• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

70mm radiators?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your definitely better of having more thinner rads then one or two thicker ones. I guess what I was getting at is that a thicker rad is not a total negative trade off when compared to a thinner one. Etch has its pros/cons and require its own setup to be effective.

I concur.

Anyway I'll go with a 45mm thick triple 80mm rad to start with. I'm sure I'd be cutting it close cooling a 980ti with a triple 80mm. If that dose not cut it I'll add a 120mm in the front and 92mm and dual 80mm in the front if the 120mm does not help enough.

Yes 70mm square and not thick, I'm not sure if I'm going to water cool the 980ti yet. But if I do I'll be using a triple 80mm rad.
Seeing that some 980ti and titan X cards come with a water cooler and use just one 120mm rad I think a triple 80mm would work. 120mm vs 240mm, however more space in a 240mm triple 80mm rad is wasted by fan motors and the mounting tabs on the edge of the rad. So it should be about the same or a little better then one 120mm rad.

For now I'll add a second 120mm in the front of the case, lap the GPU heat sink, move the m.2 drive bellow the CPU card and maybe make a fan shroud for the GPU. If that doesn't shut it up and make it run cooler I'll go water.

Last edited:
By the numbers, 3x80 mm is 240 mm of rad, so not an uncommon selection as far as heat dissipation goes. 120 mm for 100 watts is the general rule of thumb, right?

By the numbers, 3x80 mm is 240 mm of rad, so not an uncommon selection as far as heat dissipation goes. 120 mm for 100 watts is the general rule of thumb, right?

Honestly its far me complex then you need X amount of rad for X amount of heat.
Air temp, fan speed, pump and water amount all matter to. And so dose rad thickness.

It used to be 120 per device, then 120 for 125w now adays it 120mm per every 100w.

As for the 80x3 thing, its not quite 240mm, you lose more air flow from the fan motors and housings and the mounting tabs on the sides of the rad. Its more like 200mm.

Yeah, but if those minor differences make or break your cooling you're probably too close to the edge anyway. All of which goes out the window when your case size sets hard limits on your cooling creativity. Then it's Dremel time! Nothing like a round of blivet construction to get the creative juices flowing. LOL

blivet.JPG
When you can't fit a 120, but really need a 240. :clap:

Yeah, but if those minor differences make or break your cooling you're probably too close to the edge anyway. All of which goes out the window when your case size sets hard limits on your cooling creativity. Then it's Dremel time! Nothing like a round of blivet construction to get the creative juices flowing. LOL

View attachment 198856
When you can't fit a 120, but really need a 240. :clap:
Power tools can fix alot of problems, just not ED. Its not worth the try to find out.

On a more serious note. This is a system I want to keep looking like its from the 90s/early 00s. Cutting a hole in the case for a 240mm rad will not go well with the look. Nor is size of the case the problem. Its a PICMG system you need a really really big case to fit a 120mm anywhere other then the top or fount of the case. They just were not meant to be water cooled. They were never meant to be put into a normal PC case ether, but a shoe box wall mount case or rack mount case.

Most PICMG systems end up in AC cooled server rooms and control factory equipment. I'm crazy and use one as a desktop system. I think anyone that spends 250$ on a h110 chipset board is nuts. But it will last 20 some years be for it even starts to have problems, passably even 30. So yeah their reliable.

These are the two type of cases they are meant to be installed in.
https://buy.advantech.com/Chassis/Rackmount-Chassis/model-IPC-610BP-00XHE.htm
https://buy.advantech.com/Chassis/Wallmount-Chassis/model-IPC-6606BP-00XE.htm

Last edited:
No, I'm using a old ATX server case that's been modded to fit a picmg system, I have 4 70mm fans for exhaust along with the 120mm fan in the psu.

Here are some older photos of the case when I was working on modding it still.

Well this sucks. After doing some detailed measurements I found that fitting a 80mm rad in the back will not work so well.
The CPU card sticks out to far and Id have to make a new flat rear pillar that is also includes the rear panel.
Right now the rear panel and pillar are two pieces of metal screwed together and they would have to be one piece to fit a 80mm rad. Being one piece would widen the usable mounting space by about 8mm.

Wile I could make it work, it be a tight fit and even less ideal.
I have the room for a triple 80mm rad in the case, but not without modding the rear pillar and panel and getting a thinner CPU card.

Oh well.

I'll lap the GPU heat sink and put better TIM on it. I already (poorly/quickly) lapped the CPU heat sink and it drooped about 15c :shock: that's the biggest jump I ever seen from just lapping a heat sink. The surface of the CPU heat sink did look like it was belt sanded to 250grit. I lapped it to 2500 grit stating a 200 grit to flatten it out.
Once I get a 7700 I'll lap it better and put a fan on it.

I ordered better 70mm fans for the rear. They will push a little more per dba and I'll put a third 120mm fan in the front of the case.

Hopefully all that will shut the system up.

Last edited:
Back