• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

70mm radiators?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
Just wondering, are there any 70mm radiators out there? I seen 40mm,50mm,60mm and 80mm but never 70mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering, are there any 70mm radiators out there? I seen 40mm,50mm,60mm and 80mm but never 70mm.

Afaik 70mm doesn't exist but to add to your comments, they also have 30mm and 45mm (Alphacool ST30s and XT45s) as well as 55mm from BlackIce (SR1s).

Just so we are all on the same page here.
I mean a rad for 70mm fans, not 70mm thick.

That bad?

I know 70mm fans aren't all to common out side of blade servers anymore, but given their once popularity along with 40,50,60mm rads being out there you'd think 70mm rads would be available.
Maybe ill do more modding to my case and fit a triple 80mm rad in the back of the case.

Last edited:
That bad?

I know 70mm fans aren't all to comon out side of blade servers anymore, but given their once popularity along with 40,50,60mm rads being out there youd think 70mm rads would be available.
Maybe ill do more modding to my case and fit a trible 80mm rad in the back of the case.

What case are you working with and what other Rads are you using?

What case are you working with and what other Rads are you using?

Custom case, its started out life as a Intel Sc5250, but its been modded to fit a 20 slot IPC PICMG back plane system.
I'm not sure yet what all I'll be using rad wizes as I'm not all sure what will fit.

If I'm lucky I'll be using a dual 80mm, a 92mm and a 120mm. If I can find one a quad/triple 70mm if not a triple 80mm or 2 dual 80mm if I can cram it into the case. I may be able to fit 3 dual 80mm's rads if I mod the rear of the case some more.
I may be able to fit a second 120mm in the case inplace of the 92mm. All but the rear 70/80mm rad will be sucking in air so I want something in the back blowing out most of the hot air before it hits the front rads.

I'll be cooling a 980ti or titan X. Maybe the CPU if I upgrade to Coffee Lake or something I can OC more then a few 100Mhz. But the video card is more important, I'll be overclocking it a little and I want to shut it the hell up. Its hot and its humid where I live with no real AC in my old home as we don't need it. The system runs very hot, even with all the server fans running full blast and liquid metal compound. The 970 I have now is pushing 85-90c on hotter days when folding. The 6700t is however fine its never over 75c, its passively cooled and running at 3.2ghz. A real air cooler will be far better buy then water cooling for the cpu.

Attached if a photo of the system, not the best and its old, but it gives you and idea of what its like

Last edited:
I think your best case scenario is to create a external system with just the tubing going back inside the case to the blocks and back out.

Also, as you probably already know, you will only get the temps your ambient range will allow so if you're in a already warm environment, any cooling won't do much if it's already high.

I think your best case scenario is to create a external system with just the tubing going back inside the case to the blocks and back out.

Also, as you probably already know, you will only get the temps your ambient range will allow so if you're in a already warm environment, any cooling won't do much if it's already high.

Defiantly not going external. And yes I already know about the whole ambient problem. I want to get closer to ambient without 70+ dba fans. It was 94f today and I could not use my PC without it screening or running very hot. If I can get the video card down to the 60c range that would be more then fine.

I think I'll just mod the case more and put a triple 80mm rad in the rear as it looks like 70mm rads are not out there.

Honesltly, if you want silence, stick with 30mm-45mm rads from alphacool with some nice low to mid speed quality rad fans. You don't want to go too think otherwise even with a low fpi rad, you still need to jack up the fans a bit unless you're doing P/P say around 1000 RPM but I personally wouldn't go lower then 1200-1400 RPM on a 80mm thick rad.

Honesltly, if you want silence, stick with 30mm-45mm rads from alphacool with some nice low to mid speed quality rad fans. You don't want to go too think otherwise even with a low fpi rad, you still need to jack up the fans a bit unless you're doing P/P say around 1000 RPM but I personally wouldn't go lower then 1200-1400 RPM on a 80mm thick rad.

Totally agree!
The thicker rads require more static pressure to push through all the fins, and that long term cost to the user, is higher noise levels to deal with.

I appreciate the help guys, but your preaching to the choir.

On topic. One thing that's over looked with thicker rads is the increase in surface area and water volume. If done right a the loss of air flow through the rad will be somewhat canceled out by the larger surface area and water volume. However in the long run without a push pull setup or 38mm or thicker fans and a stronger pump or a rad with really low FPI things will get hotter then with a thinner rad with similar FPI.

But a thinner rad can also lead to hotter temps in the long run too. Your run into the problem of not having enough surface area to dissipate the heat with out faster fans. There is a happy medium in regards to cooling, rad size and fan RPMs.

Last edited:
I appreciate the help guys, but your preaching to the choir.

On topic. One thing that's over looked with thinker rads is the increase in surface area and water volume. If done right a the loss of air flow through the rad will be somewhat canceled out by the larger surface area and water volume. However in the long run without a push pull setup or 38mm or thicker fans and a stronger pump or a rad with really low FPI things will get hotter then with a thinner rad with similar FPI.

But a thinner rad can also lead to hotter temps in the long run too. Your run into the problem of not having enough surface area to dissipate the heat with out faster fans. There is a happy medium in regards to cooling, rad size and fan RPMs.

I think you're giving too much credit to thicker rads versus the thinner rads. Sure the more heat surface the better but usually that plays out better if you were to add more rads in general then just base it on thickness of a rad. You won't see a huge difference between a thick vs thin but the thickness is there if you're aiming for every little decimal of a degree but hey, to each their own. :salute:

I think you're giving too much credit to thicker rads versus the thinner rads. Sure the more heat surface the better but usually that plays out better if you were to add more rads in general then just base it on thickness of a rad. You won't see a huge difference between a thick vs thin but the thickness is there if you're aiming for every little decimal of a degree but hey, to each their own. :salute:

Your definitely better of having more thinner rads then one or two thicker ones. I guess what I was getting at is that a thicker rad is not a total negative trade off when compared to a thinner one. Etch has its pros/cons and require its own setup to be effective.

Last edited:
Back