• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

60C too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swedekid

Registered
Ok, I just got overclocked my q6600 to 3.15 ghz and I'm running a stability test right now. I was watching the temps in speed fan and here they are:
Temp1: 47C
Temp2: 51C
Temp3: 44C
HD-: 45C
TEmp1:39C
Core0: 59C
Core 1: 58C
Core2: 55C
Core3: 61C

This was after about 10 minutes in the stability test. My fans nearing it's max RPM of 2500 (currently 2300) is this too hot you think? And if it is is there some way I could force my fan to give me the extra 200 RPM? And I guess overclocking to 3.6 isn't going to happen? Also would putting some more thermal paste on it decrease the temps a bit? And how long should I run the stability test for? 3 or 4 hours long enough?

Ok, I just got overclocked my q6600 to 3.15 ghz and I'm running a stability test right now. I was watching the temps in speed fan and here they are:

This was after about 10 minutes in the stability test. My fans nearing it's max RPM of 2500 (currently 2300) is this too hot you think? And if it is is there some way I could force my fan to give me the extra 200 RPM? And I guess overclocking to 3.6 isn't going to happen? Also would putting some more thermal paste on it decrease the temps a bit? And how long should I run the stability test for? 3 or 4 hours long enough?

Those temps are actually pretty good. Just stay 25 - 30c away from tjmax and you'll be fine. DON'T put more thermal paste on though, whatever you do. Any more would most likely raise the temps by insulating the CPU. If you can't get to 3.6Ghz, it's most likely you're NB running too hot, or your RAM running to fast. For example, I can't get above 3.82Ghz at the moment because my NB runs too hot when I start raising my vCore above 1.3v (I'll have to get a separate fan and strap it to the NB). Run the initial stability test for at least 8 hours (over night is easiest). Most people say 24 hours, but that's too long for me because I need my frickin PC!! :beer:

Those temps are actually pretty good. Just stay 25 - 30c away from tjmax and you'll be fine. DON'T put more thermal paste on though, whatever you do. Any more would most likely raise the temps by insulating the CPU. If you can't get to 3.6Ghz, it's most likely you're NB running too hot, or your RAM running to fast. For example, I can't get above 3.82Ghz at the moment because my NB runs too hot when I start raising my vCore above 1.3v (I'll have to get a separate fan and strap it to the NB). Run the initial stability test for at least 8 hours (over night is easiest). Most people say 24 hours, but that's too long for me because I need my frickin PC!! :beer:

Well I guess I didn't word the 3.6 thing quite right. Would overclocking it to 3.6 increase the temps a lot more than 60c?

Well I guess I didn't word the 3.6 thing quite right. Would overclocking it to 3.6 increase the temps a lot more than 60c?

It would only raise the temp if you had to add more vCore. Try 3.6 with the vCore you're at now and if that doesn't work raise vCore incrementally until it does work. But if you had to raise vCore, your temps shouldn"t go up that much....just keep an eye on the NB temp as well.

In other words, simply raising frequency doesn't raise the temp, but more voltage will.

It would only raise the temp if you had to add more vCore. Try 3.6 with the vCore you're at now and if that doesn't work raise vCore incrementally until it does work. But if you had to raise vCore, your temps shouldn"t go up that much....just keep an eye on the NB temp as well.

In other words, simply raising frequency doesn't raise the temp, but more voltage will.
Northbridge temp I guess you mean? What program should I use for that?
And on Core temp I got 58, 59, 57,61 under load.

Yeah, North Bridge temp. I use Everest to monitor it.

Ok downloaded the free versino off MajorGeeks and I have no idea how to see the temp of the NB, I checked every single thing in the Motherboard section and didn't see anything to do with temperatures in it.

And also another concern about getting to 3.6 is if I amazingly somehow magically get there on stock volts would it increase the heat? Before I overclocked to 3.2 it was around 40c idle (now around 50c idle) and I have stock voltage.

Ok downloaded the free versino off MajorGeeks and I have no idea how to see the temp of the NB, I checked every single thing in the Motherboard section and didn't see anything to do with temperatures in it.

And also another concern about getting to 3.6 is if I amazingly somehow magically get there on stock volts would it increase the heat? Before I overclocked to 3.2 it was around 40c idle (now around 50c idle) and I have stock voltage.

It's all a matter of whether or not your board supports temp monitoring of the NB. If your motherboard's chip doesn't support monitoring of the chipset then you won't get a reading or the reading will be way off. Your best bet may be to get a cheap temp probe.

And no, just raising the CPU frequency shouldn't raise your temp.

It's all a matter of whether or not your board supports temp monitoring of the NB. If your motherboard's chip doesn't support monitoring of the chipset then you won't get a reading or the reading will be way off. Your best bet may be to get a cheap temp probe.

Ok, what voltages do I need to increase to get it to 3.6 as I just tried and the computer wouldn't boot so I put it back to 3.25.

Ok, what voltages do I need to increase to get it to 3.6 as I just tried and the computer wouldn't boot so I put it back to 3.25.

I'm not quite sure for the Q6600, you might want to wait until someone else replies that owns a quad. My dual core can go safely to 1.4v, but you may need more.

with air I wouldn't go much higher than 1.4 myself (1.5 for water) I can hit 3.6 with only 1.38v (could be lower than that tho) with my 1.250vid q6600

with air I wouldn't go much higher than 1.4 myself (1.5 for water) I can hit 3.6 with only 1.38v (could be lower than that tho) with my 1.250vid q6600

How much of a heat increase could I expect going to 1.38v?

Um, raising the frequency of the CPU is the single most cause for increasing temps....my CPU runs only 2C hotter from 1.32 to 1.38, but add 500mhz to the speed and it's an instant 10C.

Intel's max temperature for the SLACR G0 Q6600 is 71c and 62c for the SL9UM B3 Q6600. I would find out what processor you have and post that along with what vcore you are using, the motherboard model and what type of heatsink you have.

It almost sounds that you are using a stock heatsink if you get 61c @ 3.15Ghz. What vcore did you use to get to 3.15Ghz?

For reference, I use 1.47vcore @ 3.6Ghz and my temps do no go above 68c. I also have a TRU 120 with a push/pull fan configuration.

So, get us the current vcore for 3.15GHz, your processor stepping (G0 or B3, use cpu-z), motherboard model and heatsink information. Also, that extra 200 RPM is not going to be of any advantage to you if you are using a stock cooler. A couple of hours should be enough to see if your system is stable enought to continue the testing. Ususally Prime95 fails within the first 20 minutes if your system is unstable.

Last edited:
yeah, I'm under water and at 1.50 @ 3.84ish I top out at 66 under prime. Stock is only 3c cooler than o/c tho, and speedstep idle is same as o/c idle.

Intel's max temperature for the SLACR G0 Q6600 is 71c and 62c for the SL9UM B3 Q6600. I would find out what processor you have and post that along with what vcore you are using, the motherboard model and what type of heatsink you have.

It almost sounds that you are using a stock heatsink if you get 61c @ 3.15Ghz. What vcore did you use to get to 3.15Ghz?

For reference, I use 1.47vcore @ 3.6Ghz and my temps do no go above 68c. I also have a TRU 120 with a push/pull fan configuration.

So, get us the current vcore for 3.15GHz, your processor stepping (G0 or B3, use cpu-z), motherboard model and heatsink information. Also, that extra 200 RPM is not going to be of any advantage to you if you are using a stock cooler. A couple of hours should be enough to see if your system is stable enought to continue the testing. Ususally Prime95 fails within the first 20 minutes if your system is unstable.
That sounds like my q6600 but im running a xigmatek. I might try the TRUE and see if I can drop a few c.

That sounds like my q6600 but im running a xigmatek. I might try the TRUE and see if I can drop a few c.

I am sure it will. Your thermal compound will have an effect on the final load temperature as well. I use Tuniq-TX2 and thinking about trying some IC7 as it gave a member here some 10c temp drop.

Ok, my motherboard is aDFI Lanparty DK X38, heatsink is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 .

Heres what the cpu tab in cpu-z says.
Specification: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz

Family: 6 Model: F Stepping: B
EXT Family: 6 Ext. Model: F Revision: G0

And I had a stability test running last night for about 8 hours and when I woke up my fans were extremely loud and I couldn't get out of the standby on the monitor so I don't know if that's a sign of instability or what? I'm running Prime95 right now. But my CPU usage isn't very high with it at all just around 60%. Which test should I do? I'm running the balanced one right now.

Back