• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5k$ Workstation - looking for all possible advices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Paranoia and these reasons above are different things to me.

I agree with what you are saying as far as performance and value however. ;)

I just think an e1630 cpu/m4000 gpu is right up his alley add 32 gigs of ram and he's makin beans.

AIOs might be the way to go . Why do I say this , Is for the noise level if not looking for max OC performance 100% of the time. You can put some decent Fans that run @ a low rpm but still have good static pressure and it will have a much lower sound level than what you could get off air .

Once you go water most never really want to go back .
You can reuse water kits for years if you want even if you have to bust out some DIY brackets to make some things work .
When water cooling you dont really need to go for the TOP gear . Lower quality / Older blocks still do a great deal on systems .
I had a old RDX cpu block on my 950gtx . 30-40 deg temps on gfx cards is nice to see I love water on cards even when it doesnt help the oc that much .

AIOs might be the way to go . Why do I say this , Is for the noise level if not looking for max OC performance 100% of the time. You can put some decent Fans that run @ a low rpm but still have good static pressure and it will have a much lower sound level than what you could get off air .

Once you go water most never really want to go back .
You can reuse water kits for years if you want even if you have to bust out some DIY brackets to make some things work .
When water cooling you dont really need to go for the TOP gear . Lower quality / Older blocks still do a great deal on systems .
I had a old RDX cpu block on my 950gtx . 30-40 deg temps on gfx cards is nice to see I love water on cards even when it doesnt help the oc that much .

AIO's are not more quiet than a proper air cooler, nor do they give meaningful performance gains. I can link about 300 tests/shootouts that show this. AIO's benefit from size alone; you can fit a radiator in a smaller case to maintain performance.

Hi guys,

I hope you had lovely Xmas. Thank you for all your answers, you are really the best.

I want to ask you also about buying card with water cooling GPU.
How often do you have to change liquid and is it very hard to do it?
Do you have some reliable benchmarks of them?

Is it even worth it, or is it better to buy a card without water cooling?

If so - which one from GTX 1080 Ti do you recommend?

If something DOES go wrong, it'll be much harder to detect, and downtime will be much longer.

I understand, that you are not recommending water cooling for my purpose. It applies to GPU as well? I mean - place where GPU is mounted looks safer in case of leaking, or am I wrong and it's not worth it anyway?

Have a nice day!

You talking about adding a GPU to a custom loop or an AIO? An AIO you don't have to change anything. A custom loop should be broken down once /year and cleaned out. A couple of hours, no big deal. :)

AIO's are not more quiet than a proper air cooler, nor do they give meaningful performance gains. I can link about 300 tests/shootouts that show this. AIO's benefit from size alone; you can fit a radiator in a smaller case to maintain performance.

Plz link where a 3x120 aio gets beaten by a air cooler when normalized to 40dba

Plz link where a 3x120 aio gets beaten by a air cooler when normalized to 40dba

Ok. How many would you like to see?

6553_28_thermaltake_water_3_0_ultimate_360mm_aio_cpu_cooler_review.png

6553_29_thermaltake_water_3_0_ultimate_360mm_aio_cpu_cooler_review.png

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

noise-load.jpg

500x1000px-LL-f5c22782_6313_29_noctua_nh_d15_cpu_cooler_review.png

noise.jpg

Performance gains are in the "near negligible" range.

6553_26_thermaltake_water_3_0_ultimate_360mm_aio_cpu_cooler_review.png

Hi guys,

I hope you had lovely Xmas. Thank you for all your answers, you are really the best.

I want to ask you also about buying card with water cooling GPU.
How often do you have to change liquid and is it very hard to do it?
Do you have some reliable benchmarks of them?

Is it even worth it, or is it better to buy a card without water cooling?

If so - which one from GTX 1080 Ti do you recommend?

I understand, that you are not recommending water cooling for my purpose. It applies to GPU as well? I mean - place where GPU is mounted looks safer in case of leaking, or am I wrong and it's not worth it anyway?

Have a nice day!

For your application, I really dont see the need for water cooling. If you need extra space in the case or whatever; it would be a viable option, but for the uses you're describing, theres not much point in going with water cooling. Your budget is limiting your options, and there are better places to use that money or not even spending it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say as I saw anything that makes me want to run out and get a Noctua DH-15 over my 360 AIO.

Well you already own the AIO. Considering the NH-D15 gives nearly identical performance for half the cost... ehh its your money. Ultimately, thats fine; AIO's have their place. Looking at it from a business perspective, AIO's shouldn't be entertained, unless it serves some specific function.

What extra features do you get with that expensive MB than with something more mainstream or low end enthusiast? I would save money anywhere you can. Reason I say that is that I don't understand why people upgrade the whole system at a time. I upgrade a mobo proc and ram. Then a few years later upgrade video card. Build this build and then just plan it out to upgrade here and there.

I'd be more concerned about the type and quality of the monitor than anything else in this build. Make sure the case has more than adequate ventilation and get a excellent UPS so you can keep that system running just in case of power flickers and such.

Well you already own the AIO. Considering the NH-D15 gives nearly identical performance for half the cost... ehh its your money. Ultimately, thats fine; AIO's have their place. Looking at it from a business perspective, AIO's shouldn't be entertained, unless it serves some specific function.

"Already own" is a biggie. :) And it looks good in my case with the red fans. It also isn't as limited by case airflow as an air cooler would be. I can flip my fans and use them to pull outside air in if needed, without ramping up noisy case fans or or being as concerned with placement of my rig. There are definite advantages (for me) to a 360 AIO.

"Already own" is a biggie. :) And it looks good in my case with the red fans. It also isn't as limited by case airflow as an air cooler would be. I can flip my fans and use them to pull outside air in if needed, without ramping up noisy case fans or or being as concerned with placement of my rig. There are definite advantages (for me) to a 360 AIO.

You forgot to mention that it won't snap your motherboard in half...
lol

I haven't air cooled in years, but if I had to choose between an AIO, a custom loop and a top of the line air cooler for those applications, then I would go BIG AIR. The Noctua NH-D15 is the top dog of air coolers. All it needs to really do a superb job of cooling is good case air flow.

I'm still waiting on a NH-D14 S_I_N shipped to me via parcel post several years ago....still hasn't gotten here :facepalm:

Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to an air cooler. Maintenance (cleaning dust from a 360 radiator/fans is a pain) is one. For 'set it and forget it' the air cooler wins, but my specific needs put the AIO on top, and not hanging two pounds of hardware off my socket isn't to be discounted either.

I'm surprised that the Noctua NH-D15 costs as much as my H115i did.

I'm surprised to hear that, too. Wow. That brings the competition in to a little sharper focus. That's a lot of money for an air cooler.

edit: $90 for it here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...TCH&Description=Noctua+NH-D15&N=-1&isNodeId=1
As a side note, newegg needs to clean some of the garbage off their site. $212 for a Noctua DH-15? What's the point of having people wade through that crap?

I am a fan my self of custom loops PPL get hung up on the cost but spread that out over Multiple systems and the cost goes way down . PPL also think they need the the TOP dawg loop they really don't going from my 13+ year old block and rad to my new loop was very little (2-5 c ) gain . You could seriously use any old CPU block ( as long as you can fab a bracket ) + a sub 10$ heater core and get good results . Jays two cents and a few other your tubers just tested a 19 $ block off ebay that was only 2-3 deg difference from ek's newest .

There are some ppl I would recommend air cooling for but non of them are on this site =) as they have no clue about any part of their system besides it lets them go on facebook.

There is an elitist mentality with custom loops . And all the "WORK" that goes along with it but really there isn't you can ( and I have done ) run a loop with zero maintenance for many years with out major decrease in cooling .
Remember you still need to clean your air coolers or the performance goes down .

Heck i had a passive water cooling loop for a time and it worked just fine fore many months .

Back