• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5v/12v mod Enermax 465w Psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well, finally got the cojones to go ahead and do the vmods on the Enermax psu in the dualie. Lemme start by saying this is the same mod i did that killed the same exact psu i had in my P4 rig. My guess was there was more than 1 guide and several different ways to do it. I went with the first guide which is supposed to be the original. Apparently it killed the psu :mad: The patient that was operated on was the Enermax EG465P-VE .

So what's different this time? Well i used a different approach along with countless days of research. This is the guide i used this time and tho it was scary as hell, it was a success :D The fear was i thought i was gonna have a repeat of "Die psu pt1", but to my surprise it went very well. I also went ahead and did the +3.3v mod. I figured what the heck right? ;)

B4 the mods:

MBM shows:

+3.3v = 3.34v
+5v = 4.84v
+12v = 11.98

DMM shows:

+3.3v = 3.39v
+5v = 5.04v
+12v = 12.13v

Now after the mods:

MBM shows:

+3.3v = 3.42v
+5v = 5.15v
+12v = 12.55v

DMM shows:

+3.3v = 3.50v
+5v= 5.40v
+12v = 12.72v

Mind you by adding the 10k pot in series with the R82 resistor it raised the 5v line dramically, but the bonus is it also raised the 12v line too :) So you get 2 mods in 1 which i think is awsome. The downside is it's a tricky mod and you have to pay close attention to what you're doing otherwise it will result in a dead psu with the quickness. Because the psu is in my dualie (MSI K7D M-L) if you crank the +3.3v rail pass 3.5 volts, the mobo will refuse to boot with that siren and the LED displaying the memory error. I just tuned it down to 3.5 and she's rock steady stable. Hope this helps someone out there with the same psu. :beer:

lol, Well if the R82 resistor is there, I don't see a problem. If your psu has only 1 vsense wire (Thin brown +3.3v), then i'm sure you sould'nt have a problem. Be sure to set the pot to 1K b4 soldering it.

to tell you i havent done a volt mod in my life... hrmm maybe 9800 pro pencil mod will do for now. anyway to tell the difference in cores incase its the newer core that doesnt let u vmod it? is there a stiky or thread about that? (im a newb)

daniel_dynasty said:
to tell you i havent done a volt mod in my life... hrmm maybe 9800 pro pencil mod will do for now. anyway to tell the difference in cores incase its the newer core that doesnt let u vmod it? is there a stiky or thread about that? (im a newb)

For video cards look in the Ati section Here . Lots of great info, links, and knowledgable ppl in that section willing to lend a hand :) .

I am a bit confussed. Why bother modding a PSU? why not get a better one to begine with? Is this a problem all PSUs tend to have? or is this one of those deals when you mod for moddings sake?...I am not trying to be an arse here just I freak when presented with any sort of volt mod. is it just a crappy PSU?

Speaking as someone who did the same mod to an Enermax psu a couple of years ago-

I did it because I needed more power to get the overclock I wanted at the time- I was trying to get an XP1600 Pally to 2 Ghz in an Epox 8KHA+ mobo (KT266a chipset.)

The Epox board was known for being 5v "hungry", as was the cpu I had.
My Enermax PSU kept the 5v line in spec up to about 2.1v vcore, 3.3v vdimm even with two cd drives and the hard drive.
But that was only enough to get me to 1900 and a bit. ;)
To get good 5 volt readings with vcore at 2.2 and vdimm at 3.5 volts, I needed more 5 volt power.

I could have spent $150 or more on another psu that might not have done any better, or I could just get a $2 pot and pull out my soldering iron.

I still use that psu in my main system now, rock stable and no drop in voltages. :)

So yeah, it can be a way to keep from buying a new psu for a lot more money.

There are power supplies available now that have adjustable rails built in, and I consider them a great investment for those who want to really MAX an overclock out, but getting a good, solid unit that doesn't have factory pots and adding them yourself can be a good way to make do and save a few bucks. ;)

As far as modding for modding's sake: yes, but not in this case. ;)
I am a believer in using cheap components and abusing them until they perform like the more expensive ones whenever possible- if I can save $20 on a stick of ram by just adding a pot and fan to increase voltage a few more tenths, I'll usually do it.
That's about 75% of the fun. ;)

Nebulizer! Congrats, amigo!
We may have to get some parts ready so you can give a few soldering lessons at the LAN. ;))

ahh okies I see the point now.. I have the true control 550 and it has those adjustable rails....just seemed like a good Idea when i bought it...sorry wasn't trying to sound like a terd...just went with the biggest and baddest stuff i could find when i went to build my system...I am learning things here and there and I recon I was smart about some things and stupid on others....I'm learning!

I have the Enermax EG465P-VE, my +3.3V only +2.72V @ full load right now. the other lines are ok. Do i need Volt mod for it?

Right now it running at full load:
+3.3V = 2.72V
+5V = 5.11V
+12V = 11.92V
-12V = -12.44V
-5V = -5.49V

Please help me to bring 3.3V line back to normal

Yeah. Your 3.3v rail is extremely low. You can do the Vsense wire mod which is the easiest to do.

Vmod guide .

I did'nt use the fixed resistor since it hindered the adjustments. I just added the 10K VR pot alone in my other psu's 3.3v rail.

Set the 10K Pot to max (10K) with a digital multimeter. Solder 1 leg to the thin orange(or brown) wire and the middle leg to black wire (GND). Cut off the last (3rd) leg of the pot. Then hook up the multimeter to the 5 pin AUX connector. Set the meter's setting to 20V DC. Red to orange and black to ground. Fire the psu up and adjust the pot and watch the 3.3v rail go up.

:D

Last edited:
Diablo23RD said:
Thanks a lot!! I will do it in this weekend

P.S. u got a nice b#tt

Np, hope it works for you.

The butt is attached to my g/f :D , but yeah you can say it's mine ;)

Diablo23RD said:
Man, I use the meter check the 3.3V rail. It is 3.3V So I am set! Thanks

Most xcellent. Check your rails while the pc is under load, that's how you know you have plenty of juice feeding the rig :)

Last edited:
Back