anywhere from 40%-70% (depending on the zone) switching from a 5900x to a 5800x3D, I mean, that's mental? FFXIV, 5800x to a 5800x3D, ~23500 to ~28000...

Last edited:
Honestly as someone who pretty much built 2/3rds of an AM4 rig in the past weeks, there may be some validity to it.

If someone already has a decent GPU, and these do hit the $200 mark, that's a $325-350 upgrade including a basic motherboard (if they already have DDR4 ram).

It won't be as future proof as AM5 but could probably still hang with a lot of the current game titles.

I think one thing that is being overlooked is board support. Will these drop into any 5800X3D compatible BIOS (seeing as it is literally a cut down 5800X3D)? My understanding is that another BIOS update will be required to support them.

I can definitely see the market as an AM4 user, it's a pretty decent bump from even my 3700x for $200(ish). It is difficult to argue in favor of paying $70+ for 2 cores that might eventually make a difference in some games. All of that is a big if, in terms of board support. So far Asrock has a 5800X3D bios but not a special 5600X3D bios for my (admittedly dated board). If I were in Asrock's shoes, I'm not sure I would see the benefit of testing such a limited run on a board this old. On the other hand, people on newer chipset probably already have a 5000 series chip and much less incentive to upgrade.

I just checked the Gigabyte site for my X570 board. No update for the 5600X3D, so I'd assume the current BIOS optimized for the 5800X3D will probably support the new CPU.

I would hesitate to jump to that conclusion, unless you're actually running the new processor. I never said that manufacturers would jump to support the chip on newer boards, just that it was less likely on older boards like mine. I decided to see if microcenter listed anything about BIOS on their website, and was presented with a bundle. So I figured, lets see if the bundled board has special support. ASUS lists a different (newer) BIOS and specifically addresses the 5600X3D. That doesn't mean it *wont* work, but my understanding is that the BIOS has to be pre-programmed to recognize any given CPU. This was an issue when x470 and x370 boards were having to drop comparability for Zen to support newer chips, because there were too many CPUs for the BIOS chip to store.

5x3d.jpg

No update needed, just plug and play if you are running a bios that already has X3D support.
That's his point. X570 didn't have native support. It looks like you need F30 for X3D chips.

...odd the 5600x3d isn't there on the OP's board.....

EDIT: At the Microcenter near me, in the past, they've allowed me to look at the sticker on the board that shows which BIOS was on it. Not sure if that happens at others or still allowed (haven't done it years, BIOS flashback and basic - bootable to bios - support FTW).

Last edited:
I was asking if a 5800X3D bios would also support the 5600X3D, or whether an additional update was required.

I was asking if a 5800X3D bios would also support the 5600X3D, or whether an additional update was required.
I forgot that 5600X3D came out at the beginning of this month, WELL after the other 5000X3D chips. I would also worry about it not being supported fully without a BIOS update, but I can believe it would be (just wouldn't bet my life on it, lol).

You (royal you, lol) can always reach out to Asus support and see what they say......

......... along those lines, let me ping my contact and I'll report back. :)

Last edited:
Back