• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5870 real pics :D and specs :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what really makes me laugh is ppl claiming now ATI is more powerful than nvidia, comparing the newest NV gpus with the newest ATI ones.

fixed that for you.

the 2 series is their newest, i dont see any 3 series cards out yet do you?

nVidia is slacking with their GT300, bottom line. If all were fair in love and war, nVidia would have released the GT300 today and both teams would be off and racing with their new high end product. But as things stand, they can't. Therefore the only way you can compare companies is by their current, fastest products on the market, and at this time that's the HD 5870 1GB vs. the GTX295.
And I dont think its fair to compare like that either.

1 GPU per card vs. 1 GPU per card.

For giggles one can throw in the GTX295/HD4870x2 to give it a more able measuring stick however.

but we all know if nvidia did the same thing (and has) the **** would still be flying so dont worry about it

nVidia is slacking with their GT300, bottom line. If all were fair in love and war, nVidia would have released the GT300 today and both teams would be off and racing with their new high end product. But as things stand, they can't. Therefore the only way you can compare companies is by their current, fastest products on the market, and at this time that's the HD 5870 1GB vs. the GTX295.

That's nonsense, gt300 will come out soon anyway, so there is no point in compairing the old generation (yes it is the old gen, since the gt300 is the newest one) to ati's newest one.

even comparing prices. the prices we see now will change a lot when gt300 will finally be released.
i just fear someone might buy the gt200 thinking they are still the best nvidia cards on the market without knowing they will soon be replaced.

That's nonsense, gt300 will come out soon anyway, so there is no point in compairing the old generation (yes it is the old gen, since the gt300 is the newest one) to ati's newest one.

even comparing prices. the prices we see now will change a lot when gt300 will finally be released.
i just fear someone might buy the gt200 thinking they are still the best nvidia cards on the market without knowing they will soon be replaced.

No, its the newest UNRELEASED one. As such the others are correct. You can only compare the current generation (You know, stuff thats actually been released).

If you're buying right now, ATI's the way to go. If buying after the new nVidia cards have been released, well, thats something that will need to be decided at that time.

I daresay I'll still be sticking with ATI though. I never need the best product on the market, I just look for whats the best value for money. nVidia's pricing tends to be like Intel's. While you're ahead, charge as much as you possibly can for an incremental performance increase. Bugger that, close enough's good enough I say, if the moneys right that is.

Your logic breaks down on the 'i want the newest, fastest, shiniest' crowd...which happens to include me :p

Quoted for posterity :)

I fall somewhere between new/shiny and price:performance. I never get anything on release week, usually wait for the feeding frenzy to end before I jump in. (Kinda like a Hyena ;) ) been burned before not waiting to see what is good and what is not, reviews do not cover everything...

i donno i kinda fall where i want the newest but i also want a card thats not going to suck up all my power and nvidia seems to suck up tons o power lately.
i dont think their getting their act together on the new ones either, even if they get the fab problem figured out

Quoted for posterity :)

I fall somewhere between new/shiny and price:performance. I never get anything on release week, usually wait for the feeding frenzy to end before I jump in. (Kinda like a Hyena ;) ) been burned before not waiting to see what is good and what is not, reviews do not cover everything...

Lol, I think I fall in the value segment. Right now the 4890 is at the price point I'm willing to pay. If nVidia brings out somethign faster down the track hopefully it'll push the 5870 down to current 4890 prices. THAT's when I intend to buy a new video card. :)

It's quite obvious that the beta drivers for the 5870 are having an impact on performance at the moment, the same happened with the 4870X2 when it was released. I'm looking for reviews in 2 months, then we'll get a more accurate picture of its capabilities.

It's quite obvious that the beta drivers for the 5870 are having an impact on performance at the moment, the same happened with the 4870X2 when it was released. I'm looking for reviews in 2 months, then we'll get a more accurate picture of its capabilities.

Things'll only get better Neural Net

QFT! I wish more nVidia fanboys realized this :bang head

i donno i kinda fall where i want the newest but i also want a card thats not going to suck up all my power and nvidia seems to suck up tons o power lately.

Not true :)

My 4890 chews more power, and runs hotter then my 295, at idle. loaded tho is a different story ;) Infact, if I can recall correctly, my old 285 ran cooler, and consumed less power for sure at ide, and possibly loaded.

Its too bad that the 4800 series cannot reduce their clocks like the new ati's, or even nvidia. My 4890 will overheat and lockup on a hot day, installing windows, ive never had an nv card do that lol.

But I digress..

Id still like a 5870, or even maybe the x2 version when its available :beer:

Not true :)

My 4890 chews more power, and runs hotter then my 295, at idle. loaded tho is a different story ;) Infact, if I can recall correctly, my old 285 ran cooler, and consumed less power for sure at ide, and possibly loaded.

Its too bad that the 4800 series cannot reduce their clocks like the new ati's, or even nvidia. My 4890 will overheat and lockup on a hot day, installing windows, ive never had an nv card do that lol.

But I digress..

Id still like a 5870, or even maybe the x2 version when its available :beer:

The 27W at idle makes the 5870 very attractive. I'd estimate only 10-15% of the time my computers turned on the video card is even used......

QFT! I wish more nVidia fanboys realized this :bang head

Lol, fanboys never will from either camp. Their product is better simply because its made by either nVidia or ATI. Actual qualities of the product they support will be shouted to the heavens, benefits of another companies products product are ignored. Seriously, its why they're fanboys. It also makes them dumb consumers.

Looks to be an awesome card. If I can save up enough money (i.e. get a new job) I might have to try getting 2 more of these giant 27.5" monitors and try some tri-screen racing! I'm assuming I'll need a 5870X2 to push the gfx properly. :santa:

The 27W at idle makes the 5870 very attractive. I'd estimate only 10-15% of the time my computers turned on the video card is even used......

That's why I'm looking forward to getting the 5850 to replace the 4850 in my file server. It's only used for gaming purposes a few hours during the weekend so the low power draw is a big selling point for me.

That's why I'm looking forward to getting the 5850 to replace the 4850 in my file server. It's only used for gaming purposes a few hours during the weekend so the low power draw is a big selling point for me.

Agreed. Once the price comes down I'll be pretty keen on one of these too.

I believe I am going to make do with my current 4870 512MB cards in Xfire, at least until the 5870X2 is released. I see enough performance to justify an upgrade now, but I'll wait for the X2 card before I spend the $$$$$.

Back