• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5k$ Workstation - looking for all possible advices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm surprised to hear that, too. Wow. That brings the competition in to a little sharper focus. That's a lot of money for an air cooler.

edit: $90 for it here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...TCH&Description=Noctua+NH-D15&N=-1&isNodeId=1
As a side note, newegg needs to clean some of the garbage off their site. $212 for a Noctua DH-15? What's the point of having people wade through that crap?

i just click the "newegg" radial button and call it a day most of the time.

Hopefully this is of some use...

What exactly is the majority use for the system? eg is it gamedev eg in unreal, or is it modelling etc.
And are we just talking gamedev asset creation or are you doing cad/architectural visualisation work?

Depending on your answers to these, the advice would vary a lot.

For baking for weeks you are going to want water cooling and I would say go AIO - going air the heat+noise will drive you insane for long bakes.

Regarding gamedev yes, geforce is better than quadro, but if doing any cad/arch-vis, going quadro will give you faster workflow due to tuned drivers for those kind of tasks - eg high antialiasing etc

If you really will be lugging the thing round PAX etc, then whatever you build will all weigh relatively the same.

Are you buying this yourself as an indie, or are you being provided the equipment by your employer?

If indie I say look at workstations such as recent hp z820 z840, would allow you to max out many aspects and they can come with 2 cpus and aio watercooling.
Can take lots of ram, could even have ramdisk for compiling (beats ANY ssd) regarding speed.

What exactly is the majority use for the system? eg is it gamedev eg in unreal, or is it modelling etc.
And are we just talking gamedev asset creation or are you doing cad/architectural visualisation work?

Mostly, game dev and I am buying this as an indie - we create games in the small team. I am also creating visualizations and video editing, but game dev is the priority.

Thank you for all your answers. If it comes to AIO, there is another reason, why I am more convinced: sometimes, this PC will have to travel to game fairs. I am afraid of bumping heavy cooler on a motherboard. Am I paranoid? Or this could generate some micro damage?

I have also though time with picking motherboard.... All top motherboards have some flaws. One does not have Thunderbolt, other have really weird reviews about troubles with bios. New motherboard appeared, which seems to have everything I need ( Including 3 x m.2 on PCI-E ) but.... it does not have any reviews :( I am talking about GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX Does anyone have any info about this board?

Thank you :)

Its their flagship expensive as all get out board... doubt you need it as there are plenty of 3 x M.2 PCIe boards out there.

Its their flagship expensive as all get out board... doubt you need it as there are plenty of 3 x M.2 PCIe boards out there.

Could you be so kind and give me your proposition? Some people are convincing me that I should buy a much cheaper motherboard, but isn't it the most important part, that has to be the most durable and have "future"? I am planning to use this PC at least 5-7 years to constant work. ( I am working everyday 10 hours a day, after that some gaming) Also about m.2 ports - maybe I don't understand it correctly, but many of them are sharing ports with SATA, aren't they slower versions of m.2? Also, this mobo has double bios, which saved my skin once.

But I am not insisting on it of course ;)

PS: Not important, but this mobo is beautiful :D

Why does expensive = durable and future???? A $300 mobo has just as good of a chance to crap out as a $500 mobo... ;)

Regarding M.2, some share with SATA ports, some share with PCIe lanes... it depends on the board and how they do it as it varies quite a bit. Are you going to be using all the SATA ports so its a NEED or are you worrying without an educated reason?

Maybe I missed it in this 45+ post thread, but how many M.2 drives and SATA port connected drives are you using??? You literaly have two drives TOTAL in the first post...

Yes, because I am gonna buy more drives later.
I am in the place in life, that if everything will go all right, I will start VR game dev studio, and this PC is gonna be the main machine. I want to have all possibilities that I can because I could not predict exactly which of them would become handy. I rather buy perfect mobo now, with less ram and fewer drives, and buy more later.
Of course, I am not blind, I know that I can buy expensive crap in tech factor, that's why I am asking you guys ;)

I am not fixed on this specific board. Have you heard of a board that is perfect for me?

Many can be... I would go through newegg and select the features you want and choose from there.

That platform typically has several SATA ports regardless if 1/2 may be used for M.2.

Back